Poll: Nerds. Movies and RL

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
"Well, nerds in Northern Europe are all like that."

HEY! How come I'm 170cm tall and weigh in at 57kg then?:(

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Gordon Freeman is considered a nerd but can kick @$$ with his trusty crowbar. So what exactly is a nerd nowadays? Seems like everyone now has some type of quality that seems "nerdy" but other qualities that say otherwise.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I'm fairly certain that I qualify as a nerd, and I'm a passably attractive girl who does community theater and is a typical Philly sports fan. I don't fill the stereotype, but I still love geeky pastimes. It's your interests, not your looks that define you.

Silver_Runner

Feb 23, 2010
The question is are you okay with considering yourself a nerd? I'm a bit of everything, nerd included. I have to say though I probably boast more about being a nerd, than my ability to do a complete 1,000 calorie cardio burn on the eliptical in 48 minutes. So see, I'm a gym junky, I'm a nerd, I'm an art dork, I'm a goth, I'm a cowgirl, and a city slicker. Be who you are.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
lee1287 said:
Where do you live btw? Because when i picture the USA schools ystem i se, Jocks, Cheerleaders, and geeky/nerdy people. That's it.
Don't worry, that concept only exists in shitty small-towns and bad 80s movies. The people who like "nerdy" things are usually the most socially savvy where I live.

OT: If you think you're a nerd, go right ahead and call yourself one.

Garrsus

Jun 21, 2010
im a nerd but in my opinion,there are MANY types of nerd, one i know are: gaming, anime, internet, world of warcraft (this has its own genre because the ones i know talk about nothing but it), maths, science and warhammer. so in my case yes you are.

mabrookes

Dec 5, 2010
Depends who you listen to, either you go by the actual definition - which somewhat describes what you claim to be.

"a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious:I was a serious nerd until I discovered girls and cars
a single-minded expert in a particular technical field:a computer nerd"

or you can go by whatever your local dialect from your country and area defines it as. This can have some variation from the above with some added bits to a completely different concept. The actual definition is more accurate I think.

And the stereotypical person you describe is more of a geek than nerd (there is a subtle difference);

"an unfashionable or socially inept person.
[usually with modifier] a knowledgeable and obsessive enthusiast:a computer geek"

Although often described as nerds, the characters portrayed are in fact geeks. They are intertwined in society though.

Lead Herring

Mar 14, 2011
I would say the typical nerd build, fashion sense and social skills are caused by the main indicator of nerddom, obsession with 'geeky' topics. Someone who plays video games all day usually isn't going to build up much muscle mass and so they end up built like a twig, couple this with a bad diet or predisposition to obesity and you get the fat nerd archetype. If too much of their time is spent arguing about shit they like on forums, then they obviously don't spend too much time speaking to people face to face and hence they lack the stimulus required to develop social skills.

Of course there's nothing stopping you from liking things like games, anime, computers, etc and socializing, exercising and being interested in more than one thing at the same time, it's just the people who like these things are usually obsessed with those topics alone.

TL;DR You're a nerd if you like topics that are associated with nerds, other indicators such as fitness and social skills result from being to ingrained in nerd culture to go outside.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Who the hell cares, you are what you are, stop trying to define yourself by extremely diluted nouns.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Better question is, why do you feel the need to define yourself through an extremely 2-dimensional and stereotypical title? This isn't highschool.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
as rl is not american series and movies, being tall does not make a non-nerd. so i guess you are a nerd (congratulations? my condolences?)

[boring stuff following:] some of my friends can be considered nerds, too, and none of them is small, skinny or fat, and they all know how to wash their hair. then again, maybe they aren't that much nerdy, as they go out, too. as in discos, bars, pubs, you name it.
...except for one of them; only recently he chose to become a basement-dweller. aged almost 26, he moved to the basement of his father's house a couple of months ago, and eats pizza and canned ravioli, he sometimes has fatty hair, and he does not go out. ever. he studies informatics, and he if he's not at university, he's watching animes or plays videogames. [/boring stuff]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I define a nerd by interests, not appearance. Basically anyone on this site is most likely a nerd of some sort. My dad is a super nerd, but he is a big strong jock type guy...who loves MTG, DnD, video games and comic books. (And so do I, mostly because of him)

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Ulvai said:
all of them would be physically weak, socially awkward, completely incapable of defending themselves.
Well seeing how you are a fellow Norwegian and you probably also live there as I do you would know that this constitutes 90% of all people here, including all the jocks and nerds and pimps.

Ok, that isn't true, but these parameters are hard to define. How weak? How awkward? Even though your tall and buff, I think most people here would still consider you a nerd just based on your interests, but personally I think nerd is more about to what degree you are interested in something and not what you are interested in. I'm a nerd. Everyone says so, but I'm above 180, athletic and socially awesome. Like I said, more about the degree than the interest area.

Solon_Mega

Feb 7, 2011
Notice the fine materials:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/Lj_7-HEx/Picture0011.html

Gadddamit! How do I upload this things correctly?