Poll: Ninja or Samurai

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Ninja's are assassins, less of this honour crap and more cold blooded killing :p

Assuming I'm correct in my assumptions about both ninjas and samurai

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'll take Ninja.

Purely on the basis that all that honour crap the Samurai prattled on about sometimes ended up in them ramming one of their own swords into their gut.

Not for me thanks pal.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Jedoro said:
Scrustle said:
Four words. Jack, Afro, Musashi, Susanoo.

Samurai FTW.
What about Champloo?

OT: Ninja. If you're in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong.
It did occur to me, but I've only ever seen a few episodes of the show, so I don't really know the characters.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure the Samurai were largely just thugs - the same with knights in any country. I'm going with Ninjas.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Well the winner of any fight is just down to the various elements in question and how they add up. If it was a straight up fight I would say generally the samurai would win they were better equipped and better trained. Ninjas of course wouldnt fight straight up unless forced probably because they knew they would most likely lose but in an indirect confrontation they would have the edge not being governed by any code except one of secrecy.

Im sure some samurai did partake in ninja activities at times though so ill go with samurai plus ive seen rurouni Kenshin (which is of course entirely true and accurate) I know how badass samurai can be.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Never really was big the whole restrictive code of honor defining your life thing.

Ninja it is.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I love the way some people have gone for the 400 word dissertation, instead of typing Ninja.

Silly billies.

Cos poisoning someone while they sleep is a valid tactic, there is no real defense beyond honor and restraint. And those are qualities of dead people.

Edit: Are Samurai-Ninja's an option? Ninja's with samurai training? Cos I'll take them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I might be wrong here, but samurai were warriors right? So there are armies of samurai. I think this fight would depends solely on the conditions they were fighting in. One on one and a ninja would kill the samurai and he wouldn't know it. However take ninjas out of their preferred environment and they lose their edge and probably have more problems. In that case I don't know who would win. However rating them on skills in their environment I would go with ninja.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I'm a woman, so I could never be a samurai. But I could be a ninja.

So ninja every time. Equal opportunities murder!

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Yopaz said:
I might be wrong here, but samurai were warriors right? So there are armies of samurai.
They were mainly warlords. So they led armies. Which is also a problem for a ninja.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I love the spy warrior aspect of the ninja. I still think Samurai are cool but Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (new ones) made me understand how badass it is to be a Ninja.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Scarim Coral said:
Samurai seeing how they wear armours and ninja weapons would not be effective like throwing stars which will lead to the battle of blades. In that battle of blades I believe (in my view) samurai would win due to their training.

Also-
Even when using the element of suprise (especially when they're off guard) and the night, they still got the upper hand (but in saying so they had the home advantage and it was a handful of ninjas vs a village full of samurai).
Damn it, I was going to link that video.

OT: Samurai, all the way.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
MetalMagpie said:
Yopaz said:
I might be wrong here, but samurai were warriors right? So there are armies of samurai.
They were mainly warlords. So they led armies. Which is also a problem for a ninja.
Well in that case I stand by my idea that a ninja would win against a single samurai, but ninjas aren't really the warrior kind so they could probably be wiped out if the samurai was in his right element.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
I like the fictional depiction of ninjas better than samurais. From a fictional stand point ninjas are these stealthy, uberskilled assassins with, like, throwing stars and nunchucks and they're all like 'HYAAAA!' dead!!! From a historical perspective it seems like it's a choice between honorless assassins and over-privileged aristocrats who oppress the people against their will. In which case they're both just awful.