Poll: Okay, Angry Birds has become WAY too popular

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Eh I have no problems with it. Honestly I think I'd rather see casual gaming go more towards the Angry Birds route as opposed to the Zynga route. You can get the complete Angry Birds experience, all four game, for free or close to it while games like Farmville are just vehicles for Zynga to fleece the stupid.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Uhm, the company set out to do this. Sure, they bought a tonne of failed games before they landed on Angry Birds (a point they try to hide), but that was the goal all along as far as I understood:

Get a game, jimmy some marketable characters into it, and rival Sanrio Corp (aka Hello Kitty).

Sanrio got brand exposure via product quality: they outsourced 100% of the production such that if a rival product was superior, they could simply offer to move the production contract over to them. All they truly own are character copyrights, and a couple of retail stores in Tokyo (which never really worked out). The rest is contract.

Rovio has taken the complete opposite approach, and actively persued China first. By doing so, and by purposely turning a blind eye to knock-offs, they've leveraged the Chinese copyright infringement culture into massive, free publicity. Then, with massive free publicity from knock-offs, they can introduce their own official goods and take control of the market via quality.

Personally, I think it's genius.

Regardless of the outcome, expect Rovio to become a standard case study in university level business textbooks within the next 2-5 years.

Mar 9, 2010
It became this popular a long time before this thread was created, you're really late to the party. It's not too popular either, it's been milked too much but it isn't so popular that it's bad.

I'm more interested in which game will take it's place. Temple Run looked like it was going to manage but that died out, then it was Words with Friends and now it's Draw Something.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
How can something be 'too popular'? Unless you're trying to be edgy and different, I don't see how a game's popularity can be a bad thing.

If it's popular then there must be an audience to enjoy it, and since they're the one's financing it then I can't see what the problem is.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i wouldn't say it's TOO popular. most mega popular things are easily accessible and understandable things. Angry Birds is just that. so it makes sense. i don't mind if it's popular for now, in a few years everyone will forget about it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
And the answer to this is so?

Although, it's not popular enough to have fans that rages on the Internet for a slight change.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I never understand why people think it's a bad thing if something is "too" popular. I can understand being annoyed by something being overblown (a series seems a bit much, the fuck would the story be?) but I don't get complaints about something being too poular. That's the idea for an indie developer of any sort be it games or film, or anything: to make money just like any other.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
AngloDoom said:
How can something be 'too popular'? Unless you're trying to be edgy and different, I don't see how a game's popularity can be a bad thing.

If it's popular then there must be an audience to enjoy it, and since they're the one's financing it then I can't see what the problem is.
Phrased it better than I did. I am very, very bad with words.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, maybe. I think the premise of it is absolutely retarded myself so the popularity of it is lost on me. Although I have played it for a bit and yeah it is kinda fun. Regardless, I don't see it as something worth getting worked up over.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I see angry birds like I see tetris.

There is no real point in it. One very simple gameplay feature. It's success is almost completely luck of the draw on whether or not it catches on. It has infinite replay value. Infinite accessibility. Infinite ease of appeal. Well priced. Well marketed.

The guys who made it are now richer than the Sultan of Brunei, so you guys can fuck yourselves as far as they're concerned. They don't care! They struck bloody gold encrusted platinum with a vein of diamond running through it, floating in a sea of ancient Aztec jewellery of Emeralds, Sapphires and Ruby's! AND IT'S THE SIZE OF A CITY. And fair play to them.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Windknight said:
RJ 17 said:
Alright, yeah, the cartoon series is a little bit much I gotta say. What the hell's gonna be the plot? Every week a bunch of pissed off birds go up to the 3 little pigs and get all big bad wolf on'em by knocking down their houses for no discernible reason?
Considering the 80's created cartoons for the Rubiks Cube, Rambo and Chuck Norris, and the nineties gave us Earthworm Jim and two different sonic cartoons...

I think its fair to say plot will not be their primary consideration going into this.
:p I'll give you Rubiks Cube, but the rest of those all had plots that could be imagined just by hearing what they're about, each can have a nefarious, dastardly villain for the protagonist to confront.

You know what's going to be hilarious? When this becomes the new My Little Pony. :p

SgtGimli

Apr 1, 2011
While I have never played this game and I dont really have any interest in it, I dont see the problem with it...if people like it and have fun playing it then why not? The game isnt affecting me in the slightest, so I dont care.