Poll: Most Hellish Dark Souls level

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I am currently replaying Dark Souls, and I forgot how much of a living Hell it could be. So, I put up what I decided where the eight most hellish levels in the game and I ask you, which one did you think was the most punishing? There was only enough room for eight so the Duke's Archives and the Crystal Caverns were sadly removed by default, as were optional areas like Ash Lake and the Painted World. Please specify those if you hated them more.

Me? Tomb of the Giants. Nothing quite like walking around in the pitch dark until you get shot with a giant arrow by an archer you can't see and plunging to your death. For the eighth time that day.

What about you?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Tomb of the Giants.

I imagine if I'd played on console and suffered the crippling FPS issues, I would have said Blight Town though.

Of course those are also two of my favorite areas in the game. Excellent atmosphere.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Tomb of the Giants, but only because the Duke's Archives weren't available. I'd just started to have fun again, and those areas popped up. A pitch-dark morass full of pits (forget the monsters, it was always the falls that killed me), and a confusing maze filled with archers with heatseeking arrows, respectively.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
I feel I should say Tomb of the Giants like everyone else here even though that particular area wasn't really as bad for me as it could have been since I didn't even dare go near the place until very, very late in the game. At which time I had some fairly decent gear and loads of light producing spells and items which dulled its difficulty somewhat.

As such the areas I personally remember being the most hellish were those whichI blundered into unexpectedly which I was woefully unprepared. 'The Depths' and 'The Great Hollow' were actually like this for me and while they're really not that difficult compared to alot of other areas in the game they're still are the places I hate visiting the mst even to this day just on account of my first experiences there...

Hmmm? Either that or it's the Basilisks... Those things literally terrify me.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I really didn't find Tomb of the Giants to be that bad, and I even found Nito to be the easiest of the four Lord Soul Bosses for me personally to defeat. What really tormented me was Blight Town, after going through that mess on one playthrough I've completely skipped it with the Master Key on every subsequent playthrough. Another area I really hated was the invisible bridges leading up to the Seath fight, I was very bad at crossing them safely.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I'd say Lost Izalith. Having to spend half an hour clearing the room of the zombie dinosaurs with the great bow was never fun. The boss battle was atrociously bad as well.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Blight Town

The entire atmosphere of that place already just makes me want to take a shower afterwards. Beyond that it's dark with a crap ton of uneven footing. Creating a lot of moments where you get stuck on the environment, because there's a 3 inch board sticking out of the ground. Usually near a ledge when you can't risk roll diving yourself loose for fear of plummeting to your death.

The enemies are unpredictably fast, and it's hard to see them coming. There's the fucking blow dart guys who, again, you can't see where they're shooting from.

Nearly everything poisons you, and backtracking after you killed the Boss is the biggest pain in the ass.

Every other level in the game had me at least somewhat intrigued to what lay further, except Blight Town. The moment I stepped a foot in there I just wanted to get the fuck out. The only reason I ever take the Master Key as a starting gift is so that I can circumvent most of that shithole.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Blight Town is the worst. The awful framerate (I'm playing on console) makes it difficult to dodge or parry properly and those damn blow gun guys who you can never see until it's too late poison the hell out of you. The entire area is just a mess and I hate it.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Anor Londo easily. That long walk.

Die
walk to the elevator
wait for the elevator
take the elevator down
go down the stairs
run across half the map
go up the other staircase

This entire process takes around 1:20 minutes. Every time you die. In Dark Souls.

It was boring, at least Sen's Fortress had traps that the player could learn from.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Personally, I don't find the game hard at all on the second playthrough. There's no level comparable to 3-2, in Demon's Souls, but there is a section of Anor Londo that I find very frustrating. That one part with the archers (I think everyone knows which part I'm talking about). Even knowing what to do and having a couple strategies for dealing with them, I still seem to die at least a couple times, every time I reach that part. It's the only part of the game that's more anxiety than fun for me. The rest of the level isn't too tough. I still find the boss hard, but I've only ever fought him one on one. I'd imagine he (or rather, they) would be easy if I ever bothered to summon someone

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
I voted Blight Town, as on my first playthrough it was probably the most awful thing I have ever experienced. It took HOURS to get through, and it wasn't until a helpful sunbro came and basically one shotted everything with well-placed back stabs/lightning'd those bloody dogs.

On my second run though, on PC mind you so no framerate issues, it was easy. So easy that I wondered why I had so much trouble with it...

However, I had totally forgotten about the abomination that was Lost Izalith. It wasn't till I read through the comments here that I actually remembered it. The bed of Chaos was the worst boss fight of all time, the shitty lava beasts can just piss off, and my god.. Those centipede demons are the most terrifying things I have ever seen

10 nopes out of 10.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I am going with the Crystal Caverns.

Fuck that place and it's invisible bridges...

Well, Shooting arrows in front of you to see if you can walk there did make it easier but still. Fuck that place.

And trying to cut Seath tail of without the help of summon.

"STAY STILL AND LET ME CUT YOUR DAMN TAIL!"

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Evilsanta said:

Well, Shooting arrows in front of you to see if you can walk there did make it easier but still. Fuck that place.
Didn't you use the ice crystals falling to see where to go?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Evilsanta said:

Didn't you use the ice crystals falling to see where to go?
Yes, I did use those little falling crystals but the bridges aren't always straight. At least the ones that lead to other places then the boss room.

Captcha: Father uncle.... Woah didn't know that Captcha had such an complicated family situation.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Blight Town! I am aware this is console-only issue, but the frame rate, gosh it was horrid.
Other than that I think most of the levels are fun to explore!

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Yes, I did use those little falling crystals but the bridges aren't always straight. At least the ones that lead to other places then the boss room.

Captcha: Father uncle.... Woah didn't know that Captcha had such an complicated family situation.
Yeah there is one of them that has a kinck in it. But I feel you, I have an extreme fear of hieghts which also rears its ugly head in computer games, that whole thing make me very uncomfortable.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Welcome to Blight Town. You'll be here for a while.

Don't forget to bring counters for toxic darts from those fucking blowgun enemies.