Poll: New forum rules - Yay or Nay?

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Just wait while I read this..

Not sure I agree entirely with the meter-thingy. At least you should have a way of reducing your "bad stuff".

Also, what are these "good behavior badges"??

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
A strong Nay for me as well... this is just stupid, it's like playing the Policemen in order to get a sense of power, IN A GAMING NEWS SITE (see the irony?).

the funniest thing is that i just looked at the barometer and it says i'm in a constant probation period... so... yay for freedom of speech lol!

staleBread

Feb 24, 2011
I only have 1 question about the new rules:

Similarly, posts including, advocating, or linking to illegal or adult material are a very quick way to end your time as part of The Escapist community. An example of these are:

Illegal Drugs in the United States

Does this mean we can't have threads like "Should Drugs be Legalized in the US?" anymore?

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
Well... I find that an old mate of mine, ZeroZshadow, put it best:
"Behave or be destroyed!"

I personally believe that rulebreakers are rulebreakers, and will hardly change, besides, people do get warnings.

As always, the policy with these sorts of things will have to be "like it or leave", as for me, I like it and will probably continue to post occasionally when something catches my interest.

I don't find it difficult to maintain a reasonable level of social interactions with other people, and if I have a permanent record to back that up, neat.
I can't understand people claiming that they want to "earn points back", etc. because to me, it almost sounds like they plan on losing them in the first place.

So, I don't mind. Any decent community requires strict administration, after all.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
I find it rather unfair that there's absolutely no way to clear your record. Everybody slips up now and then. I'm usually the first to advocate harsh punishment for infractions, but this is ridiculous. With harsh punishments should come rewards for good behavior. So if you've not committed any infractions for a certain amount of time, your 'forum heath meter' should go back down.
Nobody should be able to slip up 8 times and being given more chances. If anyone can't learn how to be respectful and follow our rules after what is pretty much 8 infractions, they shouldn't be here.
Not even if the infractions are upwards of 6 months to year apart? Maybe even 2 years or more? 'Cause clearly if that's the case, that's not a person who's out to cause trouble; that's a person who just got a little carried away one day.
That is why we give 7 chances. Don't think I'm trying to push you, or anyone else, off either. I completely understand where you are coming from as we've had this discussion internally before we could even think about launching the new penalty system and updated rules (which has been months now). We just feel that we do give chances, 8 of them, and those who can not hold it together for The Escapist to have to tell someone 8 times that isn't how you behave is more than enough.
Ok, but what really gets me is I didn't get the four warnings and I'm already in the yellow zone. Under the old system I've received mod wrath, I think, 3 times, 1 probation, and 2 suspensions. I'm not going to pretend I didn't deserve them, 'cause I did. I let myself get carried away, what gets me is how does that translate into 5 warnings under the new system?
Edit: esp. since there's no chance for redemption.
Anyone with more than 2 probations (even suspensions) automatically received a yellow. Some people got lucky, having more than 2 suspensions and not getting a red automatically or even getting permabanned immediately. This would obviously be in bad taste, so we didn't do that. If you received 1 probation or less (warnings), you will be in the green. On a rare occasion where you had 4 or 5 warnings plus a probation, you will also be in the yellow probation category.
Well I just don't think that's right. I've only been in trouble with the mods 3 times and I'm already out 5 out of my 8 chances.
Then send in an appeal and see what happens.
Appeal?!?! With what? I said for each of those in infractions, I deserved what I got. I had broken the rules and I served my punishment peacefully and without complaint. Now it seems I'm being punished for them AGAIN however. I fail to see how that's justified.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
staleBread said:

Similarly, posts including, advocating, or linking to illegal or adult material are a very quick way to end your time as part of The Escapist community. An example of these are:

Does this mean we can't have threads like "Should Drugs be Legalized in the US?" anymore?
hahahahhaha Orson Welles would be proud of this

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I like mindless discussion threads quite a bit. You know - "Show me a picture that you think is kinda silly". Under the new forum rules (at least, how I understand them), that thread would be frozen because it has "no discussion value". That and the health bar thing is kinda odd...
Apart from that, I don't really care much about the forum rules. They seem more like reasonable logic and social skills than things we'd have to follow, and I used to stay pretty much within the restrictions now given before the update.

I might struggle with not calling troll on occasion though. Overall, I voted Other.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, after seeing the permanent probation thing...I'm really not sure.

See, my 3 warnings have been for really minor things; a low content post, a 'tl;dr' post and an apparently inappropriate post in the Advice Forum...
The last 2 were really minor and was just relative to the person that issued it.

I dunno, I just don't find it fair that I risk the chance of a permanent probation for minor things *shrug* ah well.

Darkm00 said:
Just wait while I read this..

Not sure I agree entirely with the meter-thingy. At least you should have a way of reducing your "bad stuff".

Also, what are these "good behavior badges"??
Couldn't agree with you more; there should be some kind of redemption thing to get your health back, so to say. *sigh*, really really hate this new system, but I love this forum so I'm not gonna get all hurt about it, eh><.

And the good behaviour badges are the Trinity, Morpheus and Neo badges I think:].

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
GeorgW said:
CarlMinez said:
Are there any moderators on this thread discussing this? Because it feels like an open dialogue between users and moderators is what we need right now.
I'm here, and have been since the start.It's just hard to keep up.
I said this last time there was a discussion of the rules. You guys need a different colour name instead the dark blue. I'm colourblind, I can't see a difference to the black names of "normal" posters unless I concentrate hard on it.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
Spinwhiz said:
canadamus_prime said:
I find it rather unfair that there's absolutely no way to clear your record. Everybody slips up now and then. I'm usually the first to advocate harsh punishment for infractions, but this is ridiculous. With harsh punishments should come rewards for good behavior. So if you've not committed any infractions for a certain amount of time, your 'forum heath meter' should go back down.
Nobody should be able to slip up 8 times and being given more chances. If anyone can't learn how to be respectful and follow our rules after what is pretty much 8 infractions, they shouldn't be here.
Not even if the infractions are upwards of 6 months to year apart? Maybe even 2 years or more? 'Cause clearly if that's the case, that's not a person who's out to cause trouble; that's a person who just got a little carried away one day.
That is why we give 7 chances. Don't think I'm trying to push you, or anyone else, off either. I completely understand where you are coming from as we've had this discussion internally before we could even think about launching the new penalty system and updated rules (which has been months now). We just feel that we do give chances, 8 of them, and those who can not hold it together for The Escapist to have to tell someone 8 times that isn't how you behave is more than enough.
Ok, but what really gets me is I didn't get the four warnings and I'm already in the yellow zone. Under the old system I've received mod wrath, I think, 3 times, 1 probation, and 2 suspensions. I'm not going to pretend I didn't deserve them, 'cause I did. I let myself get carried away, what gets me is how does that translate into 5 warnings under the new system?
Edit: esp. since there's no chance for redemption.
Anyone with more than 2 probations (even suspensions) automatically received a yellow. Some people got lucky, having more than 2 suspensions and not getting a red automatically or even getting permabanned immediately. This would obviously be in bad taste, so we didn't do that. If you received 1 probation or less (warnings), you will be in the green. On a rare occasion where you had 4 or 5 warnings plus a probation, you will also be in the yellow probation category.
Well I just don't think that's right. I've only been in trouble with the mods 3 times and I'm already out 5 out of my 8 chances.
Then send in an appeal and see what happens.
Appeal?!?! With what? I said for each of those in infractions, I deserved what I got. I had broken the rules and I served my punishment peacefully and without complaint. Now it seems I'm being punished for them AGAIN however. I fail to see how that's justified.
You aren't being punished again, you are being held accountable for your actions, just as you were before. Did you think your previous infractions disappeared? They never disappear. We always use them to tell us what the next step in the penalty process is, regardless of time. Now we've just let you see it.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Posting to see new rules.

Having seen said new rules, I don't really like the permanent strikes idea either. I think that maybe you could lose one strike for every one or two months of good behavior. That way it doesn't make the strike system worthless, but it makes it more forgiving for those who have had a change of heart.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Nerf Ninja said:
I said this last time there was a discussion of the rules. You guys need a different colour name instead the dark blue. I'm colourblind, I can't see a difference to the black names of "normal" posters unless I concentrate hard on it.
I know that Staff and Mods have a double title if that helps you distinguish.

Edit: actually, I'm wrong about that.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
staleBread said:

I've already asked, we're allowed to discuss illegal stuff and whether it should be legalised, just not admit to doing it ourselves or advocate that others do it.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
As long as I carry on being a *ahem* paragon of virtue, I'm fine with whatever they throw at me. As long as they don't ban, I dunno, posting or whatever

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
it's starting to get kinda ridiculous how many rules there are for forums, not just on the escapist... idk, it sadens me, so NAY!

edit: i'm not going to get a warning for having "nay" in caps am i?