Poll: Mists of Pandaria - Why all the hate?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I remember when Warcraft was humans and orcs, with the occasional ogre or dwarf thrown in.

I stopped at 3 (which I didn't finish because it became too Hero-centric). Never played WoW, and am now glad I didn't.

The first time I ran into a panda monk named Jack Black, I'd probably put my fist through my monitor.

Tyrannical

Oct 29, 2011
gideonkain said:
Evil Top Hat said:
They are so desperate that they have totally abandoned any trace of seriousness and credibility that WoW's lore had. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas, just adding new classes, races and other cheap additions (that will all totally screw up game balance, as the addition of DKs did in Lich King) and have offered nothing with any kind of original idea. It's an obviously desperate attempt to win back some of the quickly disappearing subscribers with a tacky joke race and not much else.

The whole thing is a total farce.
This.

WoW is being redesigned each iteration to only appeal to younger and younger players.

It started all Tolkenesque, now were at Kung Fu Panda and Pokemon? Really?
'

Pandaren are a part of Warcraft lore. Go play the Warcraft games, then come and complain about Lore. And while you're at it, WoWhead, WoWiki, short stories, etc. Whatever you can think of.

As for Pokemon, yeah, that's kind of annoying.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Tyrannical said:
gideonkain said:
Evil Top Hat said:
They are so desperate that they have totally abandoned any trace of seriousness and credibility that WoW's lore had. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas, just adding new classes, races and other cheap additions (that will all totally screw up game balance, as the addition of DKs did in Lich King) and have offered nothing with any kind of original idea. It's an obviously desperate attempt to win back some of the quickly disappearing subscribers with a tacky joke race and not much else.

The whole thing is a total farce.
This.

WoW is being redesigned each iteration to only appeal to younger and younger players.

It started all Tolkenesque, now were at Kung Fu Panda and Pokemon? Really?
'

Pandaren are a part of Warcraft lore. Go play the Warcraft games, then come and complain about Lore. And while you're at it, WoWhead, WoWiki, short stories, etc. Whatever you can think of.

As for Pokemon, yeah, that's kind of annoying.
Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, they weren't in 1 or 2. They were added in for Warcraft 3, which is what I consider to be the beginning of the end of one of my favorite computer games ever.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Spectre4802 said:
MEGA SNIP
being a avid WoW player [Horde FTW] and this video reminded me of your rant there

i really don't have a single problem with Pandaria i actually look forward to naming my Panda 'JackFuBlack'

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I think the amount of bile and nerdrage that build up over the years got ignited by its announcement.

the players who started out at WoW don't know who these pandas are, and the earlier warcraft players think of it as a "joke-race".

of course, the latter were already on the fence about throwing Illidan and Arthas to the wolves, so adding pandas only alienates them further from the lore they knew.

VladThor

Nov 21, 2011
I'm a giant nerd and registered just to post this:

It's not the Emerald Dream.

I know they have other lore threads to tie down, but really now. I was expecting an expansion centered around a significant portion of the story that's already been hinted at/mysteriously discussed for quite a while. Instead, I get an expansion that's going to be made almost entirely of fresh lore. While this probably won't be as big of a problem as I feel it is right now - mostly because the whole damn game started out that way - I was really looking forward to the big awesome Emerald Dream stuff.

That and because they didn't do Emerald Dream, the whole thing reeks of trying to make WoW last longer. I'd be happy with the Emerald Dream and then maybe 1-2 more expansions (depending on whether or not they dealt with the remaining old gods and Queen Azshara in the Emerald Dream xpack). As it stands, there are now likely to be three more expansions, and WoW honestly doesn't have three xpacks left in it. 2 maybe. But I'm a HUGE nerd, have followed the Warcraft storylines since I was a little kid playing War1/War2, and have played WoW almost nonstop since 2007. Even I won't last 2 more expansions - the game is becoming tedious and of course will never be what it once was (partly because it won't be "new" anymore for any current players). I play some for the story, some for the people, and some for the gameplay. The first two are the major reasons I'm sticking around, and MoP doesn't provide as much enticement on #1 (the story) as an Emerald Dream xpack could. It will still interest me for new gameplay and all, and it will probably improve, but the story just does not seem engaging for me in MoP.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
WoW is no longer fun to me which is why I cancelled my sub, and the announcements for MoP did not convince me, so I won't be renewing it. For me, the game has run its course and I made the right call to have left when I'd still have fond memories of it as opposed to complete and utter rage burnout I was racing to.

They will learn. No MMO rules forever.

Casper Andersen

Jun 21, 2010
I am just not into WoW anymore, Blizz may release new content but the core experience of actually playing WoW, has not changed since release. And after playing on and off since release, I just dont find it that fun anymore.
The expansions are able to hold my attention for about a month, but when I have reached the new level cap and seen the dungeons, there is just not anything that holds my interest.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
gideonkain said:
It started all Tolkenesque
You're either trolling, or ignorant of what Tolkienesque means.

When you have a unit called the Meat Wagon [http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/meatwagon.shtml], that, and this is a direct quote:

"Meat Wagons use a Meat-A-Pult? to fling Corpses at the enemy."

Tell me where THAT fits in Tolkeinesque fiction!

Is it right beside the sorceresses with sultry voices that croon sexily when you click on them repeatedly after turning the enemy Troll Witch Doctor into a sheep? That's okay, that witch doctor was too busy telling you, in his carribean accent, to 'Say hallo to is little fren'

Warcraft has always been cartoony. Always. The art is celshaded and stylised like that for a reason; it's rediculous, and always has been.

You just haven't been paying close attention to the goblin sappers have you?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Spectre4802 said:
PANDAS? Are you serious? This will ruin WoW.
+ I think Blizzard messed up when they announced (did they? I'm not a 100% sure) Pandaren as a joke race in the new expansion. That was a bad move, especially if they were planning on releasing it at a later stage. But as for the concept of anthropomorphic pandas, is that were we draw the line? Tauren and Worgen didn't seem to get much hate (as far as I'm aware, Tauren don't get any hate at all), so what's the problem with Pandaren?
I think the difference lies in a couple of things. First off, Taurens may look like cows/bulls but they're not called "Cowians". With the Pandarans the animal is right there in the name, so there's absolutely no way to disassociate the race from the animal. Secondly, Taurens look (a bit) like Minotaurs, a classic piece of mythical/fantasy imagery. Pandarans look like the lead in Kung Fu Panda. Exactly like the lead in Kung Fu Panda. Thirdly, Pandas who do martial arts and live in a place that looks a lot like China. How... original. It's a lazy, unimaginative straight lift from the real world, only with talking, stereotyped animals.

WoW has always had cartoony graphics, but when I watched the MoP trailer that was the first time in my eyes it actually looked like a cartoon.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Mourning_Star said:
The talent system would be so awesome, if it wasn't so fucking boring. One talent every FIFTEEN levels? You can't be "your own damn Warrior" if all you have is a total of six talents each from a group of three.
Plus, you also still would be an Arms/Protection/Fury Warrior, you just would get those six talents to choose from.
Blizzard has been continually making WoW more and more boring, getting rid of hybrid classes was a terrible move, and so will this new talent system.
In any sort of grouping content, there were two kinds of hybrids;

OP hybrids that were doing it to get a huge advantage...

...and people you want to votekick from your group for not holding up the job they signed up for.

The first tended to be what you'd find in PvP groups, and the latter is what you'd find in PvE groups.

Now I won't speak for the PvP side of things, but in PvE, that dps revenge warrior build? Useless. Absolutely useless. Revenge means taking hits... which means you're either a tank and doing your job or dps and failing to do your job. DPS don't use revenge because DPS are trying NOT to take damage.

But if you're tanking, and you're 'hybriding' you're giving up a lot of defensive might for a negligible offensive punch... which means that your job of making healing more efficient by reducing damage, is not being done properly. You're not being a good tank by hybridizing.

I've healed for tanks like that... they'll brag about 'doing great damage' but they're actually making things slower because of all my mana they're pissing down the toilet just so they can be 'unique.'

The classes are designed to play in team environments, and hybridizing happens to not play well when you're needed to fulfill a certain role.

denseWorm said:
EDIT: I made my own pally in vanilla.

I was ret, but i topped raid healing charts. I also lead those raids.
Gratz, you were good at healing with a class during the time of the game where the only thing they could do well was heal. Every paladin in raids were either offhealing or benched during that time. It's hardly an accomplishment to say 'Yeah, I healed with a healing spec' when ret WAS a healing spec.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
DracoSuave said:
Mourning_Star said:
The talent system would be so awesome, if it wasn't so fucking boring. One talent every FIFTEEN levels? You can't be "your own damn Warrior" if all you have is a total of six talents each from a group of three.
Plus, you also still would be an Arms/Protection/Fury Warrior, you just would get those six talents to choose from.
Blizzard has been continually making WoW more and more boring, getting rid of hybrid classes was a terrible move, and so will this new talent system.
In any sort of grouping content, there were two kinds of hybrids;

OP hybrids that were doing it to get a huge advantage...

...and people you want to votekick from your group for not holding up the job they signed up for.

The first tended to be what you'd find in PvP groups, and the latter is what you'd find in PvE groups.

Now I won't speak for the PvP side of things, but in PvE, that dps revenge warrior build? Useless. Absolutely useless. Revenge means taking hits... which means you're either a tank and doing your job or dps and failing to do your job. DPS don't use revenge because DPS are trying NOT to take damage.

But if you're tanking, and you're 'hybriding' you're giving up a lot of defensive might for a negligible offensive punch... which means that your job of making healing more efficient by reducing damage, is not being done properly. You're not being a good tank by hybridizing.

I've healed for tanks like that... they'll brag about 'doing great damage' but they're actually making things slower because of all my mana they're pissing down the toilet just so they can be 'unique.'

The classes are designed to play in team environments, and hybridizing happens to not play well when you're needed to fulfill a certain role.
Not even mad (don't play Wow), but maybe that's why they call it an MMO mostly now, and leave off the RPG part. "Stop enjoying yourself and become another cog in our repeat-o wheel."

/shrugs

al4674

May 27, 2011
Oh please. The pandaren race was always a joke in Warcraft lore and obviously most of you can't see the problem of them being a full scale race in the lore.

I mean seriously, what's next? A mystical race of swan people who talk like Mr Scrooge and Donald Duck? Come on, people!

Out of all the other races they could have used i.e the lost ones, nerubians, tuskarr, vrykul, black iron dwarves etc etc, they take the race that looks like the direct decendands of Po the Kung Fu panda.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I just find the Pandaren very silly, to the point of it being hard to take them seriously. I'm not sure quite what it is that makes them different from Worgen or Tauren... I think its that those two still seem to have roots in something serious, even if they're cartoony. The pandas, meanwhile, just seem like big fluffy jovial bears with kung-fu and a minimal basis in the existing story. The new continent itself, the pet battling, the new talents and so on all look pretty good, and I'll probably resub for a month or two to see the new stuff. But really, I think I'm just swerving towards lower, more realistic fantasy out of personal taste. But more than that, it's just the tone of the new expansion I don't like. I'd prefer one closer to that of wotlk than that of cataclysm or mists.

weker

May 27, 2009
al4674 said:
Oh please. The pandaren race was always a joke in Warcraft lore and obviously most of you can't see the problem of them being a full scale race in the lore.

I mean seriously, what's next? A mystical race of swan people who talk like Mr Scrooge and Donald Duck? Come on, people!

Out of all the other races they could have used i.e the lost ones, nerubians, tuskarr, vrykul, black iron dwarves etc etc, they take the race that looks like the direct decendands of Po the Kung Fu panda.
can't tell if serious or not...
OT: I not that keen purely because it makes wow look like generic mmojrpg number 271

another thing, I really feel they shouldn't be part of the horde, they really just fit in.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
My problem is that there is now no major conflict or villain. Almost all of WC's interesting lore and conflict is done. Now Catalysm's finished I feel like the story I wanted to play through has been finished - I've wrapped up the loose ends that I saw the beginning of in WC3, and I don't care for any contrived, shoe-horned bosses they've just made up for the new expansion.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
They're adding some cool features to the game but im not going to be getting it because Warcraft bores me too much and it'd end up being a waste of money.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
Don't really care about Wow, but the reason theirs so much hate? Because battle.net is a hole. I tried to get into those forums back when starcraft 2 was on the horizon. After lurking for a few weeks I just left.

Also, I'd totally dig pandaren as a real race. Panda's are rad, and I could make a Genma character. :D

Actually everything about MoP sounds cool.