Poll: Most Disappointing Game of 2011?

Dec 21, 2011
Interesting - it seems people agree that 2011 was pretty good all-in-all.

Lots of votes for Skyrim, Dragon Age 2 and Brink.

Personally, I thought Skyrim was an excellent game ruined by bugs and that a few months extra quality testing would have put a stop to that.

It then might have had no trouble being 2012's best game - leaving 2011's open to Uncharted 3, Arkham City or Portal 2 (my vote there would be for Arkham City).

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Skyward Sword. I just don't feel any motivation to finish. The combat is awkward. Fi has as much personality as a brick wall. I hate the interface (Why did they ditch assigning items to the D-pad? And why doesn't the game pause when I want to change my equipped item?) The dowsing ability is irritating. The beacons are not visible enough in the sky. It takes too long to fly around.

I went back to Twilight Princess. I just couldn't stand SS anymore.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
cognitively_deprived said:
Skyrim was a massive disappointment for me...

Ok I am definitely joking.

Batman Arkham City was a disappointment because the first game is one of my favourite ever games and this one didn't take it to another level like I thought it would. I did still like the game and love the idea of having quite a few villains all in one game rather than just facing a different one in each new game.
I agree. Asylum was great but City wasn't as fun. I don't like all the sidequests and it seemed unfocused with too many characters and things to do. If I'm given the choice of finding a critical cure for my urgent disease or spending hours searching for riddler statues and puzzles, where's the excitement gone?

And Skyrim, well I wasn't anticipating anything special but having played it on a friend's PC I have to ask what all the fuss was about. It's not even a very good RPG, fairly ugly graphics, boring combat and unvaried gameplay. There's no reason to keep playing after you've finished the main quest, which doesn't take very long at all.

OutofMind634

Apr 28, 2010
Skyward Sword: The game that made me turn on the Zelda series.

My reasons? Just watch Yahtzee's video. He completely got it right with that one.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Modern warfare 3.

its boring the story was bland, dry and did not care about none of the characters and the multiplayer was some what boring and i generally hated almost every player with a mic on my team and the other.

now if you excuse me im goona go call Team fortress 2 and see if they will take me back

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Disappointing games don't make a bad year. Those are a given.
Lack of good games make a bad year.

I'd say this year was better than 2010. Only smaller projects were interesting last year. Games like Amnesia and Racettear.
Of the high profile games of 2010, the only game with solid gameplay was SC2 and that has reused aging RTS mechanics. The other contenders were just being pretty.

This year atleast we got Batman again; not a hard game, but atleast Batman is not the unstoppable tank Ezio from AC2 is.
Retribution was also nice; a step back towards the overal superior DOW1 games.
Small studios are doing nicely, with Trine 2 being the most recent positive example.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
For me, X-Men Destiny.

Being a bit of a Superhero fan and having fond memories of X-men game, this unpolished turd was a waste of time and money.

blackhole1

Jun 7, 2010
2011 wasn't a bad year in gaming I suppose. We had many wonderful titles. That said, I do have a candidate for Most Disappointing Game of 2011: Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter. SOTS 1 was, without hyperbole, bloody awesome and, in my opinion, one of the best games of all time. When SOTS 2 was released, it was so buggy I couldn't even access the main menu, let alone actually start a game. The game was just completely unfinished: Many of the features that made the old game so good weren't there, the AI is non-existent, most of the new features that were promised weren't implemented or broken, and the game crashed all the bloody time. Rumor has it that the original was just as bad at release date and that the SOTS 2 will be awesome in about a year when they finish patching, but that doesn't make this any less of a disappointment.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Great year for gaming despite many top tier titles not living up to the hype surrounding them.

My biggest disappointment was Zelda Skyward Sword solely due to the controls hurting my experience throughout the game. Not being able to consistently slash in the manor I desire is a big drawback in a game that demands accuracy. If the controls were perfect, I'd probably consider this the 2nd best Zelda ever made after Link to the Past.

mad_mick

Jul 19, 2008
saint row the third. yes, it's funny, zany and whacked out, in a good way. BUT, a giant purple dido, the gaming community does not need any more reason for critics to try and nail us to a cross and label us as crazy lunatics juiced up the the eyeballs on red bull and violence. It just felt like it tried TOO hard, like a 12 year old girl shoving toilet paper into her bra. if you watched monty python and the holy grail 100 times in a row, you'd laugh hard the first 4 or 5 times, but after the 59th screening, you'd be gnawing your fingers off to poke out your own eyeballs!!!

mad_mick

Jul 19, 2008
saint row the third. yes, it's funny, zany and whacked out, in a good way. BUT, a giant purple dido, the gaming community does not need any more reason for critics to try and nail us to a cross and label us as crazy lunatics juiced up the the eyeballs on red bull and violence. It just felt like it tried TOO hard, like a 12 year old girl shoving toilet paper into her bra. if you watched monty python and the holy grail 100 times in a row, you'd laugh hard the first 4 or 5 times, but after the 59th screening, you'd be gnawing your fingers off to poke out your own eyeballs!!!

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Definitely Dragon Age 2, I put a lot of faith in Bioware and I've liked every single other game by then, except DA2.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Brighton_Game_Trader said:
What game did you expect to be great in 2011 but really just sucked?
RAGE. Actually it's below the Mariana Trench of dissapointments since it still doesn't work at all on my rig. :|

smokeyninjas

Apr 5, 2010
Most disappointing for me was Rage took three dam weeks before i was able to make that buggy piece of crap run on my rig only to find a lackluster shooter with a static lifeless world very meh allround definitely not worth the hassle i went though getting it to work still Skyrim alone makes 2011 a good year for games

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
Dragon Age 2. I loved the first one, but the second one felt really rushed to me. The blatant re-use of the same dungeon map, the unrealisitic spawning of entire groups of enemies, the short story and limited exploration made this game a huge disappointment for me. I also hated what they did to Anders's character. I loved him in Awakenings (a wizard-version of Alistair), but in this one he was a very annoying character. I felt no remorse when I plunged a dagger in him.

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
For the Poll: 2011 is one of, if not the worst year for gaming in history. You can't base it purely on what games came out.

- Increase in companies suing each other over stupid crap
- Increase in recycled games
- Increase in companies lashing out at customers based on ignorant assumptions over piracy (Ubisoft)
- Increase in sloppy porting
- Increase in DLC, typically overpriced and resulting in sub par quality of original game
- Drastic increase in marketing and hype building

There have definitely been some decent to great games that came in the later part of the year, but you have to look at the big picture. IMO if you do, you'll see that the future of gaming as a whole is not very promising.

For a specific game: Skyrim hands down.

Its a generic run of the mill TES game that added nothing new of value, and removed some others. Its a "good" game, but compared to the hype from both *Bethesda* and its fans, and the fact that they claimed it was their most ambitious project ever, it simply doesn't meet reasonable expectations.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Magnicon said:
Its a generic run of the mill TES game that added nothing new of value, and removed some others. Its a "good" game, but compared to the hype from both Bioware and its fans, and the fact that they claimed it was their most ambitious project ever, it simply doesn't meet reasonable expectations.
Oh dear. I don't think Bioware made Skyrim...

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I found it a pretty darn good year. Some really big worth titles [not the yearly recurring stuff] And actually sonic games that do not suck. We have a mario, a zelda. Skyrim YEAH

We're there bad games? I am sure but with so many good ones you know what they don't matter.

Now for the first question of 2012 is Final Fantasy XIII-2 worth it?