Poll: New forum rules - Yay or Nay?

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Ubermetalhed said:
Virgil said:
Daedalus1942 said:
If we get enough people, they will not be able to ignore us any longer.
Yes we could. The forums make up a minor portion of our traffic, and the users that actually cause problems make up a minor part of the forums. Even if your group managed to get every member that had ever received a warning, probation, or ban to sign up, which you won't, it would still not be enough people to make a difference.

Don't forget, we know what kind of people will have a problem under the new system and end up getting banned because of it. We expect those people to get banned. It's not something that we didn't already think about.
Well that sounds alot like we don't need you faithful forum goers of the escapist, our website can be successful on our own doesn't it?

Shouldn't you actually listen to your users opinions on this?

Although it seems in the last year or so the Escapist has started getting worse as its popularity has grown. Reminds me of TGWTG and Spoony Experiment.

To be honest to see that i'm permanently on probation is a bit ridiculous. You know probation is meant to have an end right?
You're surprised?
It's been this way for a long time. It's standard internet fare.
They create an aspect of the website centred around community interaction then implement a system which allows them to weed out undesireables.
Sounds alright, except for the fact that expulsions are issued towards people who are 'sufficiently rude', or 'sufficiently contrary'. Maybe you just have an unpopular opinion.
Maybe you caught a mod on a bad day.
And, of course, unless the mod decides to tell you, you won't even know the proper reasons for the decision meaning you have very limited knowledge for your appeal.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I think some changes were necessary to the forum rules. I know when I first joined this site, last summer, that it almost seemed like being on probation was being treated as, well... not a badge of honor or anything; but there were so many "was put on probation for..." and links to the post, that the site almost seemed to celebrate the fact that someone was on probation.

I recall actually contacting the forum mods asking about this. And they did do a great job explaining the theory behind it. I guess we'll wait and see how these new rules work out.

And, by what I read, it seems that posting a link to an ad blocker is not allowed, but it doesn't say you can't use one. Of course, the rules are specifically covering forums posts, so maybe there is another rule set somewhere stating that you can't use an ad blocker.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
It makes me nervous to see that I can only make a few are low posts, but apart from that it's fine. Of the 3400 posts I've made it seems like 5 have been low content.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Xanthious said:
I still would like a public answer as to my inquiry about The Escapist staff and ad blockers.
None of the staff use ad blockers, at least not at our office. I obviously can't vouch for all their home computers, but there aren't any on the computers in my house.

We are a company that is supported by ads. People that use ad blockers are directly hurting our site. If everyone ran an ad blocker, we wouldn't have jobs. Which is why anyone that admits to using them, or encourages others to, gets banned. This is not a new rule, this has always been the policy.

If you could find a way to tell if they are being used or not and punish those that use them you would.
I unquestionably would.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Trolldor said:
Does this mean that mods will have to fully explain justifications for any action issued for a member's apparent trolling?
And if an appeal is successful, can the mod recieve a warning for a false accusation?
I will give you credit for taking into account the moderation team's humanity. By and large, we're all regular forum-goers who've been around enough and have been made mods. It means most know the lay of the land, and what is and isn't kosher on the forums.

While that means mods in general know their way around, every mod's going to have some oversight in one section of another, which is what the appeal system is for. Failing that, the user is always welcome to PM Spinwhiz or contact someone staff-side on the IRC. Despite people saying "The Appeal system doesn't work. Ever." I know it does. For anyone who doubts that, look at the retired mod Ultrajoe. He was once permanently banned, then he was back, then he was a mod. Now he's back to posting regularly. That should be proof enough that you can successfully appeal even the most permanent moderator action.

As for the receiving a warning, I'm fairly certain mods don't get warnings. If we screw up enough, we're out.

But the whole purpose of "accusations of trolling," I'd like to think that rule stems back to flame-baiting. In calling someone "just a troll" (or some such), it's creating an argument in a thread. If that argument sparks (which it commonly will), a thread will be derailed, discussion stifled, and two users at the other's throat. Which both allude to "put effort into your communication" and "have respect for others" rules.

In any case, I can assure you mods are held accountable for the things they do, and anyone can appeal any decision given enough rational.

Also, just as a general tip for anyone who feels like they're being harassed, by mod or otherwise:

Keep the offending PMs, take screenshots of any abuse, keep copies and records - timestamps too if possible - and combine these elements when you're handing in a report. He said/she said arguments generally fall pretty flat, but good records leave a clear indicator of what happens when. Even if you feel like you're being unfairly treated by a mod, saving your system messages could give the appeals board a better idea of what is going wrong, and on whose end.

Hopefully that's helped. If anyone ever has any moderation questions, never hesitate to PM the mods. We're almost always available. I know I am.

Warmest regards,
Nuke

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
So, there´s been an update to the rules. If you haven´t seen it, it´ll come up when you try to post.

So anyway, what does the Escapist think of this new set of rules? Yay? Nay? Don´t care?!

Personally, i think the rules are just as good as usual, but the whole forum health meter thing sounds a little unfair. I mean, you can NEVER get strikes back? That sounds kinda impractical.

Let´s be hypothetical here: Let´s say a poster reaches the last zone before a ban, but decides he/she doesn´t like to be banned and stops acting like a twat. 9 months pass with plenty of posts and not a single infraction, but then, this poster makes one post that could be classified as offensive/jerkish etc. And they´re banned. I dunno. Just doesn´t sound fair to me.

I voted "Some yay". If they got rid of the "Forum health meter" i´d be good. I don´t think infractions should be measured in this way.

I completely agree. It really doesn't seem fair. I mean seriously, even if someone were to clean up their act, go for years being completely perfect and becoming very popular, then they still get banned forever if they make one more mistake! That is just wrong.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I do think it would be nice if warnings would expire after a set time. I've got one... and I think it's from right after I joined, and foolishly didn't read the forum posts, and consequently my first post ever earned me a warning for a low-content post.

Though I can understand why they chose to have warnings not expire. Some people will always try to game the system.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Viking Incognito said:
awesomeClaw said:
So, there´s been an update to the rules. If you haven´t seen it, it´ll come up when you try to post.

So anyway, what does the Escapist think of this new set of rules? Yay? Nay? Don´t care?!

Personally, i think the rules are just as good as usual, but the whole forum health meter thing sounds a little unfair. I mean, you can NEVER get strikes back? That sounds kinda impractical.

Let´s be hypothetical here: Let´s say a poster reaches the last zone before a ban, but decides he/she doesn´t like to be banned and stops acting like a twat. 9 months pass with plenty of posts and not a single infraction, but then, this poster makes one post that could be classified as offensive/jerkish etc. And they´re banned. I dunno. Just doesn´t sound fair to me.

I voted "Some yay". If they got rid of the "Forum health meter" i´d be good. I don´t think infractions should be measured in this way.

I completely agree. It really doesn't seem fair. I mean seriously, even if someone were to clean up their act, go for years being completely perfect and becoming very popular, then they still get banned forever if they make one more mistake! That is just wrong.
I would agree, but the fact is that it's not hard to avoid making one mistake. I've made one mistake total, and since then I've been very careful to follow all the rules. It's really as simple as that.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Yureina said:
Slycne said:
Daedalus1942 said:
It seems very hypocritical to me and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was not aware of this, but yes, it does appear you're correct. God I love the double standards on this site...
-.-
-Tabs<3-
Yeah, I know. The average forum poster risks loosing posting privileges, but it's our jobs that could potentially be on the line. Where's my equal treatment!
You are at risk of being fired because of forum moderation issues?

Somehow I doubt that...
Part of working here, as with many jobs, means adhering to a our employee handbook. Penalties for continued problems at failing to act in a professional manner leads up to and include termination of employment.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
NewClassic said:
Trolldor said:
Does this mean that mods will have to fully explain justifications for any action issued for a member's apparent trolling?
And if an appeal is successful, can the mod recieve a warning for a false accusation?
I will give you credit for taking into account the moderation team's humanity. By and large, we're all regular forum-gower who've been around enough and have been made mods. It means most know the lay of the land, and what is and isn't kosher on the forums.

While that means mods in general know their way around, every mod's going to have some oversight in one section of another, which is what the appeal system is for. Failing that, the user is always welcome to PM Spinwhiz or contact someone staff-side on the IRC. Despite people saying "The Appeal system doesn't work. Ever." I know it does. For anyone who doubts that, look at the retired mod Ultrajoe. He was once permanently banned, then he was back, then he was a mod. Now he's back to posting regularly. That should be proof enough that you can successfully appeal even the most permanent moderator action.

As for the receiving a warning, I'm fairly certain mods don't get warnings. If we screw up enough, we're out.

But the whole purpose of "accusations of trolling," I'd like to think that rule stems back to flame-baiting. In calling someone "just a troll" (or some such), it's creating an argument in a thread. If that argument sparks (which it commonly will), a thread will be derailed, discussion stifled, and two users at the other's throat. Which both allude to "put effort into your communication" and "have respect for others" rules.

In any case, I can assure you mods are held accountable for the things they do, and anyone can appeal any decision given enough rational.

Also, just as a general tip for anyone who feels like they're being harassed, by mod or otherwise:

Keep the offending PMs, take screenshots of any abuse, keep copies and records - timestamps too if possible - and combine these elements when you're handing in a report. He said/she said arguments generally fall pretty flat, but good records leave a clear indicator of what happens when. Even if you feel like you're being unfairly treated by a mod, saving your system messages could give the appeals board a better idea of what is going wrong, and on whose end.

Hopefully that's helped. If anyone ever has any moderation questions, never hesitate to PM the mods. We're almost always available. I know I am.

Warmest regards,
Nuke
You have no idea how much I wish we could just frigging clone you about two or three dozen times. XD

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
jboking said:
While some might view that as a justified reason for piracy, it does not defeat the fact that piracy is an illegal activity and therefore, shouldn't be advocated
Actually... Banning someone for endorsing pirating an out-of-distribution game, or one that is simply not available in their country of origins would be pretty hypocritical.

The good folks at Extra Credits ENDORSED such a thing.

cp.06

Jun 20, 2010
Meh, rules are rules. Until the Escapist starts banning 'undesirable topics' and the like whenever it wants, I'm pretty happy with however they want to run their website.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
I am okay with most of these rules but I understand why people are upset by permanent probation. Even the inherent contradiction of it's name.

These rules probably won't effect me much anyway because I usually double(and occasionally triple)check my post to make sure I am not saying anything punishable or too jerk-y (jerk-like?).