Poll: New TF2 server plugin kicks F2P players

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
This is so petty, it's beyond words.
Far too many people are obsessed with their own imagined superiority.
I was thinking of honestly giving Team Fortress a go, I don't normally care for online multiplayer, but I don't think I'll bother if this is how the community acts.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
TornadoFive said:
This really annoys me! I've been interested in TF2 for a while now. I'm not into FPS's in general, or PC gaming as a whole, for that matter. But TF2 looked different. Team-play, class-based, different graphical style than brown grit. I was still skeptical about FPS's, so I didn't want to splash out the money for it.

Then it went FTP, and there was no excuse for me not to get it. But everyone was new to the game at some point. It's a general ettiquette rule that if you're an experienced player, you give a bit of help to someone new at a game. I know, I know, most people don't go by this, but still! This kind of thing really makes me angry!
I recommend finding a good noob friendly server *coughUntamedGamingcough* with respawn times and only valve-official maps, at least to get started on. I also recommend reading the official wiki and making sure to go through the advanced options. Some settings like 'make a sound when damage is dealt' and 'display damage as a number over the target' I cannot live without. It makes the game a whole lot easier if you can tell whether your shotgun hits a guy for 9 or 90. But I digress. TF2 is like no other FPS, and I feel the same way about the whole scene. If you can get the hang of the maps and classes you will have more fun with it than any other multiplayer game. I can see how it might be daunting trying to get into it now with learning all the weapons at once and dealing with more experienced players, but it is not that hard to get to a point you can feel comfortable with your performance.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
febel said:
I approve of the plugin. Lately I've found the free to players insufferable. Doing incredibly stupid stuff, constantly going afk, asking to trade on non-trade servers, disgusting sprays (though I guess that's a staple online) mic spamming and just generally being a nuiscance.
You mean how TF2 has always been like even before F2P?

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
thatstheguy said:
febel said:
I approve of the plugin. Lately I've found the free to players insufferable. Doing incredibly stupid stuff, constantly going afk, asking to trade on non-trade servers, disgusting sprays (though I guess that's a staple online) mic spamming and just generally being a nuiscance.
Word. There does seem to be a little bit more of that stuff, but by and large it's always been a nuisance.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Maraveno said:
and here we find you are a liar

F2P players : cannot trade

Get your head out of your ass and admit that what you're saying makes no sense whatsoever

You're just playing hate on people and painting them in a coat that's not even their's
Well not entirely. They can be traded to, though. And some free new players do beg for free items.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Podunk said:
thatstheguy said:
febel said:
Word. There does seem to be a little bit more of that stuff, but by and large it's always been a nuisance.
Shiny new F2P players with just enough interest in the game to consider getting it for 0.00 know how to insert sprays into the game?

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Better idea: Servers that give paid players priority seating.

Even Better Idea: Mark the servers as Paid servers and watch any noobs who join get their asses handed to them.

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
How about they give you an option to boot people who "paid to play" from servers as well.

I've only joined one server where people were being assholes about ohter players getting the game for free, and I toped the scores by the end of that game with only a few matches of TF2 under my free-to-play-belt (usually I'm not brilliant though). These people have cry-fits more than those kids in Halo 3 did back in the day.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Snarf snarf snarf, let's do something to keep the dirty, poor, free players out.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
TiefBlau said:
Even Better Idea: Mark the servers as Paid servers and watch any noobs who join get their asses handed to them.
That wouldn't really work- 50% of the server(whichever team the new player is on) would definitely not appreciate that.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
If they don't want annoying players, just kick.

It's not as if F2Players are any different from other players.

That's just snobbery, and it ain't true to the spirit of TF2.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
RADlTZ said:
How about they give you an option to boot people who "paid to play" from servers as well.
I appreciate the fairness of that, but it seems unlikely a free player would want to go through with the huge hassle and expense of running a server.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
qwerty19411 said:
For it, simply because it's the server owner's choice on what he wants to do with it.
This. This a thousand times.

Although the below would be better.

TiefBlau said:
Better idea: Servers that give paid players priority seating.
It's not that I dislike F2P. It's that I dislike having a small server that's chock full of regulars be ground down into F2P hell.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Honestly,I would never use it but it's alright to me if others choose to use it mainly because they bought the game and don't want griefers,hackers,etc. in their game. They should be allowed to play with whoever they want.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
Flutterguy said:
I don't like the idea, TF2 was not designed to be a truly competitive game. IMO the F2P is what will keep the game alive for much longer then it would have otherwise. I am sorry I am fairly new to the game. Was it ever a competitive title? I am sure there was a few pockets who took it as such.

has F2P really ruined this game at all? I know there will be alot of people who play poorly over the next few weeks as there will be more new players, but do these TF2 veterans not understand the game has a learning curve we will reach eventually?
Listen to the Kaka kitten, she speaks the truth. (<3 Blazblue)

OT: I'm sorry but fuck this plug-in. Why kick all f2p players rather than have the admins filter out the good ones from the bad ones?

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I'm fine with the idea. For one it keeps the game competitive for people who want to be competitive, and secondly it allows the groups of assholes to play together without bothering anyone else so that all the hate and rage against F2P players is concentrated on just a few servers instead of having a little of it everywhere.
That assumes two rather hilariously unlikely things:

1) All TF2 players who bought the game are super-good at it. Yeah. Riiiiight.

2) All TF2 players who use the F2P version have A) never played the game before B) terrible at it and C) monstrous assholes.

Care to justify either of those?

Dirty Hipsters said:
Honestly though, are their any F2P players who would actually want to play on the servers that use this plug-in? I don't think so, so the plug-in really doesn't hurt anyone.
So obviously because "their kind isn't wanted around there," they'd have no desire to play there? Man, you're a master of iron-clad logic.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I really dont understand all this free-player hate. I bought TF2 ages ago when it was full price and dont give a monkeys if other players get to play it for free - its been a long time since I paid for it and its not like I just paid £30 or something for TF2 and its suddenly free.

The more the merrier I say!