Poll: My first playthrough of X-COM: Enemy Unknown: Vanilla, Enemy Within or other mod?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I got X-COM: Enemy Unknown with a Pre-order of Bioshock: Infinite a year or so ago and I'm finally getting around to playing it(I was gonna buy it anyway, but since it was included with a game I also wanted....).

I played the original X-COM: UFO defense something like 10 years ago and liked it, though I remember it being fairly difficult. I played Terror from the Deep's Demo and decided it was too difficult. I played the demo for this game before it came out and found it enjoyable(just not enough to think "I have to play this NOW!").

I'm aware that Enemy Within came out a few months back and apparently it was good. I've also heard there is a pretty good modding community(for the PC version, which I have).

So what I'm getting at is: Since it's my first time going through, should I play the vanilla version? Should I go ahead and buy Enemy Within and play the version with that installed? or is there a mod that trumps both of those? I'm aware the LONG WAR is apparently good but considering it's my first time I'd rather not start off with that.

I'm likely going to start tomorrow when I get home from work, so I'll be making my decision based on what I hear between now and then.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
You might as well start out with Enemy Within. The game is better for the options it adds and it won't be too overwhelming for a first timer because they tend to unlock in the mid game anyway.

Long War is probably more for people who are experienced with the game already and want to add more to it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I would go ahead and pick up Enemy Within and play them vanilla.

I played both Unknown and Within and I loved them both. Within doesn't add too much complication that you can't handle.

However, I would recommend vanilla at first at least. Now I don't play PC so maybe there are Mods that would work well for you but things like Long War and whatnot seem more designed for people who are experienced in the game and want to make it have a bit more of a challenge.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
enemy within. Its basically vanilla with a few more neat features thrown in. Long war is great, but if your new to the game you will rip your hair out. And improve your cursing ability as you shake your fist at the screen.

Edit: For example in vanilla, if memory serves a certain type of landed ufo has 20-30 max aliens. In long war I have had over 50. Even worse, I had most of them start noticing my landing party within a turn of landing, and keep coming at me in waves. (Which *never* happened in vanilla)

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
You can always add the enemy within and long war for your own pleasure, but you can't really go back to vanilla after that. Vanilla is still very fun, but I've been told enemy within and long war are mandatory at some point.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Enemy Within or Bust.

I'm one of those who thought vanilla xcom was easy on the eyes but the actual gameplay mechanics were shallow. All style and little substance in comparison to the original xcom.

Enemy within addresses quite a few of my niggles whether it be by adding new stuff, new maps, base assaults or a few more game options, I highly reccomend randomized skill trees for starters so not all your troops level the exact same and you end up getting cool soldiers with unique ability sets (of course the flip side is sometimes you get dudes with subpar skillsets but I feel it's a worthy tradeoff compared to how it is by default)

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Dalisclock said:
So I got X-COM: Enemy Unknown with a Pre-order of Bioshock: Infinite a year or so ago and I'm finally getting around to playing it(I was gonna buy it anyway, but since it was included with a game I also wanted....).

I played the original X-COM: UFO defense something like 10 years ago and liked it, though I remember it being fairly difficult. I played Terror from the Deep's Demo and decided it was too difficult. I played the demo for this game before it came out and found it enjoyable(just not enough to think "I have to play this NOW!").

I'm aware that Enemy Within came out a few months back and apparently it was good. I've also heard there is a pretty good modding community(for the PC version, which I have).

So what I'm getting at is: Since it's my first time going through, should I play the vanilla version? Should I go ahead and buy Enemy Within and play the version with that installed? or is there a mod that trumps both of those? I'm aware the LONG WAR is apparently good but considering it's my first time I'd rather not start off with that.

I'm likely going to start tomorrow when I get home from work, so I'll be making my decision based on what I hear between now and then.
You missed out on your chance to play it for free on steam a month back, I think I sunk a entire day at once playing it when got the first chance too.
I'd suggest vanilla first so you know what additions are in the expansion (one of the words I've never thought i'd say again, thanks dlc) but frankly bugger sense.
The long war.
Do it.
Dooooo eeeeet
It's the most like the original xcom
long, expansive and tough
prepare for pain my friend
an d enjoy every part of it's depths.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Enemy Within is just Enemy Unknown with some really cool bells and whistles so Id play that.

I personally wouldnt mod the game for the first playthrough myself. I notice most mods tend to be for advanced players.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Dalisclock said:

Since I'm currently working my way through ironman Long War, I'd say it's like this.
Vanilla is more like a demo than anything else. It has the basic stuff and the basic story, but that is about it. It might be a little bit harder than Enemy Within because you don't have accsess to things I consider a bit overpowered.
With Enemy Within you get all the fun stuff, like meld and exalt missions which makes the whole thing more interesting.
So I would advice you to get that regardless because it is a very good expantion.
However you can basically stick with 1 team from beginning to end, and once all are gene modded with stealth and jump it just totally breaks the game imo.

Now if you want something a bit closer to UFO-defense, and something that actually challange you, then go for Long War.
You need Enemy Within for it, but the mod is free and HUGE! It's hard to even explain all that it does, but it made the game what I felt it should be. With more classes, more items, weapons, enemys and everything else it's just not a longer game for the sake of being longer. It's actually more of an expantion than Enemy within is.
I'd say you should just start with Long War right away, because if you like the game that is where you should end up anyways. By doing that you avoid getting into bad habbits wich will get you killed, because in Long War there is a heavy focus on firefigts, and not "rush in and obliterate everything in the same turn you see them".

Just one word of advice if you go for Long War.. Newfoundland is terrifying, rush it and your entire squad can magically dissapear in about 3 turns.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If you're an achievement lover, start with Enemy Unknown as Enemy Within assumes you've played through the original in that department.

Otherwise, start with Enemy Within as it gives you more options and can be completed slightly faster because it's easier. Plus it encourages you to do things like upgrade pistols because of the Spec Ops type missions. I've not played it on PC, but it's a damn awesome game that can take over 20 hours of gameplay to beat even without the extended version so it's well worth a go.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Dalisclock said:

Stick with Enemy Within, I'd recommend normal difficulty, at least to begin.

I loved Enemy Within, but the difficult curve was a little wonky in classic. The game was WAY too hard until you got to the first terror mission, and then it got reasonable after that. Whenever I tried EW on classic, I would always get to the first terror mission and just get destroyed. I always played it on normal, and then after the first terror mission cranked it to classic.

As for Long War...ugh, I hate even talking about it because it had SO much potential, but I honestly can't recommend it, even with "not so long war" turned on. The biggest problem is that a lot of it is simply too slow and long. For example, damaged interceptors can take nearly a month to repair, which is downright insane, especially since they are much weaker than they are in regular EW or EU. Research takes absolutely forever, yet the Aliens seem to advance at the same rate as they do in regular EU or EW.

The other issue is that the new character classes sound really cool, but they're basically just recombinations of the existing classes, some of which make absolutely no sense (the "Scout" for example, is a combination of the Sniper and Assault, which are two polar opposite classes and their abilities don't really meld with each other).

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Always start unmodded...how else can you judge if a mod is any good? Might aswell start at the beginning and work your way through...they are pathetically easy games on anything but the hardest setting so go for classic which doesn't come close to living up to it's name :p

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
On second thought, Long war may not be the best place to start as it has a tendancy to be a tad bit unfair..
After killing two guys and a SHIV, a Mechtoid blew a hole in the wall revealing 6 Outsiders and 4 Chryssalids

So it may not be that beginner friendly as the bigger than normal packs can really screw you over.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Play the vanilla Enemy Unknown campaign first, if only because it'll seem really dull if you try it after already do the Enemy Within version. It's also a fair bit simpler and will let you get a better feel for the core mechanics before you start adding in exotic elements like minigun wielding cyborgs.

Also whichever version you play make sure you push for more satellites ASAP. The game doesn't make much of a fuss about explaining their significance but you'll be totally screwed long game if you don't bother making/ launching any.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Enemy Within, unmodded, on Classic difficulty.

Normal is way too easy, even for relative neophytes to the genre, and as the game already has an odd difficulty curve where things get dramatically easier around the midway point of a campaign you'll just find the game becoming trivial as you learn it. Better to bang your head against Classic for a bit and learn that way.

Afterwards, if you want to up your challenge but not deal with the tedium of Impossible, Long War is a possibility.

Apr 5, 2008
I'd say either EU or EW. EU is the original game without the extras EW introduced. In a way, it's actually quite good to have a playthru first on EU, learn the base game and what not, then move on to EW and enjoy the cool additions and tweaks.

Gustavos

Jul 19, 2009
Long War is absolutely brutal. Though if you've braved previous Xcom games, then you may have the necessary nerves, or patience, depending on whether you drop a save at the beginning of, or even during missions. My vote goes toward Enemy Unknown vanilla, because while Enemy Within is awesome, you probably want to get used to the original game's enemies, classes, and environments before tackling new ones.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
I have both on the 360 (microsoft doesn't like expansion packs so they were actually released as individual full games) enemy within is much better and a much "fuller" experience. I am currently playing enemy unknown because I need to finish off some achievements, but it just isn't the same since I played enemy within.