Poll: MORAL CHOICE TIME... WOOHOO!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hot girl/guy/thing. Most likely the least useful out of everyone and besides, the Robot pretty much guarantees a safe arrival and I'd feel safer with a robot as a navigator. Unless it's HAL!

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
If the robot is a sentient being, I'd have to send out the minority, as it's the only person not bringing anything special to the field (and I'd never risk my own life).

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Trick question. If "the air will kill anyone before they can make it back to the ship," then no one's getting back with the foliage. And any foliage that needs to live in this corrosive air will probably have an adverse reaction to being placed in the pure air of our ship. Not to mention, since plant life on Earth is part of the air cycle of our planet, I'm going to assume that this plant is part of what makes the air corrosive on this distant planet. Bringing it on board our ship would mean causing all our air to gradually become unbreathable, which means we'd more than likely die and the robot would rust before the ship would get back to Earth. So I'm either going to expect us to already have the technology to retrieve this plant without deadly incident....

Or we all just drew straws and the hot chick/guy/thing lost because that's who I voted for.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm the brave, noble space marine (I'm guessing).
So I send the robot out while I cower in my chambers.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Can I send everyone out but the robot since he knows how to get me back home out for my own personal amusement? Please?

Amorphisbob

Jun 10, 2009
wouldn't the alien fit into the minority category? oh wait u meant space alien... never mind

*also i noticed the alien wasn't in the choices... Assuming we're on the alien's home planet, it's species would've most likely developed away to deal with the toxic air (by way of technology, evolution, etc)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
AnythingOutstanding said:
This was really designed to bring out the inner racist in humans.

People view robots as slaves or machines.(In fact, that is what robot means!) Not as actual beings. Kind of like how people viewed humans with black colored skin hundreds of years ago.
I call bullshit on the racist argument. A robot isn't a person. That's it. For this exercise I shall utilize the excellent Shylock monologue from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice -

"I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands,
organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same
food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases,
heal'd by the same means, warm'd and cool'd by the same winter
and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If
you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?
And if you wrong us, do we not revenge? If we are like you in the
rest, we will resemble you in that."

Now replace the word "jew" with the word "robot" and you'll see that every answer to Shylock's rhetorical questions goes from yes to no. A robot does not have eyes, hands, affections, passions, or is fed with the same food. Pretty much a no on all fronts there. Because it's a robot. A machine designed, by man, to do tasks people cannot or will not do. I find equating the racism with robo prejudice more than a little insulting. Robots aren't people. The end.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Hot girl. They're going to make themselves useful for once.
Also: the robot and I would likely be best buds by then. I'm not letting my best buddy get destroyed. Even if I could back him up.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
but if the air is that acidic then wouldn't the ship melt too? the robot wouldn't rust it would melt also I don't think that there are any acidic gases anyway so I would send the robot and then to save the robot use the mechanical arm to save it

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
If the minority/hot guy are defined by those two traits only, and have no other redeeming qualities, then I guess I'd send out whoever's less useful. If either of them have pissed me off, then I'd send them out. The scientist and the robot sound useful. And since I'm not selfless or particularly attached to anyone on this team, I'm not going to sacrifice my own life.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Cover the robot in a strong base, which will neutralize the acid's effect on his body, no matter what the robot is made of.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
I'll go out, and live forever as the savior of mankind. If I'm going to die, then I'm going to do it big.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
depends on who can run fastest, if innaplicable, then the robot, or myself, since I will likely bring no usefull skills to the team, other than expendability

Hman121

Feb 26, 2009
the robot, duh!

P.S. having minority instead of another way of describing them makes it a little racist, and I'm against that.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
Secret option E: None of the above

I am the moral authority of the universe, and each entity is a ends unto itself, not a means. Humanity will just have to die out. Good job Kant, you just doomed the human race.

And as for me, I'd go, but I've got this bad leg you see...

Gothtasical

Apr 15, 2009
Well lets see since everyone else would die before returning with the plant so either condeming 2 or more people to death or just saving the robot on a backup system and then sending it out to collect the plant. i'll go with the robot