Poll: "Nintendo Considering Renaming Wii U" Good Idea or not?

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
Story, if you've not seen it already

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/121/1217316p1.html

What do you think, do you like the name or not? Or is the Wii's branding power too important?

Personally, I don't like it very much. To me, it doesn't really scream 'powerful new gaming platform', sounds more like the name of another cheap Wii peripheral. Sorta reminds me of the Nintendo Dolphin :p

Swimfan

Dec 17, 2011
To be honest the Wii U is the most lame idea they've ever had. Just look at when they've announced it - the audience reaction just has been that obvious (merely dead silence).

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well I don't care. But anything is better than Wii U. If they called it "shit box for retards" it would be a more compelling and less insulting name.

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
aye really don't like it, seems they're doing a rubbish job of appealing to the more harcore gamer

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
From a business perspective I think it would be silly for them to drop the "Wii" bit. It's easy to forget, cooped up as we are in the echo-chamber that is any 'hardcore' gaming forum, that the Wii sold like crazy and a lot of those sales were to people well outside the traditional sphere of gaming. That is to say, to people who may not realise what a Wii-U is unless the word "Wii" is on there somewhere.

I suppose the "U" is entirely negotiable though. At least getting rid of it would preempt a few lame "Wii-on-U" jokes.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I think it should be renamed. Not because it's confusing or the name sounds silly, it just seems lazy to me. All they did is put an extra letter on the end of Wii! To me that looks so unimaginative and sloppy. It should have a unique name to itself.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I like where they are going with this, I think the console after the Wii U will be called the "Wii U Us" ... Can't you just sense it?

Names don't really matter, sure calling it something badass isn't a bad thing but calling it the "attention grabber 5000" wont reduce sales. The stuff that is in it is what will draw a lot of gamers to it, casual gamers will get it 'cos they loved the Wii.

BoogityBoogityMan

Jan 26, 2012
Zhukov said:
From a business perspective I think it would be silly for them to drop the "Wii" bit. It's easy to forget, cooped up as we are in the echo-chamber that is any 'hardcore' gaming forum, that the Wii sold like crazy and a lot of those sales were to people well outside the traditional sphere of gaming. That is to say, to people who may not realise what a Wii-U is unless the word "Wii" is on there somewhere.

I suppose the "U" is entirely negotiable though. At least getting rid of it would preempt a few lame "Wii-on-U" jokes.
It's just that a non-gamer will see it and think it's a peripheral or just a slightly different Wii. And if they already own a Wii, why would they buy another?

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Definite rename. Wii U sounds so dumb. Like they made a product that's trying to sell learning and intelligence...

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
It either sounds like a fire engine (WEE--OOOO---WEE--OOOO) or some sort of euphemism for peeing. So yes, I think renaming the Wii-U is a fantastic idea.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Scrustle said:
I think it should be renamed. Not because it's confusing or the name sounds silly, it just seems lazy to me. All they did is put an extra letter on the end of Wii! To me that looks so unimaginative and sloppy. It should have a unique name to itself.
Playstation 2,Playstation 3,Xbox 360...yup Nintendo are the lazy ones alright;)

Seriously though just like Sony and Microsoft did I can understand them wanting to keep the Wii name as it's a worldwide recognised brand now but maybe just call it "Wii 2" or something

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
I never cared about the Wii, and the Wii U looks like the dumbest idea for a console since the Virtual Boy? honestly, renaming it might be a good idea, but I still think the design is fundamentally flawed.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Rename it.....

Personally I'd name it the Tabplay or the Tell. Go with simple names you know? Possibly even the Wizard......

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MetalDooley said:
Seriously though just like Sony and Microsoft did I can understand them wanting to keep the Wii name as it's a worldwide recognised brand now but maybe just call it "Wii 2" or something
Wii infinity.

It's just that much bigger than the competition!

Warning: Nintendo Wii Infinity may not be bigger than the competition.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
It sounds like a Yorkshire-man trying to say 'with you'.

'By 'eck ah was Wii U t'entire time!' So yes change it.

[sub]BTW I'm from Yorkshire myself ¬_¬[/sub]

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Hazy992 said:
It sounds like a Yorkshire-man trying to say 'with you'.

'By 'eck ah was Wii U t'entire time!' So yes change it.

[sub]BTW I'm from Yorkshire myself ¬_¬[/sub]
That's awesome!

Do something for the Vita now. U_U

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing it renamed. However it would put an end to all the joked about it and even though most of them are pretty bad, some are fun. All in all though I would like to see it renamed, but I don't care that much. If I like it then the name wont change that.