Poll: Military Jargon in Games

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Honestly, my favorite use of it has to be in Gears of War. I love how they refer to the Locust as "Grubs", rather than Tango or Bogey. It's short, succinct, and conveys the exact same message as the latter while managing to be insulting to the enemy and fitting the setting. Pretty creative, IMO. Also, the Locust "language", which consists of a lot of screams and growls mixed in with some broken English works well too. Gotta love the *point* "graaaargh HOMOSAPIENS!!"

As for the more realistic uses, I actually really like it. Adds to the immersion, even when they don't always get it right its kind of cool to know that they are at least trying. I always think its a strange complaint when people say war games "use it to much". I mean, what else would they say? Its language created for the express purpose of combat, which is what you are usually doing. Do you think they'd just start speaking plain English because they got bored of it or something?

Also, props to the Combine Overwatch and MP jargon. You can barely understand a word of it thanks to the heavy synthesizing, but it always sounds menacing. Has that Stormtrooper vibe. It'd be great if a Combine sees D0G in the next game, points, and says "Look sir, Droids!" before getting smashed.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Quick question - what does it mean in military jargon when someone uses the word "actual"?
I hear it in a bunch of military games.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I find it somewhere between stupid and intertaining.

I think the whatever-fenetic alphabet is over used in games, and often miss used.

Here's a flash back:
Halo 1, Truth and Reconsiliation-
Johnson: "The ship is just 3 clicks north, chief."
Me: "Clicks? What is this, Vietnam?"

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I really like it. It makes it a whole lot more immersive. What would you rather listen to:
"I can see four enemies looking right at you, dude... you might wanna kill 'em before they make you 50% metal. Bye, Ryan!"
"Alright, will do."

Or,

"I have eyes on four hostiles north of you. Recommend you eliminate, over. Oxide-Nine out."

I leave it up yo you.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
It's useful to have some objective terms - especially for briefings - but alot of the time military jargon is deployed pointlessly, and irritates the Hell out of me. Appropriate for military shooters perhaps, but this annoyingly formulaic crap has driven me far away from anything which claims to be a "realistic" military FPS.

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
Im not really too fussed, if it's ratel it's all well and good, but I get a bit shitty when soldiers talk like that to each other, or when they say gay shit like repeat. If they do it right I don't mind it, but if they do it wrong it's a constant source of irritation for me.

nick_knack said:
thepopeofatheism said:
"Over and out" always bugs me. You can't be both over and out.
FUCKING YES!

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO KNOWS THAT!

I like the jargon when its used properly. Unfortunately, having been in cadets, I find myself slightly bothered every time it isn't.
Also, lol, cadets...

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
How many times has this thread been necro'd, again? It's been on these forums for longer than I've had an account, and I actually remember reading it while doing my initial lurking. Weird.a