Poll: New forum rules - Yay or Nay?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Seems like a bunch of crap to me. Says I have 3 warnings but... I never received one of them.
Why can't I be forgiven of things in the past? So can I no longer engage in debate because I might hurt someone's feelings? Should I just not post at all? The offenses for getting a probation or warning seems to be getting harsher. By this standard, I'll probably be banned simply for existing round here >.>

Or am I going to get a probation for this post just because I'm questioning rule around here?
I wonder if anyone were to see the irony...

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I should probably post something to see these new rules, which I will now do.

Edit: Okay, WTF? You'll be on probation permanently? Why?! That seems a little harsh. Not to mention that I think it's incredibly dickish to take away the badges of good behavior you have already earned if you get suspended once. I mean, I've seen plenty of suspensions for things that really weren't all that bad.

(Did I understand the taking away your badges part correctly or did they simply mean you won't receive any more in the future?)

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Might be to harsh, might just be a slight misunderstanding of the wording by the OP. Might just mean you won't go back to getting warnings once you have received a probation, etc.

That's what I took away from that at least.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
The new rules are created based on a lot of feedback from the community over a large amount of time. They actually haven't changed as much as updated as per members' request. Now we just give examples which again, members asked for.

As for seeing warnings and probations get erased, currently it's not going to happen. We are holding people accountable for their actions and we feel 8 strikes is more than enough. 99.9% of the forum members don't have more than 2 warnings (if I'm not mistaken, 82% don't have any infractions). If people can't learn how to be respectful towards others and follow very simple rules, they won't be here for long. Everyone has a bad day but even off of the internet, if you do something stupid on that bad day, you are held accountable. The same goes for The Escapist forums.

As for the forum health bars, we were tired of hearing "why did this person only get a warning and this other person get a suspension?" Well, now you can tell because we've laid it out for you.

I'm not saying there won't be changes in the future but at this time this is what we are sticking with.

Jul 9, 2008
orangebandguy said:
I must inspect this.

*le inspects..

*after inspection, shouldn't really bother me anyways, I've never recieved a probation ever. LOOK AT MY SHINY NEO BADGE! <3

Only thing I would be a bit worried about is the "was put on probation for:" being around permanently and making visual clutter.
I'm curious about what this is, just quoting you because your post was right there. Excuse me.

EDIT: Well...most of that was just common sense and a logical extension of what was there before. However, the new 8 strike system seems stupid to me. I mean *points to Neo* I've never had a problem with staying on the mods' good side, but this seems needlessly unforgiving, it makes so much more sense to me to keep it on a case-by-case basis.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Forum health meter? That sounds odd, let me check.

Well, sounds like a decent enough system to me. Maybe this means staff will crack down on people a little more.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
GeorgW said:
And that's why there's an appeal system.
Let's not kid ourselves. The appeal system is a joke and only exists to give posters a false sense of hope. You'd have better luck trying to pull out a tooth of a pitbull.

King Leoric

Jun 7, 2009
Actual said:
They haven't really changed have they?

This site needs to be harsher on trolls and more lenient on users who're just wise-cracking.

And the advice forum needs to die in a fire.
Agreed, the punishments could be a bit harsher.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Seems a bit sucky that previous probations are already counted against me. I'm gonna be very paranoid about making a joke in the near future.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I find it rather unfair that there's absolutely no way to clear your record. Everybody slips up now and then. I'm usually the first to advocate harsh punishment for infractions, but this is ridiculous. With harsh punishments should come rewards for good behavior. So if you've not committed any infractions for a certain amount of time, your 'forum heath meter' should go back down.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Uhhh, appeals. Geez, people honestly think in such doom and gloom scenarios and yet they forget that there is a possibility of appealing to cases.

Jul 9, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
The new rules are created based on a lot of feedback from the community over a large amount of time. They actually haven't changed as much as updated as per members' request. Now we just give examples which again, members asked for.

As for seeing warnings and probations get erased, currently it's not going to happen. We are holding people accountable for their actions and we feel 8 strikes is more than enough. 99.9% of the forum members don't have more than 2 warnings (if I'm not mistaken, 82% don't have any infractions). If people can't learn how to be respectful towards others and follow very simple rules, they won't be here for long. Everyone has a bad day but even off of the internet, if you do something stupid on that bad day, you are held accountable. The same goes for The Escapist forums.

As for the forum health bars, we were tired of hearing "why did this person only get a warning and this other person get a suspension?" Well, now you can tell because we've laid it out for you.

I'm not saying there won't be changes in the future but at this time this is what we are sticking with.
Just out of curiosity, will you take severity of infractions into account? For example, if someone does something a level above flaming, would you give them 2 strikes at once?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Woodsey said:
Forum health metre.
Awesome, I've never seen this Forum Health Meter before, thanks for making me aware of it! Personally, I think that's a great addition to the site, if only because I like slightly pointless things like that (badges, for example).

P.S: The captchas can still die in fire...

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
King Leoric said:
Actual said:
They haven't really changed have they?

This site needs to be harsher on trolls and more lenient on users who're just wise-cracking.

And the advice forum needs to die in a fire.
Agreed, the punishments could be a bit harsher.
Oh, yes they could.

I post on several different forums, one of them requires every post to be approved by as mod before it can be seen until you reach a decent post count. Guess what, people on that forum are leagues more mature than some people you see here.

Stricter moderation seems to improve forum communities, in my experience at least.

Di'kut

Mar 28, 2011
Gotta post so I get to see these new rules, will update my post once I have seen them..

Has ban jumping always been in there or was it added just now? I could swear I haven't seen it before.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Hold on, I have to see it first.

EDIT: I don't like the new dicipine rules. Warnings should go away overtime, as should probation. I especially don't like them taking away your badges.

I think they should re-edit the rules so that warnings and probations go away and badges should not be touched.

richd213

Mar 2, 2011
Don't care about the punishments but one thing that I see commonly on this website is people being told off for low content posts. Why not just set a lower limit for the number of characters in a post? Then that's one less thing the mods have to worry about and everyone's happy.