Poll: Microtransactions vs Paid DLC

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Microtransactions can go die in a fire. There is no reason that there should ever.....evereverevereverEVER, be any form of microtransaction in a price release. I don't care if you pay 60 bucks or 10, if yo bought the game at the asking price you are entitled everything that game has to offer without micropenises. It is okay that a player needs to put in work with the game to see/get everything within, and not every player will do that, but that is okay too.

DLC is kind of a mixed bag. I am okay with big sprawling DLC's like the past two DLC's for the Witcher 3. Dlc that comes across as expansion packs are fine. But DLC to unlock characters already on the disc at release? Fuck you CAPCOM!

Things that are okay: (basically things here that take months of extra development, and can't logically be earned in game)

Map packs
Expansion packs. (new levels, characters, story missions, etc)

Things that are not: (anything that required minimal effort to create and has no excuse not to be put in the game for free for players to earn as a form of progression)

Character costumes (no reason for a player not to be able to get alternate outfits for characters in game, this is what achievements should be for)
New weapons (Adding a new AK-47 in a shooter shouldn't be a paid item, but rather something earned through gameplay)
Skippable content (This is a new microtransaction we've seen recently. Namely Forza in which you can just pay an extra 50 bucks to unlock everything in the game, removing all forms of progression possible in the game which defeats the point of the FUCKING GAME!)

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I can't say I like either, though I've actually bought DLC in the past, the best of which was probably the Artorias DLC for DS1.
Frankly, I think both are an indictment of the industry, since companies are more likely to cut down on disc content in favour of drip feeding the consumer more stuff down the line. However, DLC can be good if it's developed a good while after the original release as a sort of mini-sequel, while microtransactions are just there to make more money from a player. Free-to-play titles are rarely paragons of the practice, and full priced releases should be ashamed of themselves for putting in any in-game transactions that you can substitute real money for.

My views align quite closely to Jim's in this regard, I suppose.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I'd have to go with DLC, at least the DLC that adds substance. There's obviously mediocre DLC as well. Dying Light's "Parkour Olympics" or whatever it was called, vs The Following, for instance. One added a new map bigger then the existing ones, storylines, side missions, and cars. The other added a bunch of dumb time trial missions.

Microtransactions seem to pop up either in full-priced games to start with, where unlocks are otherwise gated behind hours of play and/or horrible RNG (PvZ:GW, Overwatch, Battleborn---- I guess I'm really just familiar with this in the hero shooter genre). OR in free-to-play games where I've yet to run across them actually resembling MICRO-transactions. For instance, playing SMITE with buddies, and you run into single skins running 10-15 dollars.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Paid DLC is fine. The problem with Paid DLC is that companies abuse that aspect and have Day 1 DLC, announce DLC packages at the same time as the game is first revealed, or have Paid DLC for something that should not be DLC at all (like hard more or whatever.) It is a joke how greedily companies carve up their games just to get as much money as possible. THAT type of practice needs to stop. However, a company that releases paid content months or even a year after release is perfectly fine and is a good thing that I don't mind paying for.

As for Microtransactions.... Yeah, no. That stuff can go to the deepest level of Hell where it belongs. Especially if it is a full-priced game. I have no tolerance for that nonsense.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If the game was free like eg Spiral Knight and Hawken then I can understand microtranaction to a certain degee (how else are they going to make money from a FREE game?). I don't forgive them if they hold the game hostage for money (in Spiral Knight, you need this very rare item to craft the next tier armor in order to proceed the story) or pay 2 win.

DLC I am willing to slide since at the end of the day, it is up to you wheather to buy it or not as you already paid the core game and it continue to run without the dlc.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
DLC can mean anything from downloadable expansion packs to locked content on disc to tiny cosmetics.

I understand microtransactions to mean pay walls, as in pay up or grind hard, if you want to continue.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I honestly kind of like DLC in the story-expansion form. RAAM's Shadow, Left Behind, The Old Hunters, love that stuff.

My only problem with it is purely personal: I've started buying Season Passes. Sometimes, I don't mind it, paying for all of Life Is Strange up front, don't regret it but I didn't really need the season pass for Gears 3 *just* for RAAM's Shadow considering I ended up paying for a bunch of multiplayer stuff I wasn't gonna use and I bought the Season Passes for Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Fallout 4 and I haven't touched the DLC in those games, just haven't felt the drive.

That was a whole bunch of useless information.

I like story expansions, don't care for anything else, to put a nice bow on it.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Paid DLC if done right, no question. Like the expansions for Fallout and Borderlands.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Aren't micro's also just, y'know, downloadable content that's paid for? The distinctions blur, especially with some games.

...aside from semantics: depends on the game. Generally I'm all for a few major expansions, but with a game like Elite Dangerous I can understand them wishing to offer cosmetic DLC such as ship skin packs or unique single skins (or bobbleheads and alphabet letters for the dashboard... but fuck both of those right out the airlock), to augment and ostensibly help fund the ongoing project.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Not a fan of either but they can be done right unfortunately its rarely how can we keep improving the game and still receive money to allow us to do so and more how do we scam as much money as possible from the people before they catch on to us? At least that is what it seems like.

I prefer paying for the game and getting everything for the game then. If the DLC later is a substantial expansion to an already full product I do not mind as long as it is priced accordingly.

If the DLC/Microtransactions are purely cosmetic and allow them to keep supporting the game possibly adding new modes/levels/characters for free later then while I am not a huge fan I tolerate them and honestly am not to bothered if I thought the initial product wss already substantial.

I also dont mind DLC if its say 10 months or more after the games release in fact I like that they are supporting it so far after its release but unfortunately its usually all front loaded along with a season pass for maximum mulla. Then of course there is always that wonder of how much it impacted how much you would have got if there was no DLC i.e was it ripped from the game to be resold to you.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ideally none, but the lesser of both evils is paid DLC. The way microtransactions is being used is more scummy nowadays.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Darth Rosenberg said:
Aren't micro's also just, y'know, downloadable content that's paid for? The distinctions blur, especially with some games.
No when you add random pack element to the microtransactions (at least with paid DLC you know what you'll get). That's just gambling real money for virtual content.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
People need to think a bit more about what they are posting, this isnt 2008 anymore.

Rainbow Six Siege is the perfect example of good DLC/Microtransactions, you get meaty DLC for free because certain people are ok with spending money for some extra that they find worth their money (skins and a two week advance with the new characters classes).

I, for example, am not one of those that would buy that content, but if I made a shitload more money in real life I probably would buy for the two week advance because the cost to me would be less, therefore worth it. Still, while I dont make that money and dont buy that content I can still get the new maps and characters for free. If that DLC was paid (maps plus character classes) and the skins were free then I would have to actually spend more money on the game to get the maps and characters because that is what actually matters. The skins and two week advance are basicly bonus, content that no one would actually miss if it was never part of the release plan.

So yeah, I guess people here prefer to having to spend more money on the game for the same content.

I know that microtransactions have a bad rep (because for a long time they were real shit), but recently they have started to be much more understandable, progress in the games are kept at a nice pace and they either sell a shortcut for content that is earned through normal play or sell really unnecessary stuff, while supporting the game with some big free content.

CritialGaming said:
Things that are okay: (basically things here that take months of extra development, and can't logically be earned in game)

Map packs
Expansion packs. (new levels, characters, story missions, etc)
If this is paid then you might as well release a patch to uninstall the game automaticly, Red Orchestra 2 kind of managed to smartly get around it but in most cases all it ends up doing is dividing the player base, the new levels will always be less played and eventually no one plays them because no one is willing to wait long times looking for players.

Red Orchestra 2 let anyone with the base game play the expansion although they were limited to only play the most basic class, yet in that game classes have player limits so it was normal even in the base game to have most people playing with the most basic class.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
I have seen 2 "great" DLC so far in the entire history of games that I have played so far.

And that is good enough for me to convince me that somewhere, somehow, there is tiny impossibly small chance of something like that happening again.

I have yet to see Microtransactions save anything, other than game publisher's wallets. F*** microtransactions.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh don't encourage the publishers. If i complete a game and still demand a fresh experience from it, i just do a shot of absinthe in each eyeball, then replay the game on hardest difficulty upside down with a cat on my face! Freeeeshhh!!! It may cost more in the long term, but at least i won't be sharing the experience with hundreds of thousands of entitled tit-nibblers sucking at the buttons for psychological sustenance as their mum's too busy hittin the gin. Oopsi, went off track a bit. Was there a track? Where am i again?

Sep 24, 2008
I've never had a problem with DLC as long as a.) it was something started after the original release and b.) It was not 20 dollars for two hours of additional content.

If I like an experience, there's a chance I'd like to continue that experience. I have no problem for companies getting paid for doing extra work.

The problem with DLCs is that the idea is marred by horrible practices that designers have done. On Disc DLC and the like. Incidents like These Games [http://disclockedcontent.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_games_with_on-disc_DLC] need to go die in a fire.

But if you got the band back together to create something new a six months after the fact? We got ourselves a deal.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
There is a cap on how much worthwhile DLC a company can release. There isn't anything even remotely like that for Microtransactions. In my opinion good DLC encourages better games like the expansion packs that Bethesda puts out, bad dlc encourages lazyness(re-releasing the same maps for every single new COD game over and over forever). BUT Microtransactions encourage worse games with things locked off from the player from the start, I also think that it encourages bad things like lazy terrible skins(see every microtransaction in CS:GO for example).

In a DLC dominated environment you're going to see more content because that's what people will pay upfront for, in microtransactions you're going to see endless gambling, timers and grinding shuffling along in a trench-coat trying to disguise themselves as "gameplay"(see pretty much every f2p mobile game ever made).

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
It's kind of hard to answer because the actual definition of microtransaction has become rather vague at the moment and expanded to include paid cosmetic items, something that used to be called DLC. I'm honestly not too bothered by cosmetic items in most cases, since I don't really play a lot of multiplayer games and don't really care about cosmetic items in single player games. Perhaps if it were an RPG, or a game like Terraria/Starbound where you would expect it to come with the game, then I might get a bit annoyed, but otherwise, it's more on the minor side of cynical business.

However, if the microtransactions have any form of gameplay utility, especially if it's actual currency, then whoever is responsible for it can go fuck themselves with a handful of broken glass.

I'm also not too fond of the luck based purchases either. It just feels way to slimy to make people blatantly gamble for their meaningless cosmetics. However, I'm less outraged by such things, since it doesn't really effect me. I don't buy cosmetic items, nor will I ever gamble real money for virtual tat. I look at it the same way I look at psychics, or people who commit religious scams. Sure, the people doing it are assholes, but the victims are utter cretins, so I can't muster much outrage.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Saelune said:
Hate microtransactions. Never seen it used well, not once.

I liked the old way of expansions. I find it funny that Bethesda, who was one of the first to do microtransactions, who got super criticized for it and actually stopped, is one of the few doing big meaty DLC expansions.
I'm not surprised. Bethesda tried than in an era where DLC was new and not well received in most cases. They also tried it with stuff that should have been in the game functionally. Horse armor? Come on.