Poll: New GW CEO

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
i voted yes but mostly because i hope that if i believe it enough it could somehow overwrite reality, although i might have to go sacrifice stuff to Tzeentch

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zipa said:
Laggyteabag said:
All I really care about is if this guy can stop giving licences to shovelware developers. I mean, there must've been a pretty large line of developers who were interested in working with the 40K universe, so why in the hell did they give it to the devs of Ride to Hell: Retribution of all people? AND WHY DO THEY KEEP ON MAKING iOS AND ANDROID GAMES?!

Sure we have that MMO game on the way, and that is cool and all, but then we also have that 40K chess game coming out, which was certainly a weird use of the licence, but the real question is, where is the Dawn of War 3 and the Space Marine 2? What the hell is Relic doing and why do they (presumably) not have the rights to make 40K games anymore? They did good before, let them carry on!
Relic were a THQ developer so the license likely went down with THQ. Sega who bought Relic would likely have to get a new license from GW.
Er, Sega does have a Warhammer license. Creative Assembly is making a Fantasy Battle total war game. And Relic apparently *is* working on another 40K game that hasn't been announced yet. I was listening to a podcast (can't remember which) where one of the dev team leaders mentioned that they were working on something 40K related. Probably not Spess Mahreen 2, but I'm really hoping for Dawn of War 3. Their early talks about ramping up the "Heroes vs Armies" unit composition sounded really cool. Lots of troops with one super powerful hero, or small numbers of troops that are individually stronger like the DOW2 singleplayer Marines?

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Zipa said:
Laggyteabag said:
All I really care about is if this guy can stop giving licences to shovelware developers. I mean, there must've been a pretty large line of developers who were interested in working with the 40K universe, so why in the hell did they give it to the devs of Ride to Hell: Retribution of all people? AND WHY DO THEY KEEP ON MAKING iOS AND ANDROID GAMES?!

Sure we have that MMO game on the way, and that is cool and all, but then we also have that 40K chess game coming out, which was certainly a weird use of the licence, but the real question is, where is the Dawn of War 3 and the Space Marine 2? What the hell is Relic doing and why do they (presumably) not have the rights to make 40K games anymore? They did good before, let them carry on!
Relic were a THQ developer so the license likely went down with THQ. Sega who bought Relic would likely have to get a new license from GW.
Er, Sega does have a Warhammer license. Creative Assembly is making a Fantasy Battle total war game. And Relic apparently *is* working on another 40K game that hasn't been announced yet. I was listening to a podcast (can't remember which) where one of the dev team leaders mentioned that they were working on something 40K related. Probably not Spess Mahreen 2, but I'm really hoping for Dawn of War 3. Their early talks about ramping up the "Heroes vs Armies" unit composition sounded really cool. Lots of troops with one super powerful hero, or small numbers of troops that are individually stronger like the DOW2 singleplayer Marines?
Oh cool I didn't know that. If its Relic working on it we can at least be reasonable that it won't be another shovelware game. If they do make a DOW III it will be interesting to see if they stick with the Blood Ravens again considering they have taken massive losses in the previous games.

I would be cool with Space Marine II as well, they nailed the aesthetics and feel with the first and even managed to put in a good story with it despite the game centred around a marine from the most boring chapter there is.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Mangod said:
*sigh* I am so glad I jumped ship to Infinity. At least it's playable without selling your children to the shoe factory.
I googled it, and now I gotta ask; are those models metal? Because I really like the look and backstory, but I know from experience that working with metal models is a exercise in frustration and pain (for me and my klutzy hands at least).

OT: ehhhh, I doubt much will change. Even on a good day mega corporations are not known for being good at understanding why people don't like them or how to fix it, and history suggests GW is run by monkeys. Besides that, they are fucked no matter what if 3d printing becomes affordable, as people who play for the game stop buying the official models and just use ugly knockoffs they can mass produce in the basement, while people like me who enjoy the building/visual element as much as or more than the actual gameplay are driven by edition after edition of moronic rule changes to switch over to Gunpla or some other kind of more affordable model without a game attached to it.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
major_chaos said:
Mangod said:
*sigh* I am so glad I jumped ship to Infinity. At least it's playable without selling your children to the shoe factory.
I googled it, and now I gotta ask; are those models metal? Because I really like the look and backstory, but I know from experience that working with metal models is a exercise in frustration and pain (for me and my klutzy hands at least).

OT: ehhhh, I doubt much will change. Even on a good day mega corporations are not known for being good at understanding why people don't like them or how to fix it, and history suggests GW is run by monkeys. Besides that, they are fucked no matter what if 3d printing becomes affordable, as people who play for the game stop buying the official models and just use ugly knockoffs they can mass produce in the basement, while people like me who enjoy the building/visual element as much as or more than the actual gameplay are driven by edition after edition of moronic rule changes to switch over to Gunpla or some other kind of more affordable model without a game attached to it.
Sadly (for you), Infinity does indeed use metal models. Really nice metal models, but metal none the less.

As for Games Workshop's problems, the company openly admits they don't even do market research*. Think about that for a second; it's almost sublime in its idiocy.

* http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2013-14-Press-statement-final-website.pdf

taylorton147

Feb 17, 2011
?Games Workshop has had a really good year.
If your measure of 'good' is the current financial year's numbers, you may not agree. But if your measure is
the long-term survivability of a great cash generating business that still has a lot of potential growth, then you
will agree.?

was the opening quote for the report Mangod posted and it clearly shows they are just trying to ignore all their problems

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
taylorton147 said:
?Games Workshop has had a really good year.
If your measure of 'good' is the current financial year's numbers, you may not agree. But if your measure is
the long-term survivability of a great cash generating business that still has a lot of potential growth, then you
will agree.?

was the opening quote for the report Mangod posted and it clearly shows they are just trying to ignore all their problems
?Games Workshop has had a really good year. If your measure of 'good' is making money, not losing it for no gain, you may not agree."

I've read that chairmans pre-amble at least a dozen times, and it never stops being a headscratching piece of drivel. If you're doing good, why is the company losing money? If you're doing good, why is the chairman leaving the company without a successor ready? If you're doing good, why is Games Workshop's fanbase shrinking as more and more people flock to competitive systems (WarmaHordes, Infinity, Malifaux, Kings of War/Warpath)?

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
The "new" CEO has been the company's COO for 8 years now. He's been dead center in the horrible decision making that's driven this company into the ground.

taylorton147

Feb 17, 2011
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Skaven-Warplock-Jezzails-Web-Bundle

these 9 cavalry sized models are £100. nevermind GW is doomed. im going to look else where for another hobby

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
taylorton147 said:

these 9 cavalry sized models are £100. nevermind GW is doomed. im going to look else where for another hobby
Aren't those the old Jezzail models?

Also, if you're looking for a different game to play, what are you interested in? GW style armies, or something smaller? For the former, I can recommend Warpath/Kings of War, which are both the budget versions of 40K/WHFB, respectively. If you want something smaller, then you can start with Warmachine/Hordes, and work your way down the size range from Infinity to Malifaux to MERCS.

captcha: Hello, Newman.

... my relationship with GW isn't that dissimilar from how Jerry and Newman felt about each other, actually.

taylorton147

Feb 17, 2011
Mangod said:
taylorton147 said:

Aren't those the old Jezzail models?

Also, if you're looking for a different game to play, what are you interested in? GW style armies, or something smaller? For the former, I can recommend Warpath/Kings of War, which are both the budget versions of 40K/WHFB, respectively. If you want something smaller, then you can start with Warmachine/Hordes, and work your way down the size range from Infinity to Malifaux to MERCS.

captcha: Hello, Newman.

... my relationship with GW isn't that dissimilar from how Jerry and Newman felt about each other, actually.
they are resin models so my first guess would be that they are remakes, as to your other question. I really just like the GW lore and the customizability for your armies in terms of painting and models.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
taylorton147 said:
they are resin models so my first guess would be that they are remakes,
Not just finecast versions of identical old metal models (only more expensive)?

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
I doubt the grim dark shit that comes out of BL will stop, or that the the codes fluff will stop being a costant one up of 'nah,this is the ultimate warrior!'

I am almost certain the prices will remain sickening.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
does no one GURPS now?
i remember, when friends got annoyed with GW (back in the late '80 i mean) they turned to the GURPS 'verse to do it their way instead.
there were so many different gurps versions of settings info (meaning they made unnofficial style books with rules for playing in particular universes from games, fiction movies ect) that you could literaly pick and choose how to customize your setting to your tastes.
im sure some of the sourcebooks could be worked together to give you all the things you loved about your GW games, and you could use the older material to make the backstory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GURPS_books there is a long list of books nearer the bottom, if you are interested

taylorton147

Feb 17, 2011
thaluikhain said:
taylorton147 said:
they are resin models so my first guess would be that they are remakes,
Not just finecast versions of identical old metal models (only more expensive)?
they could be? sorry I'm not too sure if they are or not. either way doesn't excuse the pricing though

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
taylorton147 said:
they could be? sorry I'm not too sure if they are or not. either way doesn't excuse the pricing though
Those are resin versions of the old jezzail teams that were released shortly after I started playing a scary number of years ago.

taylorton147

Feb 17, 2011
ForumSafari said:
taylorton147 said:
Those are resin versions of the old jezzail teams that were released shortly after I started playing a scary number of years ago.
why does this piss me off more?? I guess its because they are charging more for something that took up no time in the creative process in designing new models and thus should be cheaper :((

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I heard he was some sort of accountant. The solution to GW's problems isn't 'pinch more pennies', and that's what I assume an accountant will go for. It's understandable; he is what he is, if they hired a dentist (I assume from out of the country) his or her solution would probably be to fix everyone's teeth... but that doesn't change the fact that it's not the problem.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
taylorton147 said:
why does this piss me off more?? I guess its because they are charging more for something that took up no time in the creative process in designing new models and thus should be cheaper :((
I tend to agree, any cost to maintain and replace the moulds should be offset by the lack of creative resources needed. The worst thing is that Games Workshop resin is bad in a way I've never seen any other company's resin be bad, not only are GW minis more expensive than most other games but their quality control is shit.

Actual model designs are lovely though, which is all that's keeping them afloat.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Siege_TF said:
I heard he was some sort of accountant. The solution to GW's problems isn't 'pinch more pennies', and that's what I assume an accountant will go for.
That's not what accountants do, at least not to start with. If he's a good accountant his first move will be to gather a whole load of info and make sure he understands everything about the company's financial position.