Poll: "Nintendo Considering Renaming Wii U" Good Idea or not?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I think , nintendo should hold a contest for fans to name the new wii . That way they get publicity and the consumers get a semi-proper name for their new console . Dammit why don't the hire me for PR, i got better ideas than they do!

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
Wait, What?

The WII-U is a standalone console?

I thought it was just some kind of add-on like the Nintendo balance board or the Wii motion plus.

JimJamJahar

Dec 18, 2009
It sounds like a siren. Wii U, Wii U, Wii U...

And I've always said that they missed an opportunity by calling it that. The first one was called the Wii - how do you not realise how hilarious it would be to call the second one the Number Two?

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Ok gonna cherrypick a bit here

Monoochrom said:
Nintendo is the brand. Nintendo is recognized. Wii? I don't know about that. Sounds like too big a gamble that it will generally be mistaken for a redesign to just keep with the flow.
Yes Nintendo is a recognised brand but so is Wii.There's plenty of people out there who have heard of the Wii but probably couldn't tell you who or what Nintendo are

The Wii isn't for me, but it was undeniably a huge success, mostly because they tried something new instead of just repeating that formula. Now however they are trying to go with a new formula,
I assume you mean "are not trying" here.I don't know I reckon trying to introduce a tablet controller that streams content from the console is something new

they want to formulize the Wii.
Just like Sony and Microsoft have done with Playstation and Xbox.Why is that not considered a bad thing?

I just don't see that working and with some of the other strange decisions they made, such as the 3DS, I hope they fail in this endeavor so that they wake up again.
Why is trying to build on the success of successful products strange?Pretty sure that's what most companies do

They are counting on the casual crowd going out and buying another console...which is a gamble at best.
All the talk since E3 has been about them trying to entice back the "hardcore"(god I hate the terms hardcore and casual)market.I think Nintendo have realised that the casual crowd is fickle at best and can't be relied on

They've alienated much of the actual gaming community,
Would this be the same community who didn't buy the N64 or Gamecube forcing Nintendo to go after the non-gaming crowd in the first place?How exactly can you alienate people who apparently had no interest in your products to begin with

I don't see them supporting it either, especially since the common reaction to the Wii U could be summed up with ''Meh''.
I don't know.I've seen a lot of positive buzz about Wii U.Not just on this site

Essentially, all they have going for themselves for sure are their loyal fans, to which I assume you belong.
Yes I would call myself a Nintendo fan but I am also a fan of gaming in general.I also own a 360 and have owned Sony consoles in the past

(although I wouldn't mind them going the way of Sega so that some of their good Franchises go Multiplattform)
Well as a non PS3 owner I wouldn't mind Sony doing a Sega so their first party exclusives could go multiplatform;)

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Well it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo changed the name of one of its upcoming consoles (the Nintendo Wii was going to be named the Nintendo Revolution, also a fitting name). I'm not sure if the purpose this time is to make it more marketable, possibly the reason for the Wii's name, or because it will incorporate different features that will make it's comparison to the Wii almost nonexistent.

On another seemingly non-related note, releasing 'new' Wiis that lack backwards capabilities?

D*** move, Nintendo. D*** move.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yes. And I have it under good authority (ie: my own) that they are considering the name change because I said they should [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.298191.11822938] on these very forums.

This thread has now become the "Thank Dusty Thread!"

You're welcome!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
the actual name "Wii" was a bad idea. So yes, how about.....Nintendo Revolution?
Wasn't that the original concept name for the Wii? Which sounded 1,000 times better than the name they went with. I wasn't chomping at the bit to get the new Nintendo system, but the name Wii didn't help. Sounds like something a child says when they need to go to the bathroom. "I'm gonna take a Wii." That's what I always thought, anyway.

In case someone can't tell, I think they should rename the system.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Wii U has to be changed if they want gamers who enjoyed previous consoles they made but disliked Wii to buy it. Thanks to all the ads the Wii for me someone that only played with it a few months before getting bored was a family gaming console. Though I'm sure Nintendo could pump enough into marketing to get rid of stigma of Wii part of name.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
the actual name "Wii" was a bad idea. So yes, how about.....Nintendo Revolution?
Oh, for fucks sake! This! It was so stupid when they changed the name from Revolution to Wii. Rather than one of the coolest console names ever they went with the dumbest! I vote for naming it Revolution.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Good idea, but it's still going to be shit, so i don't even know why bother with it anyways.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I think changing it would be a good idea Wii has always been and always will be a stupid name but thats largely irrelevant the Wii name has distanced itself from traditional gamers and Wii U does not sound like a new console to casual people.

In short I think Nintendo needs to appeal more to the traditional gamer again hoping to entice casual gamers again is pushing your luck a bit especially as these gamers are almost certainly content playing the same couple of games once every few months on their Wii anyway.

As for brand recognition Nintendo is extremely strong I have not come across someone in the developed world who hasnt heard of them it would be easy and wise for them to pursue a new name to at least entertain the fact they are pursuing innovation which may help their appeal its not like the Playstation and Xbox brand where everyone just wants the same but more each time (This is reversed in the software though).

Portal Operater

Jun 13, 2011
The Wii U isn't that great a name. To me it sounds pretty stupid because of the wording. I guess over time I would get use to it, like wii. Although they should change it to make it less confusing. Plenty of people thought the 3DS was just another upgraded version of the DS.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
They should keep the Wii part of it in it cause thats just name association and will do more with sales.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
In the end, I don't care either way. As long as the games are good, I'll probably pick the system up eventually, when I get some money. Sadly, it might take a while.

Feb 26, 2011
DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN, YES! >.<

What were they THINKING when they called it the Wii? I liked it's CODENAME better! It's name is just ANOTHER reason nobody takes the Wii seriously