Poll: Morally Correct?

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Morally it is wrong to kill anyone who is innocent. If we are following a more logical approach, the child would die anyway, so the death would save the rest of the group. I would not be able to do it.

wilsontheterrible

Jul 27, 2011
No. I read the context as an afterthought and the answer remains no. Any grown man that would sacrifice another for himself is worth less than shit. If I need to be killed, so be it, but I'll drown in my own blood before letting anybody so much as touch a child, especially my own.

Some may feel morality is a subjective construct, maybe they are, but mine are inflexible and not subject to compromise. I've been beaten for morals, I've been fired for them, and I've lost friends for them but I live without regret and without shame. I'll not see women or children harmed in my presence, ever.

I can respect people who violate my moral standards, they aren't me and I don't hold other people up to my standards. But if you're willing to set aside that which makes you human for something as fleeting as life you're worth less than trash.

RedxDecember

Jun 25, 2008
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
What's the problem? Use Baby as distraction and get the hell out of there. If the guards find a lone baby the probably find it cute and might even keep it, while you have a serious chance of escaping.

Wait a minute! How the hell do you know those "invaders" are going to kill you?
Well I know one reason, because you are a baby eating cannibalistic monster and most likely deserve to get shot in the first place.

Why is your country attacked anyway? What kind of president did you vote last election? Who did he p*ss off? Probably someone with bigger guns, well tough luck, you just brought that sh*t all over yourself.

Oh and lastly, in any case of such random apocalyptic happenings, if you head for the attic make sure you have some escape route in mind or maybe even have a helicopter on the roof, waiting for you. Because if your brain isn't able to process that kind of information fast enough that the attic is a dead end, according to Darwin you will probably not survive anyway...

Sorry, no offence meant but moral questions of such sort only work when take several things involving morality for granted - like having an "enemy" outside "who is going to kill you" No he is not. At least I think it is immoral to think the invaders are going to kill you.... Have you tried negotiating with him?
They don't speak your language. They are given almost a "would you kindly" order to kill anyone they find. I don't see why you have to make it trivial and attack every little bit of it, and I do take offence that you take your time to write that and not answer the damn question. Vote. Answer. Then tell me your cool story, bro.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
If you let the child live, it dies along with everyone else. If the real only option is to kill it or let them kill it, you may as well save everyone else's life.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Fagotto said:
Mr Thin said:
Obviously it depends on your definition of morality, what you consider right and wrong, etc.

Going by the modern understanding of what makes a 'decent' human being, it is unquestionably the morally correct thing to do. To suggest otherwise is to place your own emotional comfort over the well-being of other people, which is morally repugnant.
What? Pretty sure you're not really qualified to speak for all of modern society...
By suffocating the baby, you are responsible for one death.

By not suffocating the baby, you are responsible for several.

If you value human life in a moral sense, being responsible for the death of several is morally worse than being responsible for the death of one. Therefore killing the baby is the morally correct thing to do.

If you don't value life in a moral sense, then killing a baby is not, to you, a morally incorrect thing to do, nor is it correct. Morality doesn't even come into it.

So the answer to the question is either "yes" or "it makes no difference either way".

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
I voted no, though in that situation that child would likely be killed anyway. The scenario you are describing is such that morality has already been thrown out of the window. It would not be morally right to suffocate the child, but it would likely be done nonetheless.

However, I disagree with your scenario in that killing the child is the only choice (I understand your intent, though). There are always choices, but that's getting into a different topic altogether.

wilsontheterrible

Jul 27, 2011
Versuvius said:
One life to save many. Sounds good to me.
Phlakes said:
OT: Needs of the many > needs of the few. In a perfect world (well, excluding the whole invasion thing), you would be obligated to kill the baby.
Where does it end? I'd rather die knowing I did right then live wondering when it will be my turn to die for the many.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
What kind of question is that?

What's "morally" correct to do depends entirely of what set of subjective morals that the person in question abides by.

There are no objective set of morals that everyone abides by, thus it's pretty strange to ask what the "morally" correct thing to do would be when we aren't even presented with any kind of moral context to the situation.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
RedxDecember said:
[...]
They don't speak your language. They are given almost a "would you kindly" order to kill anyone they find. I don't see why you have to make it trivial and attack every little bit of it, and I do take offence that you take your time to write that and not answer the damn question. Vote. Answer. Then tell me your cool story, bro.
I'm very sorry.
I'm not trying make this trivial, I think.
But I'm not going to vote, as the problem is this:
RedxDecember said:
[...]
This is your only option.
[...]
And that's wrong. It is NOT the only option. Once you accept there is no alternative or no other way round you give up your humanity, you lose. You turn into a machine and all that moral system becomes irrelevant. I learned that along the way. In our country a couple of months ago we still had conscription and that kind of questions was asked by the military to draft you in. Well unless you didn't answer the only appropriate way in saying: There are other options.
So fight for another option or just chose the unethical path of highly immoral yes/no black/white thing if you really want to be immoral and unethical about it.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Of course it's not morally correct to suffocate a conscious baby, the most humane way would be to snap it's neck and give it a instant death.

Besides, even if killing the baby ultimately saves more lives, it doesn't alter the fact that killing a baby is wrong.

Arguably, dropping the 2 nukes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki saved more lives than an invasion of Japan, but that doesn't mean that nuking two cities and annihilating thousands of civilians was morally correct.

Bad actions can have good consequences just as good actions can have bad consequences, but no matter the outcome, it doesn't change the morality of the initial action.

Also, in this specific hypothetical situation, if you are going to suffocate a baby in order to stop it crying, you could also either only choke (or concuss) it into unconsciousness, or clamp your hand over it's mouth enough to stop it making a sound, but leave it's nose and airways unrestricted enough so as not to kill it.

Finally, if you're in a situation where even a barely conscious and subdued baby is loud enough to give away your hiding place, then you'd have to kill everyone else too in case one of them moved, breathed or farted... you'd certainly have to kill anyone who may react to your baby murdering first, as apparently even a gasp of shock or a barely contained whimper will give away your position.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
wilsontheterrible said:
No. I read the context as an afterthought and the answer remains no. Any grown man that would sacrifice another for himself is worth less than shit. If I need to be killed, so be it, but I'll drown in my own blood before letting anybody so much as touch a child, especially my own.

Some may feel morality is a subjective construct, maybe they are, but mine are inflexible and not subject to compromise. I've been beaten for morals, I've been fired for them, and I've lost friends for them but I live without regret and without shame. I'll not see women or children harmed in my presence, ever.

I can respect people who violate my moral standards, they aren't me and I don't hold other people up to my standards. But if you're willing to set aside that which makes you human for something as fleeting as life you're worth less than trash.
What about something as fleeting as several lives? It's not you or the baby, it's the baby or a whole group of people. You and the baby could die together and you'd still be saving lives. A number of other innocent, defenseless people die if the baby lives, not just you.

To the OP, I voted yes. Sacrificing one for the good of many is disturbing (simply because you could always be the one), but you've made this situation pretty clear cut and actually avoided one vs. many, since the baby dies either way. There's only one real choice. Sorry, kid.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Ethically Correct, Morally incorrect.

Edit: Wait or maybe the other way around.
It is unethical to kill a child, is this circumstance however it would not be immoral to kilm the child.

Hmm not sure.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Well, look at it this way. If I don't kill it, we both die. I kill it, there's still one left.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It's not morally or ethically correct, but it is the right thing to do in that situation. Actually doing it, on the other hand is very difficult, probably next to impossible if it's your child.
But if you don't, the baby dies regardless, along with everyone else.