Poll: New forum rules - Yay or Nay?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I have a problem; namely, the fact that quite a few of the things mentioned in these new rules were already against the rules (according to the official Rules Thread), and the forum mods were doing a crappy job of enforcing quite a few of them...

I hope this isn't going to turn into a situation like the Television Without Pity forums, where anyone who doesn't sufficiently stroke the egos of the site runners gets banned.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
edit - the current change removing points every six months kinda renders the previous post null and void. Bad timing on my part. Bah!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
My large two bits of beef about the rule changes is (unsurprisingly) the fact that there's no way to remove warnings from the profile and the fact that advocating ad blockers is now results in instant Mod Wrath (which seems to be very much a case of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut).

I have a suggestion about making an expiry system: basically, have a green block expire every three months, have a yellow block expire every six months and have every red block expire every twelve months, or something to that proportion. If you get another block, you lose any progress made in removing the previous block, and only the block with the longest time period can be recovered at any point in time. Ho-hum, fixed already. I wonder if it means that you can roll back to Matrix badges territory after getting a probation now?

My complaint about ad blockers is that it's going to inevitably come up for any forums that run adverts. It's also the fact that warnings are now promoted to Mod Wrath status (albeit a quarter of the old definition of Mod Wrath). I personally think that posts advocating ad blockers should get a sub-warning, basically a PM to not do that again. If he/she does it again, then fair enough, apply Wrath. But for people who didn't read through the rules (the vast majority of the userbase of any website), finding that advocating ad blockers results in Wrath would be a bit of a shock. To nick a page name from TVTropes, it's a case of Murder, Arson and Jaywalking.

But then again, I suppose that might prompt cries of "why wasn't he Wrath'd for doing the same thing I got insta-Wrath'd for?" It's a rock and a hard place.

*tempted to post a popcorn.gif RE: the lolicon debate*

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
UPDATE

As of right now, we have implemented a new system due to community feedback and to continually make these forums a better place. From now on, every 6 months a strike will be taken off your forum health meter for good behavior (meaning you have no infractions). After 2 years of no infractions, your infractions will be completely cleared.

Please note, this does not mean that every 6 months you can afford an infraction. If we see that you are playing the system, our moderators will hold you accountable.

You will see these changes taking place over the next 24 hours for those of your with no infractions over the last 6 months or 2 years.
Awesomesauce! This was the only issue I had with the current system. Thanks for listening to the community!

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Spinwhiz said:
UPDATE

As of right now, we have implemented a new system due to community feedback and to continually make these forums a better place. From now on, every 6 months a strike will be taken off your forum health meter for good behavior (meaning you have no infractions). After 2 years of no infractions, your infractions will be completely cleared.

Please note, this does not mean that every 6 months you can afford an infraction. If we see that you are playing the system, our moderators will hold you accountable.

You will see these changes taking place over the next 24 hours for those of your with no infractions over the last 6 months or 2 years.
Sweet, now I actually feel like I can post like I was without this big thing hanging over my head. The permanency was more or less the only thing that I didn't like, and was downright afraid of I might add, to the point I really wasn't feeling brave enough to openly criticize it honestly, so good show. Place feels comfortable again.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
I've been moderated for asking someone 'if they read what I said' because what they said had nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I've had plenty of debates with people that have ended on friendly terms, but all the ones that haven't no one was rude beyond acceptability in them, yet people still got moderated.

I see a lot of people in these forums getting banned just because they don't want to suffer fools, most of them aren't even particularly rude about it.

Also.

and our arguments usually ended on us both finding some common ground, however small, that we can both agree on.
That happens once a blue moon on here. No matter how civil you remain.

People don't like admitting that they're even slightly wrong, not even if you were a veritable saint during the argument.

And personally, I think people have a right to get worked up when somebody says something that offends them, (but isn't counted as offensive by the mods.)

Things like being a Jerk and what offends you can be pretty personal. There isn't a one size fits all rule in there really.
I still disagree, but what with this coming to light:

Spinwhiz said:
UPDATE

I don't really think there's any need to continue?

Mind, if you'd like to continue this discussion, I'm more than happy to provide more arguments of my own.

EDIT: Also, a big thanks to Spinwhiz and the other moderators and staff who listened to what was a hell of a surprisingly large uproar over such a small thing... Thanks for putting up with the community once more. ^_^

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
HG131 said:
So, pissing on people because you don't like them and you think they're creepy. You're a gamer, right? Of course you are. You're acting exactly like Jack Thompson and Arnold Schwarzenegger. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotSoDifferent] Trying to ban something just because you don't like it.
We're not the government, we're a private company. If another site does not want conversations about games on their forums, they also have the same right, and if I were a poster there for some reason, I would respect that. I do post on other forums where they have a list of topics that are not appropriate, and I respect them. The government may or may not have that same right, but that's inapplicable here.

I don't know how I can make this more clear. If you really have a problem with the topics we don't allow on our site, we are encouraging you to go elsewhere. If you insist on talking about pedophilia, just leave. Change your profile description to say "I am leaving because the Escapist mods are a bunch of fascists and will not let me talk about pedophilia". Send an upset PM to all your friends letting them know how unfair we are and why you are leaving. Make an overly dramatic "I am quitting this site" thread and check it obsessively for new comments until it falls off the first page. Whatever you feel is necessary. But you don't need to threaten or promise to leave. It won't change our minds. We actually would prefer that you go if you have such a problem with this rule.

On the other hand, if you would like to discuss other things, and can refrain from the topics that are against our rules, we welcome you to stay. But if you really can't, then we'd rather you just leave.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
UPDATE

That addresses my issue. I doubt that issues with the rules themselves will be more than minor complaints.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Hm, one second just gonna post this then edit...

Edit: Ah it all seems interesting...I like coloured lines. And well I hope they don't think anything of my very early probation (I think it was probation) as I've changed since then. So I guess have no quarrels with this.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:

I still disagree, but what with this coming to light:

Spinwhiz said:
UPDATE

I don't really think there's any need to continue?

Mind, if you'd like to continue this discussion, I'm more than happy to provide more arguments of my own.
Yea, I saw it just after posting that too you, I even commented on it.

I'm perfectly happy with it. I certainly don't plan on getting moderated again so, seems good.

But there's also that leniency that says making one stupid mistake doesn't stay with you permanently. Because, unless you're a carebear, they're going to happen.

I'm more than happy to provide more arguments of my own.
What does that even mean?
Hmm? As in, if you wanted to continue this discussion, I'm prepared to offer my own rebuttals/arguments against what you said, but obviously only if you wanted to continue (which, while what we're debating about might be pointless at this time, I'm just letting you have the choice if you're one of those people who enjoy debate :p ).