Poll: New members a good or bad thing?

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
rottenbutter said:
As long as they aren't idiots and douchebags who can't spell properly (or can at least learn not to be) they're A-okay with me.
Same. I don't mind some new people as long as we don't start getting idiots signing up to post "OMG Yahtzee is teh masterz haxorz" or whatever.

NiceGurl_14

Aug 14, 2008
That could go either way,
On one hand with new people you have to deal with people doing and saying idiotic things before they know how things work here.

On the other hand, you get new opinions about topics.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
i dont mind new members, i havent been here that long myself XD
i just dont like the ones that have flame wars in the voting threads :(

edit:
traceur_ said:
Jonny The Kay said:
I can go both ways
like a bisexual.

cookie for reference
is that from Family Guy?

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Consistence said:
Shugaazer said:
If it weren't for us 'newbies,' the cranky ol'-farts with huge post counts would not be able to correct our spelling, and grammar, or scrutinize our facts/statements in a haughty, elitist manner.
hopefully one day we'll be just like them...
Why would you want to be?

Consistence

Feb 1, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
Consistence said:
Shugaazer said:
If it weren't for us 'newbies,' the cranky ol'-farts with huge post counts would not be able to correct our spelling, and grammar, or scrutinize our facts/statements in a haughty, elitist manner.
sarcasm must be "new" to these fourms

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Consistence said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Consistence said:
Shugaazer said:
No, I'm just not that bright.
To be fair, it's really hard to tell what's sarcasm and what isn't through text.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
Consistence said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Consistence said:
Shugaazer said:
No, I'm just not that bright.
To be fair, it's really hard to tell what's sarcasm and what isn't through text.
unless your a pygmy /sarcasm

or "/sarcasm" works just as well ^0^

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
New users are necessary. As others drop out the population needs replenishing. When new people blankly refuse to get to know the site and how it works before stepping into the community it becomes a problem. The reverse is true for experienced users as well. It's essential for the knowledge about what's acceptable, what's not, who's available for troubleshooting or just conversation be passed on. There's no point in clinging to the past and refusing to let new people in on old information and then expecting them to work with the more subtle guidelines.

There are awesome new people. There are awesome older people. There are also dickheads in any 'generation' of users on this forum.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Of course we still need new users - they only serve to improve the scope of the community as a whole and with new members comes new discussion topics. If it was only the same people over and over then the conversation would quickly grow stagnant, and no-one wants that.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
New members are good.
People of a certain developers fan base who join simply to vote in a poll once a year and not even look at any of the other content on the Escapist, are horrible. *cough*

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Of course we still need new users - they only serve to improve the scope of the community as a whole and with new members comes new discussion topics. If it was only the same people over and over then the conversation would quickly grow stagnant, and no-one wants that.
Yes, we need new people. They make me look smart and witty.

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I think they're good but I want to point out a problem with the question. Are new members a good or bad thing? All the answers refer to it as though you only mention one of the 2 adjectives (good/bad) when they're both encorperating the question.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
They are fine, as long as they follow the rules.
I am not digging all these new threads popping up about the worst topics.

jockslap

May 20, 2008
cant wait till ive gone gonzo so i can pick on the little peasant noobs below me (/sarcasm)

goater24

Feb 5, 2008
I encourage new members to the forums. But don't want to see repeat threads about ninjas and piates. Nor do I want to see a post on why we hate? (insert country hear) Or whats your favourite game? posts. That aside I have met some very nice, very informed individuals on these forums and I'm sure that amongst the glut of Turbine fans there will be some that stay and that are mint!

EDIT: Mint = Mancunian for awesome!

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
If your forum stops getting new members, it stops evolving, and then stagnates and dies.

Trust me - two forums I belonged to had this happen. The first chased off new people after a few years. The second wasn't popular enough and after a year or two, no one new showed up.

Both died from inactivity after a year.