Poll: Mother punishes adopted child by forcing him to drink hot sauce

Huddo

May 29, 2010
Lately in the news, there's been a number of broadcasts detailing the story of a strict mother in Alaska, who, after discovering that her adopted child had lied to her about an incident about the young boy's school, forced him to hold hot sauce in his mouth for an extended period of time, then forcing him to take a cold shower afterwards, all the while yelling at him about what he had done wrong.
Here's the actual news story:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/8749128/us-mother-charged-for-hot-sauce-punishment/

The mother was a guest on the Dr Phil show, and upon seeing the footage below, audience members were appalled at the punishment, and Dr Phil's wife even spoke out:

(Edited for embed)

The mother is currently being charged for child abuse, and if found guilty, she may have to have her adopted son transferred back to his home country.

So, Escapists, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Well... considering who I am, I want to punch the woman. Such is like torture to a child.

But then again, I oppose all forms of punishment that physically harms a child so... you all may disagree.

Though, it would be nice if we knew what he did.

EDIT:
Holy Shit, I just finished watching the videos. I want to beat the shit out of that woman, put fire in her mouth and throw her into a vat of liquid nitrogen. Why the hell does she still have custody? Take him far away from her. NO child deserves that treatment. EVER. People say I'M a danger to children? LOOK AT THAT. THAT IS HORRIBLE. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT. He'd be better off in my care, damn.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Who followed around, video taping the event? I don't trust most things I see on the TV, but if a mother did that to her kid - I think it's best for the kid to get transfered someplace else.

Edit: Finished watching the video, and they said the daughter shot the tape. Still seems a bit unreasonable that the mother didn't do anything. If someone was following me with a camera I'd turn it off and take it away no matter what I was doing.

baker80

Oct 17, 2008
Doesn't this count as child abuse? I mean, legally? Torturing a child with painful chemicals and ice-cold showers doesn't strike me as something a "well-adjusted" person would do.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
You know I'd actually wondered about this before, is making a kid do a shot of tabasco better or worse than spanking them?

I really don't know what I feel on the issue, I was spanked as a kid and only when I deserved it, I turned out fine. But I know from other's experiences that it can be a very easy and terrifying thing if the line is crossed into child abuse. I've yet to be a parent so I don't really know how I'd feel until then.

Edit: Watched vid, wow...

Bradd94

Nov 16, 2009
I'm appalled, quite frankly.
I mean sure, the kid has done something to tick the mother off but thats just abuse, plain and simple.
I also want to know what the kid did :/
But definitely don't condone this kind of reaction. The mother needs help as much as the kid does.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Depends on the hot sauce, really.

Tabasco? That woman needs mental help.

Tapatio? That's not a punishment, that's reward.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
While the child probably did deserve some sort of punishment, this was stepping over the line of acceptability. I don't think he should be taken away from her though assuming she doesn't do it again, as there's still many children waiting to be adopted.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
It's a big deal sure. But there are kids being abused worse everyday and these don't make breaking headlines.

The media at the moment is really filled with stuff like this. And to be honest that's what disgusts me.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
JoJoDeathunter said:
While the child probably did deserve some sort of punishment, this was stepping over the line of acceptability. I don't think he should be taken away from her though assuming she doesn't do it again, as there's still many children waiting to be adopted.
I have to say... considering the way the woman acted in the video, I think she'll do it again. She could be given a second chance, only if the child agrees though.

Though, she pulls it again, CPS Time.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
That evil ***** shouldn't be allowed anywhere near kids. It doesn't matter what the kid had done, she's punishing him using pain which is never acceptable.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
WolfThomas said:
You know I'd actually wondered about this before, is making a kid do a shot of tabasco better or worse than spanking them?

I really don't know what I feel on the issue, I was spanked as a kid and only when I deserved it, I turned out fine. But I know from other's experiences that it can be a very easy and terrifying thing if the line is crossed into child abuse. I've yet to be a parent so I don't really know how I'd feel until then.

Edit: Watched vid, wow...
I'd take a spanking over a mouth full of tabasco sauce any day of the week.

And as a kid your digestive system is already very vulnerable to strong and spicy food - hence why kids don't like to eat certain vegatables - so for a 7-year old to hold hot sauce in his mouth must be absolutely torturous.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, if you like to get downright creative when inflicting suffering on a child, then you probably shouldn't be left with a child to get creative on.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
jackpipsam said:
it's set up, how did they get a camera in there overwise?
Daughter shot the whole thing. I am a teacher. I am a man. Few things get to me but what I just saw is probably much more terrifying/disgusting/repulsive than most horror movies I have seen in a long time.

Aug 25, 2009
I have a response not covered.

Corporal punishment, which this is, is not justified against a child. In my view anyway.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they should take him away from her, but she is not in the right in any way here.

And definitely not sure if this should go as far as child abuse procedings. I'm very torn.