Poll: My Computer is dying on me....

Jacco

May 1, 2011
So I definitely need a new laptop. I've been interested in a MacBook Pro for some time now, more as a curiosity than anything, but since the time has come to seriously start looking for a new computer, I find myself facing the question as to whether I should bite the bullet and buy a MacBook or spend the money on something like a Vaio?

Since the community here seems to be more or less technologically competent, I figure this is the best place to ask.

If you have a MacBook tell me why you bought one and what makes it worth spending the money on. Would you buy another one? How is Apple's customer service if you have a problem with it?

If you don't have one, what do you have? Why did you choose it? Was it a good choice?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
If you like Apple products and that particular interface, and don't like PC Gaming or your money, buy a Macbook Pro.

EDIT: Oooh, the shiny 999!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
You could buy a Windows laptop and build a cheap gaming rig for the same price as MacBook Pro, just sayin'. But if you've got money to burn then why the hell not, if that's really what you want.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Ninja'd by TheBobmus...

It depends on what you plan on doing with it most of the time. If you plan on making videos for youtube, designing houses, putting together reports and charts. The MacBook is for you. If you want to play games, get a windows based laptop.

Raognerrrm

Apr 2, 2011
The only reason I have a MacBook Pro is because it was a gift. So unless you're being given one, I'd recommend something else (no idea what, though.)
Actually, I do really like the OS. Although a lot of that like comes from it being Unix based. And the trackpad is the best I've ever used. Plus the customer service is great (provided you're willing to pay for it.) Even so, I'd consider them to be not worth the cost.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Do you have the money and the desire to spend lots of them on a laptop? If not, then don't go for Apple. If yes, then maybe you can get an Apple laptop.

I myself don't like Apple but I wouldn't stop anybody from getting their products. In fact, their PCs are rather good, I think. Only a tad overpriced for my taste. Since I can get basically the same benefits for lower amount of money, I've never felt the need to get a Mac.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Antari said:
Ninja'd by TheBobmus...

It depends on what you plan on doing with it most of the time. If you plan on making videos for youtube, designing houses, putting together reports and charts. The MacBook is for you. If you want to play games, get a windows based laptop.
I'm not really into PC gaming. I use my current one more for writing, web browsing, movie watching, etc. I'm a student so this would be a big investment for me.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I've heard that Mac computers are superior for video/photo editing, though the artists who told me that never explained why. I guess if you're willing to pay an extra 500-1000 dollars for the same hardware as a PC, but superior video/photo editing, go for it. Otherwise, I don't really know why you'd want a Macbook

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Jacco said:
Antari said:
Ninja'd by TheBobmus...

I'm not really into PC gaming. I use my current one more for writing, web browsing, movie watching, etc. I'm a student so this would be a big investment for me.
Then as a student, be smart with your purchase. The MacBook is for once your in the workforce, for what your doing now, nearly anything will do. Just make sure its not a netbook as those will have a bit of trouble with video. A full laptop is a good choice, but don't go breaking the bank just yet. Besides as a school machine it will get beaten up, don't spend the extra cash to be trashed. Lenovo's have always been durable.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Apple Products are usually solidly built (which can also be a bad thing if you want to get inside,) They are just badly overpriced. A girl I know bought a Macbook for $2200, I was able to spend $1100 building a rig with better parts. If your just planning a comp to have, I suggest going desktop unless you need a comp at all times. Might even be better to get a weak laptop for school notes and do the rest of the work at home on a desktop. As long as you can find a place to build one, you can get it done for cheap. The place I go for parts usually can build it for around 100$ which can still cheaper than buying one from somewhere. It is all about price range too though, I'm not sure how much your willing to spend.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Jacco said:
Since the community here seems to be more or less technologically competent, I figure this is the best place to ask.
Out of the gate you are immediately looking at spending twice for a Mac than you would any other brand. You need to ask yourself "why do I specifically need a Mac"? There are advantages and disadvantages to Macs(oddly enough the lists are mostly the same). A macbook would be worth it if you intended to do a lot of video editing for example.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
No. And if you are Canadian, look at the Staples sale going on right now. Until May 15th, laptops have big price cuts.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This is what I have. [http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/mini-notebook/nb300/NB305-N310/]

It has been more than adequate for movie viewing, web browsing and note taking. Why you would want to spend considerably more money for the shiny Macbook is up to you. If you just want something to use for at school consider buying the newer version of what I'm running. I put Linux on it because I wanted to try the OS out on something that wasn't my main PC and it turned out okay.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No 100% (21)
Yeah, thats a fair result.

Well if you are dumb and want to waste money - buy apple. all other cases - dont buy apple.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
You could always try and save it with Ubuntu [http://www.ubuntu.com/] if you won't be using it otherwise. But yeah, get a PC, it does everything a Mac can, plays more games, and is about half the price. The whole 'better at graphics' myth was started in the 80's/90's due to most of the software being on Mac at the time, but it's completely untrue today.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Nah, Windows PCs are better bang for buck, I'd go for one of those.
An Acer, preferably, as they're quite well made and affordable.
Also, it's 100% for no, with 23 votes.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
If you couldn't give a flying shit about messing around with the guts of your computer and just want the damn thing to work flawlessly and with minimal effort, definitely get a Mac.

Yeah I'll be the only pro-Mac person on the poll so far.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Eh, my roommate has one... couple years old, i7 quad core, et cetera... for a media machine, it's pretty damn nice (though the proprietary connector for video output is a pain in the ass. at least my shitty HP has an HDMI port).

One thing I can say that I've never seen better on any other laptop... the case. That aluminum case with the internal structural rigidity frame and its million and a half screws make it the most solidly built laptop I've ever disassembled (needed the hinge tightened about a year ago, which is better than my HP, it's actually down a hinge, and the only way to replace it is to replace the CPU heatsink with it. Macbook=decent engineering for $3000, HP=shitty engineering with the same speed for $800).

All in all, it's a very, very nice computer for anything outside gaming (even after dual-booting with WinXP and optimizing the crap out of it, the video card being a chopped down mobile model takes a toll... but that's true of any laptop that won't burn a hole in your legs) . Even compiles video well. Worth $3000, though? Hell no.

**edit** after reading the post above me, though... I suppose if you're not tech savvy, addicted to convenience and have the cash for it, a Macbook Pro is a fine choice. Just expect to have to send it in for that hinge within a year. Should be covered under warranty, probably... but if you're like me and
describes you pretty well, you can get a whole lot more for your money elsewhere.