Poll: No sir, this is my normal face.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
anthony87 said:
I know that feel. I seem to just have a natural scowl of sorts so new people I meet tend to think I'm pissed off about something or other.

First ever job I had I'd always get shit off one of my superiors for looking so "angry". Her exact words were "I don't give a fuck if you're miseralbe deep down, look happy for the customers".

Good times I tells ya ^_^
I'm a large guy (6 foot, reasonably wide), and I wear a leather trenchcoat in winter. I've had jobs where people have, once they got to know me, told me that they literally thought I was going to be the first one to come in with a shotgun and shoot up the place.

Edit: This is the same job where my team would put teddy bears in leather coats on my desk.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
I cant move large parts of the left side of my face.
Its quite funny actually, girls believe im winking all the time, and dudes believe i want to get punch in the face.
And my dreamy face looks like an actual dreamy face, so everyone at Highschool thought i was a drug addict, and i only discovered that in the last semester, so yeah, actual dreamy faces are no good.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this seems kinda interesting

and no, I generally smile when people get my attention....or I avoid eye contact which could be considered a similar thing

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
The way people interpret my face tends to change depending on how they're treating me. People I'm interacting with in a normal way usually see my face as neutral, if ever so slightly glum; people who know that they're being confrontational, or think they're saying something that might offend me (which it probably won't, as I'm incredibly difficult to offend), seem to interpret my resting expression as that of one not to be fucked with. Keep in mind, these different interpretations aren't actually a result of any changes on my part. I guess it's because I tend to maintain eye contact for the sake of courtesy, and those who are being confrontational assume that I'm returning the sentiment. It also doesn't help that my eyes are a rather icy color.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Slightly asymmetrical lips and light photophobia (which makes me squint/frown pretty much all the time) gives me a contemptuous and angry look. Major resting bitchface syndrome here.

I actually scared off a buddy when he came out of his room in the morning and apparently I gave him a look that could curdle milk. He slammed the door shut and later told me he thought I was going to kick his ass.

Totally neutral face.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I don't have resting ***** face and tend to have a neutral expression. However, because I work with computer simulations I have developed it's horrible cousin, 'involuntarily swearing under breath even when nothing is particularly wrong'. Office buddies have got used to it but sometimes new people ask what's wrong and I'll be like "Nothing, it's all fine" and they'll say "Really? Because you just called the computer a fucking piece of cock bullshit". I think it might develop into a resting ***** face, which wouldn't be a bad thing but I'd prefer if it didn't.

Vancleef

Jul 6, 2010
Oh yes. The picture Padwolf linked is very similar to how my "neutral" face tends to look.
No one really comments much on it, though. Exept maybe my mother with the usual "you should smile more".

giles

Feb 1, 2009
I have a habit of walking with my head slightly down (a relic of mopey teenage years), kinda got this angry look if you do that.
Trying hard to fix my posture, though.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
same here.
My neutral fface and "I am thinking at the moment face" are not all happyhappyjoyjoy so many ask me why I'm sad or mad and I get all confused :p
Well, I am used to it by now :D

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I used to look angry all the time, because I was. No, not for any particular reason, just because I was angsty and a teenager.

Today though I've taken on a much more "don't care" look. My eyes seem to be half closed, my expression totally void of any real emotion except "Gee, I really wish I was at home right now."

All the time at work, I get "Wow, don't look so happy now." or I, no lie, have people willing to complain to my manager because despite my best efforts to help anyone in the store and offer my services to anyone, they feel like I'm being disrespectful for not carrying around a fake, cheesy smile just for them. It's rare it happens, but it has.

Honestly, fake smiling makes me sick to my stomach. Fake of any emotion does really. It's honestly not because I hate the people in the store, though there are plenty I do (my more obnoxious regulars), I never really make it known.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure about "pissed," but definitely "not happy." It's annoying, because I'm basically in the position where I fake smiling all the time or people bug me.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I seem to alternate between angry, "in pain" and sadness whenever I focus on work or just sit and think.

When reading the thread name my first thought was this:

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
I apparently look really sad when I'm sat minding my own business. People always come over and ask if I'm alright and I'm normally really confused.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Not only does my resting face frequently get me "you alright?" or "whats wrong?" from friends and family, I also have a bad habit where if I'm doing something or lost in though and someone tries to get my attention I almost always respond with a fairly loud sharp "yes?" which normally makes people think I'm mad at the intrusion when I'm really just trying to hide how bad they startled me. Reaaaaaallly awkward when that person happens to be the pastor at my church, or worse, my boss at work.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Don't have that problem with my face, but I've been told I have a naturally sarcastic sounding voice. Even when I'm being sincere or trying to sound friendly, I'll sometimes get weird looks when striking up a conversation with strangers or answering questions. I didn't even know I came across like that until I asked a group of my friends and family point blank some time after I graduated high school. Now I have to pay extra attention whenever I talk to people so as not to accidentally offend them, makes making small talk a grueling experience to say the least.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I have more of a "stoned resting face", not a blank stare, but kinda half sleepy & not really caring about anything face.

I do get that very annoyed look when I am doing something & get interrupted, but that's because I was busy & got interrupted. So rude.

I've also been told that I am intimidating by several people, but I don't see it at all.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Hah, I get this an awful lot and whenever people ask me if I'm upset/angry/pissed off I just reply that I was thinking.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
thaluikhain said:
One wonders what kind of person would tell a total stranger to smile.
Someone who thinks they're doing a nice thing, maybe trying to brighten someone's day a bit? It's something done in ignorance, but there is a good chance the intention was pure.

My normal face I guess is a smile, everyone at work says I always am. So I usually get the opposite "Why are you so happy?"