Poll: No-kids-allowed movement. Yay or nay?

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I'm in the camp that if the kid starts misbehaving and bothering other paying customers too much without parents doing anything, then they should be kicked out of the place. But until that point, an outright ban in places that really have no other reason to keep kids out is pure discrimination. Obviously, kids shouldn't be in places like bars or PG-13/R-rated movies, but in other places, yeah... discriminatory.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
RoyalSorceress said:
Beautiful End said:
Same thing with the movies: I was having fun watching Pirates, immersed in the movie and having some popcorn when a kid started crying. He cried and cried and cried and the mother finally got the hint and...patted the kid on the back. Surprisingly enough, that didn't work! She didn't step out or anything, no. God forbid she misses 5 minutes off the movie for bringing her kid to a movie that they wouldn't enjoy/understand/care for.
You think that's bad? I've heard stories of parents bringing their little kids to midnight horror movies and not stepping out when the kids get scared.

Anyway I agree with you, there should be places kid are restricted, like restaurants.
On an slightly unrelated note, I must admit my parents did that to me: We went to see Final Destination 1 when I was still fairly young. Yeah, it scared me. No, I didn't cry because I knew my parents would either A) Shush me or B) Not care.

Anyway, I do wonder how a kid can sneak in to a horror movie at midnight. You'd think whoever sells the tickets would ask for an ID...but then again, a guy can buy 4 tickets by himself, not questions asked...*Rambles on*

OT: It annoyed me the most when I used to go to church and you'd have these kids crying all over the place. And then you're sitting in the back trying to pay attention and some mom is just patting their kid in the back, no caring about the rest of the people.
I'd go on but I'm afraid of touching the religion topic.*

*Own rule: Do not discuss religion or politics with others. Ever.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Is it wrong that I hate children?
Those noisy little people...
I don't care that I was one,the point is that I'm not now.

In case you didn't guess,yes I think this rule is a good thing for it keeps the noise to a minimum in places I just want to relax in.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Anyone who is even remotely good at parenting is able to make a child stop acting the fool or comfort a distressed child. I think if your kid is misbehaving somewhere you should legally be allowed to physically punish that child.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
Children are loud, annoying, and ugly. They're like an exaggeration of humanity's most unpleasant qualities.

Very much in favour of the movement.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
There are some places kids shouldn't be brought, even if they can behave, that already exist. Bars jump to mind.

There are some places where kids are king - and some places in the middle. Seems to me that's how it should be, and if the middle wants to get a little more narrow, I think we can afford that given all our options of places to go and things to do.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Not EVERYWHERE has to be a no kid zone. But expensive, adult places absolutely should be. Any place I go to avoid poor or uneducated people should also be free of screaming children, as they are by definition both.
Beautiful End said:
Olive Garden ; Pirates
Here's where you go off your rocker a bit. A family restaurant and a Disney movie are not places to ban children. Complain when you go for your five star dinner at Del Posto

The Olive garden it is not.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
No to infinity and beyond. Grow a thicker skin. I deal with annoying kids on a daily basis. Hell it is a lot more expensive for me when a kid knocks over $80 worth of blue berries or keeps screaming at the top of his lungs when his mother is try to ask me where a particular item is. At the movies, the movie is the distraction. At the restaurant, the crying part adds atmosphere, the hair pulling, you get the restaurant manager.

Everybody here voting Yay obviously cannot remember being a child and the already seamingly suffocating restrictions already placed upon them, multiple times moreso than 60 years ago. A person like me who had above average intelegence, independence, and maturity for my age as a child felt life to be excruciating.

EDIT: Misspelling Intelligence? WOw.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
Matt Dellar said:
Young kids shouldn't be going to certain movies, anyway.

Currently seventeen, I would oppose this law with everything I have. I'd hate to be barred from certain places because I wasn't born a few months earlier. I agree that screaming babies and young kids are annoying, but there are actually some well-mannered kids out there and I would hate for them to suffer for the irresponsible actions of their peers.

Y'know, just like the rest of the world.

I don't see much sense in banning ALL kids from being in a certain place. That's like saying black people can't enter bars because they have a higher chance of starting fights. It's racist in that case, and if this were applied to kids, it'd be stereotyping. How about we do to kids what we do to adults: kick them out if they become an annoyance to others.

Yes, parents need to toughen up. If they're not prepared to punish a child for wrongdoing, they shouldn't be parents in the first place.
This. Just wanna add one thing: I'm all for kicking the annoying kids & their parents out of wherever, but why would anyone want to resort to a system that belongs in an era of racism and discrimination? Seriously, I've met a 9-year-old who was more mature than most of my fellow high school sophomores. Kick the annoying sophomores out, let the mature 9-year-olds stay. Judge people by their actions, not their appearance.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
But then how will I pick up chicks?

Edit: The above is a joke. Please do not arrest me, Chris Hansen. I can't go back to jail.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
loc978 said:
Personally, I'm for a different sort of legislation. If someone brings a loud kid in, boot 'em. So long as the kid behaves, they're welcome in my book... but too many people don't raise their kids anymore, they just give their kids whatever they want in early development, teaching the kid that tantrums get them their desired results.
I say boot failed parents and their squalling brats to the curb, let 'em take their noise pollution on home... but banning all kids isn't the answer.
I whole heartedly agree with your statement. Additionally if you do not put a child in scenarios where they need to learn to develop maturity and self restraint (assuming they have a responsible parent(s)), where will they get it? They do not simply pull it out of their ass when they turn 20. A kid needs to learn and the parents need to learn as well when their childs behaviour is their own fault.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
I believe that as long as the child is behaving themselves, then they should be welcomed. This was the rule we had at the restaurant that I worked at for five years, and it worked well. Basically, if the child began acting up the parents were expected to take the child outside until they calmed down, then they could return. In no way were they allowed to sit there screaming their lungs out while their parents pretended it wasn't happening.

It worked out for everyone, really.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
I realize that people are bothered, but as much as an issue as it is its something businesses shouldn't be able to regulate. If there's an annoying child, ask the parent to leave; do things on an individual basis, don't punish parents of well-behaved children or decent families that care enough to want to spend time with their children.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
I view children in the same way I view smoking. You can go ahead and do it, by all means that is your choice, but keep it away from me. I shouldn't have to pay for your choices.

On a side note, my mother would kick my little ass if I acted up in public. So, I knew if I acted up pain would be coming. So... I didn't act up. But we're not allowed to hit our children anymore. If I knew my mother couldn't hit me, I would have been a little terror.

I shall quote Bender here "And so I ask you this one question. Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?"

No one WANTS to be parents anymore. They want to live their own lives and be their kids' friends, not their mother and father. Yet they still have children because of either stupidity, lack of self control, or social pressure. Social pressure. Seriously. Have you ever told a parent that you yourself never want children? They start treating you like you are a child who doesn't know what's best for you or a monster. I'm sorry, but every time your child throws a tantrum I want to throw it out a window. No amount of chiding and cooing over how I don't understand is going to change the fact that I HATE children.

And now comes a random parent to admonish me for my views and how THEIR child has brought so much joy and love to their lives. If I want joy and love in my life, I buy a puppy. Same damn thing.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Of course, if they wanted to go out to a restaurant it doesn't need to be the ones geared more toward adults. Applebees? Sure bring them there but seriously there's been places I've been too where I'm just stumped why they're allowed there when all they're doing is screaming and crying.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yes and no.

In some places, like movie theaters, certain resturants and grocery stores, yes. Because those are instances when there is no logical reason to tour your kid around and invariably it will make even the parents experience less enjoyable or productive.

However things like Planes, Hotels, etc absolutely not. Its simply not practical because there ARE perfectly good reasons for kids to be in hotels, airplanes, and other accommodations.

However... I am more in favor of putting the absolute fear of god into a child so that their behavior out in public is not a nuisance to the general public. Sort of the way I was raised and the way I raise children, because the problem isnt the kids, its the parents inability to keep their kids under control plain and simple.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
I've never had a problem with kids in public areas. Aside from the once-in-a-blue-moon theater crying scene.

MoeTheMonk

Apr 26, 2010
I can definitely support a no kids policy when it comes to places like movie theaters, airplane's first-class sections, and fancier restaurants. However, I think things like grocery stores and big-box stores are bit a much, especially since most are big places where you can move away from it or finish your business quickly, as opposed to other locations where you couldn't.

Though I think the biggest problem today is parents and discipline. You know what would stop a tantrum being thrown by that brat over there? A spanking. Or a slap on the head. But no, that's pretty much child abuse nowadays. I'd be scared to do anything like that to my kid in public these days, for fear of some overly-concerned bystander calling the police because I'm abusing a child.