Poll: Milk: Bag or Jug?

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
You can buy milk in bags in Waitrose, and they are pretty safe.
You have to be chucking them about or squishing them really hard to pop them

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I get them in plastic bottles, we used to get them in glass bottles but it's chapear this way since we drink a lot of milk.

You seem to have missed bottles and cartons off your poll options.
UnableToThinkOfName said:
Sorry, weird images. Milk bought in plastic bags...I'm guessing that's not really how it works.

Something's wrong somewhere...
But see, they also sell jugs that the bags fit into. And with buying it in bags, you get more, generally about a litre/a litre and a half more, and it works out to be cheaper perlitre, I think. I cannot remember. All I know it, when I lived in Ontario, it was much more common to get milk in bags than in cartons, or jugs.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
My family uses Jugs mostly. They don't sell jugs at Grocery Markets so we buy them at convenience stores. When someone is too lazy to pick up jugs we use Bags. For those wondering it has one large bag that holds three individual bags completely sealed.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
wildpeaks said:
Is that milk powder (you know, the type you need to pour water into) ? Omh my, I haven't been drinking that since I'm three years old or something (except in instant coffee cups in which you just need to pour hot water).
No, it's one large bag holding three individual completely sealed bags of fresh liquid milk. You place them in a pitcher that holds the bag upright and snip off one of the corners.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~husky66/Milk/steps/milk6.jpg

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
I'm also Canadian and I have to admit for a country that's been stereotyped as being nothing unique, it's fun to see so many people WTF-ing over the fact milk comes in bags.

I believe the reason bags are being used is because it's cheaper for packaging, uses less material, and is easier to dispose of.

But really, I was grinning the entire time I read this thread. It's funny to see the bewilderment. I say there should be more strange things about Canada! Fellow Canadians, we must spread ludicrous rumours about our country.

Although, I have met people who honestly thought we Canadians lived in igloos, but to be fair, these people lived in India their whole lives so I guess it's not too strange. I slightly regret correcting them now.

EDIT: Oh, I also missed the most obvious point: It's way easier to store bags than jugs. This might not be a prominent point for most people, but my house finishes milk faster than water. We usually have 4 4-litre bags (within each is 3 1.33 litre bags) in the fridge which get consumed in anywhere from a week to two weeks.

michiroo

Feb 1, 2010
Seriously you guys, not that hard.

Instructional video on bagged milk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QST68TjdmuI

I never thought of it to be weird because I grew up with it. Seeing people freak out is making me realize that maybe it is a strange concept..

snow

Jan 14, 2010
shewolf51 said:
Rawker said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I get them in plastic bottles, we used to get them in glass bottles but it's chapear this way since we drink a lot of milk.

You seem to have missed bottles and cartons off your poll options.
Sorry, weird images. Milk bought in plastic bags...I'm guessing that's not really how it works.

Something's wrong somewhere...

that's the silliest concept since the metric system!

Is it freeze dryed or liquid?
It's liquid.
Man some young kid with a pin needle could have a field day if he wanted to stir up some trouble.

I have never heard of milk bags (lol) either. Such a strange concept.