Poll: MMOs of 2012

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
Based on what I've seen, it seems like there will be four main MMOs coming out in 2012:
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Guild Wars 2
The Secret World
TERA Online (also known as The Exiled Realm of Arborea)

Some people may believe that the first two are the main competitors for next year, however I hope that anyone who hasn't heard of either TSW or TERA should read up on them. Here is a video for Tera online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk92L4kSqdk&list=FLMeJ9LFV09JZicsOciP4ROQ&index=14&feature=plpp_video
(If you just want info about the comment, I recommend you skip forward about 5 minutes)

as well as a link to the official website for it:
http://www.tera-online.com/

There are several articles on The Escapist on TSW, but here is another website which I find helpful for MMO info.: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/The-Secret-World.html

Anyway, I'm curious on people's thoughts on the MMOs coming out next year and I have heard very little about people's opinions on Tera and TSW as far as how they will compete with the soon-to-be giants, GW2 and SW:TOR. I have already seen a lot about the first two, so I would like this thread to be primarily about the underdogs and why people should be interested in them.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Of them all the only one I'm possibly interested in is The Secret World. I say possibly because I just can't get a feel for how it's going to work, and I'm a little concerned that the world will feel small and instanced, primarily because it's set in the 'real' world, so we have an immediate basis for size comparison. Put it a different way, unless every location is set in a mountain valley we'll be hit a lot of invisible walls.

But it's an intriguing idea, so I'll keep watching out for it.

Tera I don't see doing anything much. It's another fantasy MMO and the market is saturated with them.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I want to play GW2 really really badly.

Could care less about the slow turn based star wars MMO, or the other 2 random MMO games that will tank quickly.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
I've already signed up for the beta of The Secret World. That being said, I can't wait for Guild Wars 2 to come out.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
The only one I'm interested in is TOR, and even then, that's only because it is Star Wars, and loosely tied to KotOR.

I still wished they would've just made a KotOR 3, but I'll play this most likely.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Am I correct in thinking that GW2 is the only one of those without a subscription fee?

My gaming habits just aren't predictable enough for me to pay monthly subscription fees for a game, so I'd only look at those without it.

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
They finally released the 8th profession for Guild Wars 2, and have started closed Beta. I'm quite excited with the whole thing. I enjoyed the previous title and I can't wait for this one. For Tyria, for the Blood Legion.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Guild Wars 2, the pvp looks so insanely fun and the classes look amazing. I damn near creamed myself when I saw the videos of high end pvp during the summer.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
LookingGlass said:
Am I correct in thinking that GW2 is the only one of those without a subscription fee?

My gaming habits just aren't predictable enough for me to pay monthly subscription fees for a game, so I'd only look at those without it.
Yes of all of them GW2 is the only one without a fee, and arguably the most promising.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I've been playing TOR, uck-fing amazing. And I will continue doing so. Such a great idea to tie an actual character to your character. For someone who is traditionally a single player CRPG kind of guy, it's like crack. Now if only I didn't get kicked and then forced to que so often. -_-

Still, when it's working like it should it's something to behold.

Also I get the feeling I should be interested in Guild Wars 2.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
I'm looking forward to FireFall. (whenever it comes out for me) That's about it.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Teleporting invisible mindblowers, magic underwater nets, and cooling off fire: Guild Wars 2, HELL YEAH.

WinkyTheGreat

Sep 6, 2008
I've been waiting for GW2 since the release of Eye of the North and the hints that it would be out soon. So I'm going to have to go with that (bonus points for it since it doesn't have a subscription fee)

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
WinkyTheGreat said:
I've been waiting for GW2 since the release of Eye of the North and the hints that it would be out soon. So I'm going to have to go with that (bonus points for it since it doesn't have a subscription fee)
I'll never forget finding that giant creature in the ice, only to be told that would be one of the Elder Dragons during Gw2. Which, to much excitement, was cleared up to be a champion of an Elder Dragon.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Gustof26 said:
WinkyTheGreat said:
I'll never forget finding that giant creature in the ice, only to be told that would be one of the Elder Dragons during Gw2. Which, to much excitement, was cleared up to be a champion of an Elder Dragon.
I love the fact that you can find various dragons/champions in GW1 in slumber.

Also if you read the books, you can go to various locations from the books and meet characters from them.