Poll: Okay, Angry Birds has become WAY too popular

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
It hit a sweet spot and a ton of people like it. I fail to see what the issue is and, quite honestly, I`d rather Angry Birds be as popular as it as instead of something by, say, Zynga.
Better Rovio than Zynga anyday. Mark Pincus is a jerk.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
"Mainstream things are mainstream for a reason. Because they're good. Or because they have Will Smith in it."
And I don't see any Will Smith in Angry Birds.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I see its popularity as being its downfall. App games seem to be extremely prone to fads. Remember Bobble Wrap? Pocket God? Demigod? Words With Friends? Draw Something?
It seems like people have started to move on.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
its okay for game to be hugely popular,angry birds have done something right.its fast and your knocking things down and scoring points...perfect casual game.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. Why is it even a bad thing to be "too" popular?

It's fun and people like it. And the Angry Birds gummy candy is delicious.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wat?

How can something be "too popular"?

Cars are wanted by nearly everyone and driven universally, I think they're too popular... That doesn't seem to work.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I can see why it's popular, hell I play it (only when I'm on the crapper, though). Still I am a bit perplexed at its uber-popularity which apparently necessitates plush toys and other pointless merchandise.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Casual gaming reminds me so much of my youth spent in arcades with Pac-Man and Q-Bert. We made Pac-Man Fever a Top Ten song for god's sake. A few stuffed animals doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of video game mascot mania. I have no problem putting up with Mario in his various cartoon and live-action incarnations and I haven't liked one of his games since 1988.

So, no, not at all.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
I think it's fun, but I don't think it's THAT fun.

That being said, seeing as the rest of Android is full of "story" games that deceive you into thinking you can play them for free and end up forcing you to pay money to advance any farther, I'll take Angry Birds over that shit any day.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
Crush the castle is better.Besides ,its pretty much. rush the castle shite edition anyway.
Did I mention. I love crush the castle?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Aslong as people aren't claiming Angry birds is an original game, instead of a clone with a fresh paint job, there's no argument. People may like it.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Hectix777 said:
We should all be in agreement about this. For those who don't know what it is Google it, no time? It's an artillery game played with birds, like Crush the Castle but with birds instead of rocks.

Sure the game is fun, we all love it, but how popular it's become is insane! I went down to Fry's one day, there were boxes of Angry Birds candy, they weren't assorted like Skittles either every bird had their own box(which I wish Skittles would do), not to mention the plush toys, clothes, hats, that Google Chrome commercial, and now a cartoon series? Seriously I'm not joking Rovio bought out an animation studio and are making them create a 52 episode long series on Angry Birds. What still surprises me is the fact that this was done by an indie developer. I'm not saying all indie developers don't like profit or something but I thought one goal of gaining profit was to invest back in the company to pus innovation and new games and other stuff.

This game has become way too popular, we're all in aggrement, yeah?
No. For any company the goal is to expand with profit to make more profit. If it does that with innovation then great. Indie does not equal better games or more innovative it simply breeds innovation as a necessity, otherwise it cant do anything as it lacks the resources. This isnt to rip on indie devs but that is fact and its pretty ignorant to say that the purpose of profit is to make innovation. Look at Minecraft. Very innovative, looks like ass. looks like ass because creator isnt an artist and couldnt afford one. Now Mojang, the result of high profit, is making a card game. That strikes of less innovation. Not to have a go. Innovation is overated as an inherently good thing when it isnt and Mojang can do as they wish. Angry birds is innovative in its design and parts of its gameplay though it shares its core mechanic with many games (not just crush the castle it wasnt the first and wasnt a big deal till people started using it to rag on angry birds plus it wasnt all that great either). To claim something is too popular is stupid. Lots of people like it, it has a wide appeal. What does being too popular even mean? Thats such a vague thing to say.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
I figured this out ten months ago by Lake Ontario when my father in law (who hasn't gamed since the 80s), his son in law and the son in law's brother (neither gamers, either), who had nothing in common but engineering and golf, were rambling on about how amazing the physics were.