Poll: Modern Warfare 2 ending and Modern Warfare 3 discussion (SPOILERS)

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
The Gentleman said:
luckshot said:
my main problem is with the dead cia operative.
luckshot said:
1. he is a field officer with a high risk case, yet is easily identifiable as a cia operative. While i can't with all certainty say the cia would never require an operative to participate in an airport slaughter, i have my doubts.
The default response to this would be a matter of priorities. Keep your cover at all costs or what happened at the end of the airport scene might happen. More likely then not, General Shepard found a way to leak your idenity in a roundabout way.
luckshot said:
2. since when is a dead cia operative proof that they are responsible for the attack, seems more like a failed attempt to stop the attack. it is a mighty big jump for the fsb to make.
1) Security cameras throughout the airport would have caught you with Makarov and his group as they were walking through the airport with you, at the very least, not stopping them from racking up the civilian death toll. If you were me, you were a little more proactive in this scene.

2) In order to survive the sequence, you had to fire on the Moscow tactical teams, otherwise they would just kill you. Firing on police is generally taken much more seriously then firing on unarmed civilians.
luckshot said:
3. despite american and russian differences and difficulties i find it hard to believe that the russians would jump straight to invasion
I would like to remind you that the US invaded a country that had nothing to do with an earlier attack that was used as a justification for said invasion. Russia gets a direct link between the US intellegence agencies and a mercenary terrorist event. How do you think the newly ultra-nationalist government is going to react?
luckshot said:
4. how were the russians able to invade on the east coast? That has to be one of our most protected areas, especially when its as far as it can get from russia. not to mention the american military, while being stretched thin would probably pick up on fleets of troop ships and aircraft mounting for an attack
In the first mission with Soap, you're tasked with recovering a piece of a US defense satilite that holds access codes to the main defensive network and is able to essentially black it out. Unfortunately (and unknown to you at the time) the Russians had already downloaded the codes by the time you recovered it.

More likely, the invasion force was loaded onto the standard transport ships and carrier-based airstrikes softened the US thanks in part to the lack of the radar and coordinated support, as well as the standard confusion that occurs in a surprise attack. The president and major leaders were likely moved the moment that someone noticed an actual problem with the longrange detection system. And the full invasion and attack took quite a few days, so they had plenty of time to bring in more troops and armor.
ahh makes some sense now

Jenkins

Dec 4, 2007
To answer peoples questions with the shock wave, they had something on the History channel about Space battles, one of the questions being Nukes in space. what happens is that because there is NO atmosphere when the nuke goes off, besides radiation its a mass of Energy being expelled in all directions with no slow down(Newtons law)

Hatiko

Nov 24, 2009
dbrose said:
GuerrillaClock said:
dbrose said:
GuerrillaClock said:
Shepherd will be back with an eye patch, and the transition to Michael Bay film will be complete.
Please GOD no . . .
You say that, but deep down you know it's going to happen.
Sadly I have to agree. Still, I remain hopeful that someone will beat some sense into Activision before they ruin the series.
Ha, ha. I was thinking the same thing about the eyepatch.

With people saying that Sheperd wanted to instigate a war with Russia, there was more than that. When America was attacked he was already the genreal so he was given control of all U.S, forces around the world. And if the U.S. became the superpower it would be good for the U.S. and the 30,000 men that dies in MW1 would not have died in vain, hence why he says something along the lines of "5 years ago I lost 30,000 men in the blink of an eye, and the world just fuckin' watched." He wanted to make the U.S. the superpower and HE wanted to be the person to do that and be a hero. The attack on the U.S. was stopped (at least the main one in D.C. was stopped, hence why Operation Hammerdown was stopped). That is why in the last level Price contacts Makarov and tells him that Sheperd is a hero.
The U.S. got attacked because the Russians got U.S. codes or something like that, it was a part of onr of the earlier levels.
I also agree with it seeming like an action movie, especially at the end. Seriously, Price took down the helicopter with one shot? Soap threw the knife directly in Sheperd's left eye? And then after the helicopter went down Price was yelling at Soap to go backwards I started mashing at the buttons because I didn't know how... lol.

One question. How come after the waterfall crash you wake up on land, nowhere near price or a boat and the place looks like a nuclear bomb just went off? And how did Nikolia know to come get you guys. It made no sense at the end when Price said "I thought I told you this was a one way trip" and the Nikolai said "it still is"? That made no sense to me.

XploreInsanity

Jul 20, 2009
Hatiko said:
dbrose said:
GuerrillaClock said:
dbrose said:
GuerrillaClock said:
Shepherd will be back with an eye patch, and the transition to Michael Bay film will be complete.
Please GOD no . . .
You say that, but deep down you know it's going to happen.
Sadly I have to agree. Still, I remain hopeful that someone will beat some sense into Activision before they ruin the series.
Ha, ha. I was thinking the same thing about the eyepatch.

With people saying that Sheperd wanted to instigate a war with Russia, there was more than that. When America was attacked he was already the genreal so he was given control of all U.S, forces around the world. And if the U.S. became the superpower it would be good for the U.S. and the 30,000 men that dies in MW1 would not have died in vain, hence why he says something along the lines of "5 years ago I lost 30,000 men in the blink of an eye, and the world just fuckin' watched." He wanted to make the U.S. the superpower and HE wanted to be the person to do that and be a hero. The attack on the U.S. was stopped (at least the main one in D.C. was stopped, hence why Operation Hammerdown was stopped). That is why in the last level Price contacts Makarov and tells him that Sheperd is a hero.
The U.S. got attacked because the Russians got U.S. codes or something like that, it was a part of onr of the earlier levels.
I also agree with it seeming like an action movie, especially at the end. Seriously, Price took down the helicopter with one shot? Soap threw the knife directly in Sheperd's left eye? And then after the helicopter went down Price was yelling at Soap to go backwards I started mashing at the buttons because I didn't know how... lol.

One question. How come after the waterfall crash you wake up on land, nowhere near price or a boat and the place looks like a nuclear bomb just went off? And how did Nikolia know to come get you guys. It made no sense at the end when Price said "I thought I told you this was a one way trip" and the Nikolai said "it still is"? That made no sense to me.

Nikolai said that because it still kind of is a one way trip, they know they will probably die because they are the most wanted men by the U.S government.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
I don't care honestly. I don't play these kind of games for the story. Unless they're called Bioshock.

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
Spitfire175 said:
Price didn't die. The fact of the matter is, if he dies, Call of Duty dies.
If that were true, Call of duty should have died a fair few times by now, For example, in the first one, he gets shot while you are aboard the ship.
He also dies in the third one, though I forget where.
And he's probably died of old age after the second call of duty.

Basically Price is the immortal moustache sidekick of the series. Nomatter how many times you kill him, he comes back for more.
(I'm half expecting him to start making wise cracks about nazi's at some point)

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Metzeten said:
Spitfire175 said:
Price didn't die. The fact of the matter is, if he dies, Call of Duty dies.
If that were true, Call of duty should have died a fair few times by now, For example, in the first one, he gets shot while you are aboard the ship.
He also dies in the third one, though I forget where.
And he's probably died of old age after the second call of duty.

Basically Price is the immortal moustache sidekick of the series. Nomatter how many times you kill him, he comes back for more.
(I'm half expecting him to start making wise cracks about nazi's at some point)
What I meant to say, was that he will always make an appearance if there are Brits in the game. Without his moustache the series will be just another shooter, not call of duty.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
Shurikens and Lightning said:
Ok, so for those of you who beat the game I am a bit saddened by the ending. At the end we dont kill Makarov and Roach & Ghost are dead and D.C. is on fire. Im trying to figure out how this will work. Now that Price and Soap are most wanted criminals they will have some problems trying to kill him, its not like they can take a plane ride now since Im sure they wont be a 141 Spec op anymore.

I was also saddened how Ramirez's story just ended abruptly. I feel that the D.C. campaign could have been extended for a longer campaign.

One thing I could not understand was why didnt the spy just shoot makarov there. It seems like that would be the best solution besides IW wanting us to kill civilians. I still want to know what was in the briefcase and what was in the computer. It seems like The general wanted to create a world war just so he could become famous.

Overall I think that for a 6 hour campaign they could have had a lot more story in it.

Finally when they launched the nuke and they are screaming that the submarines doors are open, why did Price say "Good."? They left so many plotholes open it was really dissapointing. Still a great campaign though.
Price launched the nuke to help the Americans on the East Coast by setting off the EMP which stopped them from dropping anymore troops or pushing farther into America. What I did not get was who was so damn important to risk a whole squad during an invasion from a helicopter wreck in a parking lot.

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
Angus Young said:
Price launched the nuke to help the Americans on the East Coast by setting off the EMP which stopped them from dropping anymore troops or pushing farther into America. What I did not get was who was so damn important to risk a whole squad during an invasion from a helicopter wreck in a parking lot.
That guy was an HVI (high value individual), code-named Raptor, and supposedly a high-ranking government official being transported to safety during the invasion. Some speculate he was the current US president, but it's doubtful because only the Secret Service uses specific code names for Presidents; the president is usually referred to as POTUS.

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
Hatiko said:
How come after the waterfall crash you wake up on land, nowhere near price or a boat and the place looks like a nuclear bomb just went off?
They drop off a fucking waterfall. It is so hard to believe that Soap gets separated while falling? And the whether is because of a sand storm; apparently the desert gets those sort of things.

Hatiko said:
And how did Nikolia know to come get you guys. It made no sense at the end when Price said "I thought I told you this was a one way trip" and the Nikolai said "it still is"? That made no sense to me.
Supposedly, the oil refinery (basis for the map Rust) was the "exfil point" that they had arranged (its mentioned in the beginning of "Just Like Old Times"). Nicolas could have come just to see if they would actually show up.

Hatiko

Nov 24, 2009
azncutthroat said:
Hatiko said:
How come after the waterfall crash you wake up on land, nowhere near price or a boat and the place looks like a nuclear bomb just went off?
They drop off a fucking waterfall. It is so hard to believe that Soap gets separated while falling? And the whether is because of a sand storm; apparently the desert gets those sort of things.
But there was a waterfall, I thought desrts wouldn't have water. Also, why was Soap so far onto land? I didn't look around to see if there was a river behind Soap but even if there was I doubt that Soap would have woken up completely on land. Maybe being washed up though.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
open trap said:
Shurikens and Lightning said:
Ok, so for those of you who beat the game I am a bit saddened by the ending. At the end we dont kill Makarov and Roach & Ghost are dead and D.C. is on fire. Im trying to figure out how this will work. Now that Price and Soap are most wanted criminals they will have some problems trying to kill him, its not like they can take a plane ride now since Im sure they wont be a 141 Spec op anymore.

I was also saddened how Ramirez's story just ended abruptly. I feel that the D.C. campaign could have been extended for a longer campaign.

One thing I could not understand was why didnt the spy just shoot makarov there. It seems like that would be the best solution besides IW wanting us to kill civilians. I still want to know what was in the briefcase and what was in the computer. It seems like The general wanted to create a world war just so he could become famous.

Overall I think that for a 6 hour campaign they could have had a lot more story in it.

Finally when they launched the nuke and they are screaming that the submarines doors are open, why did Price say "Good."? They left so many plotholes open it was really dissapointing. Still a great campaign though.
he says good because he launched the nuke. if u didnt skip once the loading screen was done you would have known that
What acually confused me on that was he said it was a nuke, well where did it land, and America was hit with an EMP, where did that come from, and the guy in the space station, he wouldnt have been killed by that nuke, he was WAY too far away from it. Like rightafter the space station part the nuke was never mentioned again.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Hatiko said:
azncutthroat said:
Hatiko said:
But there was a waterfall, I thought desrts wouldn't have water. Also, why was Soap so far onto land? I didn't look around to see if there was a river behind Soap but even if there was I doubt that Soap would have woken up completely on land. Maybe being washed up though.
Weather this is ajooke or not, YOU DONT THINK THERES WATER IN THE DEASERT, ARE YOU RETARTED.

*cough cough*

Sorry bought the outburst, those things happen from time to time.

But seriosly, does the Nile river mean anything to you, guess how the Nile gets its water, from other rivers. Thats how all great rivers get their water, from smaller rivers.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
azncutthroat said:
Hatiko said:

Hatiko said:
And how did Nikolia know to come get you guys. It made no sense at the end when Price said "I thought I told you this was a one way trip" and the Nikolai said "it still is"? That made no sense to me.
Supposedly, the oil refinery (basis for the map Rust) was the "exfil point" that they had arranged (its mentioned in the beginning of "Just Like Old Times"). Nicolas could have come just to see if they would actually show up.
I think it said in the missino breafing somewhere, but you guys do know that Nikolia was the guy you rescued in CoD4 on like the second mission. You'd just be supprised how many people don't know that.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I was sadden to see Shepard kill Roach and Ghost

that pissed me off when I was Soap I made sure that dagger was for me,Prince,Ghost,roach,Ramirez,Foley,Gaz and Griggs and rest of the Marines like Jackson and Vazquez and SAS all who died in both games.
however i do enjoy that Roycewich ((sp?)) survived..while playing as the Ranger's..mainly on 'Exodus', you hear the Cpt. say "Roycewich, move up, clear out that house!"

which is strange that he went to Rangers, considering he was a Marine..of couse i guess he could switch over if he really wanted..tis possible, you know.

but yeah..also to the OP, just watch the parts between the levels..you'll know the plotholes that you say are there. i think they did it very well, and i found very few plotholes..and he didn't kill him then and there, because "it took too much money to put you next to him for you to fuck it up" and it was also so Makarov could send a message..that message is basically, "americans shot this airport up, we must go to war with them" and the case was pry money or documents or a bomb of some kind..something very very bad for everybody..i'm sure we'll find out..and i'm betting Soap dies..maybe even Price...who knows for sure..but they kill off everybody else around us, why not Soap...and for sure Nikolai will go down..

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Ixal said:
I really wonder what people mean when they say "intense".
I played the game and found the single player rather boring. It a normal shooter which lacks many features I am used to from other games by now. The guns are a joke as they all behave rather similar with 100% accuracy (even the dual wielded guns while running or the MP used from a snowmobile which pretty much kills anything in front of you) and the story/immersion was lame.
Since when does the Russian army use an mishmash of Russian, French and Austrian guns? Why does the Navy shell a strategically unimportant prison during a rescue mission? How does a nuke detonated over DC destroy the ISS?

The gameplay itself varies between running forward to the next checkpoint (which makes everything behind you apparantly drop dead instantly) and standing somewhere and kill baddies till a timer runs out (visible or invisible). Thats all.

Just because a game has many scripted events it isn't automatically good. Its the game that counts, not its cutscenes.
And I could care less if
someone pours gas on my character and ignites them
when the only personality this character has is running around and shooting things.
If ingame cutscenes matter not to you, what in the hell are you doing playing Call Of Duty?
Your description is magnificent, by the way. I can apply that to my other favorite game, Indigo Prophecy, and say that it's a bunch of QTE shit with unskippable cutscenes.
Games are never, never going to be art if treated like that.
Also, your questions are answeredwith a simple "gee, it's a fucking military shooter"
Your comment is a load of bull, mate.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Smack-Ferret said:
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare

There is the great Modern Warfare 3.
This video makes it easiest to defend the story of MW2. For people saying its overblown; you they have prefered it to be ultra-realistic. The over the top action is what makes it a great bit of escapism and hence a great game.
The campaign is too short, but that for me was the biggest complaint. If I want to watch an action film, I'll watch Rambo, but if I want an ultra-realistic war film I'll look elsewhere. The same goes for games - I've always enjoyed the CoD series though I've always known they aren't that realistic.
Personally I'm really looking forward to MW3...

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Hard to tell, though honestly I think the well received storyline in the first modern warfare was a total fluke and now IW is just trying way too fucking hard.

avshig

Jul 26, 2009
In MW3 Soap and Price will probably look for the russian teleporting machine. The one that helped a fully armed terrorists, suddenly appear in the middle of an international airport and later on, helped the russian airforce appear over the US.
It's technicaly impossible without a refueling planes or a carrier, that cannot be used for secret invasions like the one in the game. The logistics for that are so copmlex and big (and takes a few weeks, at least), it's impossible to do so without being noticed by satelites or other types of intelligence.
So the only solution for this major plothole is a teleporting machine.

Apart from the ridiculous plot the game was generally fun to play and geatured some nice scenes here and there.