Poll: Military Jargon in Games

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I helps with the immersion, and its cool, so long as its done properly. Meaning not like this:

"Romeo, Bravo Mike Alpha Charlie!"

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
doctorwhofan said:
I like it, I understand it, and actually I live it. Well, Naval equivilant. It gives games a feel of authenticity, especially if they get it right.

Still trying to figure out why a Masterchief seemingly outranks all the officers due to his uberness though. :p
I dont think he out ranks them as much as he asks to do something and they dont say no, and is navy jargen alot diffrent from army?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
doctorwhofan said:
Slycne said:
doctorwhofan said:
Still trying to figure out why a Masterchief seemingly outranks all the officers due to his uberness though. :p
That's actually not as crazy as it sounds. It's not uncommon for a less experienced officer to look towards experienced senior ranked NCOs for advice even if the decision ultimately is theirs.
I know, ex-NAvy here. I KNOW Masterchiefs. Let's say, drinking roadkill coffee and able to stand on a ship and drinking it during rough seas does not constitute uberness. I Know mastersargents, they are almost the same. A Master Chief in with Marines? Very common. I thought he should be an officer, but Lieutenant doesn't roll off the tongues as well, and the fact he could be promoted makes it hard to call a character only known for his rank for 3 games.

There are only 3 confirmed SPARTAN Officers in Halo canon. Kurt (promoted to be in charge of the SPARTAN-III Program), Kat (the woman from Halo: Reach) and your commander in Halo: Reach.

SPARTANs were technically never supposed to be promoted to officers. I forget exactly why, but it had something to do with giving SPARTANs too much authority while freeing them from the responsibilities of officers, and something about ONI Protocols giving most SPARTANs the ability to ignore anyone who basically wasn't an Admiral or from ONI if they considered their mission more important.

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
Cody211282 said:
doctorwhofan said:
I like it, I understand it, and actually I live it. Well, Naval equivilant. It gives games a feel of authenticity, especially if they get it right.

I dont think he out ranks them as much as he asks to do something and they dont say no, and is navy jargen alot diffrent from army?
SOmewhat. head for latrine, helos instead of choppers, Admiral instead of General. Alot of the forms are the same, and the genral lingo (Bravo Zulu, etc.) Remember-lots of tradional British naval lingo survives in the Navy. I was Avaiation Navy, so my lingo was different than Normal Navy Ones. But a DEck is deck, a ladderwell is a ladderwell, no matter if you are on land or sea.

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
doctorwhofan said:
Slycne said:
doctorwhofan said:
That's actually not as crazy as it sounds. It's not uncommon for a less experienced officer to look towards experienced senior ranked NCOs for advice even if the decision ultimately is theirs.
I know, ex-NAvy here. I KNOW Masterchiefs. Let's say, drinking roadkill coffee and able to stand on a ship and drinking it during rough seas does not constitute uberness. I Know mastersargents, they are almost the same. A Master Chief in with Marines? Very common. I thought he should be an officer, but Lieutenant doesn't roll off the tongues as well, and the fact he could be promoted makes it hard to call a character only known for his rank for 3 games.

There are only 3 confirmed SPARTAN Officers in Halo canon. Kurt (promoted to be in charge of the SPARTAN-III Program), Kat (the woman from Halo: Reach) and your commander in Halo: Reach.

SPARTANs were technically never supposed to be promoted to officers. I forget exactly why, but it had something to do with giving SPARTANs too much authority while freeing them from the responsibilities of officers, and something about ONI Protocols giving most SPARTANs the ability to ignore anyone who basically wasn't an Admiral or from ONI if they considered their mission more important.
I will bow to your Halo knowledge. Though, it's kinda cool to see a Naval enlisted rank large and in charge (sorta) of a video game. A popular video game. NOT in charge of a jet or a boat. But it is funny hearing my hubby (who is still in the Navy) coming home from work and putting on a Halo game, only to chuckle "Chief (insert arse-of-the-week here) was in Halo, he certainlly make a funny, but short lived, Spartan."

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I fucking love it.

It adds an air of authenticity to a game, and helps make it a more indepth experience if everyone is talking soldier speak around you. As long as you can understand it that is :p

I just like the way it sounds, it's a more efficient way of communicating. And it can be pretty funny, especially in Generation Kill :D

asgardmothership

Jan 17, 2010
We're Oscar Mike! My goodness that was said alot in MW2, and this thread, it was cool the first time then it just got up your nose. Never used once in the first game, someone came across it on wikipidia or something and decided it was the best idea since beans on toast.

Though, I always did get a buzz when "Hunter 2-1, this is Overlord, advise switching to thermal optics over." I do believe the voice actor is the same guy who plays Aaron Pierce in 24, he has exactly the right voice for that job.

Also: Ace Combat fighter jargon,

"Tango on your 6" - You have a beverage on your sixaxis controller.
"Fox 1 Fox 1" - I count 1 fox, and then the same fox again.

Bayonetta Jargon:

"I've got a fever, and the cure is more dead angels" - Lets kill some angels.
"You want to touch me?" - Lets kill some angels
"I've had enough" - Lets kill some angels
...... You get the idea.

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
It depends on how it's used.

If jargon is used in context and actually has some useful meaning, I'm all for it. Terms such as "bounding", "stack up on this door", "take point" and such all convey intent and communicate information succinctly. I don't think it's pretentious at all to use such terms if they're a useful and quick way of getting the message across.

On the other hand, if jargon is used in an attempt to "sound cool" and for no other reason, then I usually find it to be lame. Likewise if the jargon in question is just a pointless alternate way of describing something. "Oscar Mike" for instance seems stupid and superfluous to me. Why not just say "We're moving out", or "Let's go"? I guess unnecessarily replacing normal phrases with phonetics in that way (like "White trash" = Whiskey tango[footnote]see the miniseries "Generation Kill"[/footnote]) was an in-joke of sorts that's spread far beyond the military because of popular culture.

dWintermut3

Jan 14, 2010
I find that it adds an enjoyable level of realism when they use military jargon.

"Opforce 12 klicks south of point bravo, requesting fire support" sounds a lot more realistic and cool than "uh there's some enemies about 5 miles south of the old factory, it'd be cool if you could shoot some rockets at them."