Poll: Open worlds: Bethesda or Rockstar?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Bethsidia, Just because GTA if you stray from the roads theres nothing. Red Dead is alright though. I love Oblivion, but don't like fallout, lol. Well drop the 2 I don't like and Oblivion wins.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
Radoh said:
TheKwertyeweyoppe said:
Coffinshaker said:
Bethesda in Oblivion and Fallout 3

but they fail in New Vegas... terribly.
Why?
Why did they fail in New Vegas?
Because they didn't make it of course, silly!
well, I felt NV was really lacking in extra content. the map for FO3 was huge and there was just tons of little things like buildings or easter eggs you could discover. NV seemed more linear with those deathclaws guiding your path. I just like being able to run off and explore.

in FO3, I'd do the main quest last and basically run in the opposite direction of the quest! and it was great! but in NV, it seems like you HAVE to go in to certain places in a certain direction. like there's just not as much extracurricular activities to do. the FO3 DLCs were the same, except for that one with the mini world in the swamp... forget the name...

AH!!! you're right! Obsidian developed NV as opposed to Bethesda! didn't know that! guess it explains a lot.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Wow... tough one. I went with Rockstar. It was difficult, because Fallout 3 is my favourite open world game, period. Yet, I haven't played enough Bethesda games to say that they always pull off great worlds. Oblivion had a lot of cool stuff to do, but the place wasn't that interesting Geographically. I don't think I've played a Rockstar game whose world I didn't love, although I've yet to play L.A. Noire, so maybe the apparently smaller world there will make me take that statement back.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Depends on my mood; Rockstar have little empty space in their worlds, so there's always something going on (I like to just cruise GTA in a panda waiting for trouble to kick off between NPCs).

On the other hand, Bethesda worlds favour exploration. There's a lot of wilderness, but if you wander you can find little dungeons and set pieces. Last time I played Oblivion I just based myself in a city and just wandered out to see what I could find every day, no fast travel.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Bethesda is the company that was making sandbox games before they really had the descriptive title of "sandbox", though I might be wrong about that. Regardless, I never finished Red Dead Redemption, because the gameplay was simply boring. Keep smashing the "A" button to run, same thing with your horse, don't bother aiming your gun at the 3 dozen copy-pasted enemies in front of you, we'll do it for you. Sandbox games are by their very nature long from beginning to end, and Bethesda's understands that by filling the world with assortments of different enemy types, desirable loot, and fun sprawling terrain and dungeons.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I have to choose Rockstar by virtue of GTA IV having Dodge Vipers and RPG-7s in it. Sorry Oblivion, but your horses and magical whacking sticks just can't compare.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Rockstar Rockstar Rockstar. I don't care about tunnels and caves, no world is as involving as the Rockstar ones. You never feel so part of their world, so involved.

AMX58

Jan 27, 2010
tough choice there very i would have to say THQ and Rockstar and Bethesda

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Well I've never really felt like I had to go exploring in GTA IV. It can be delightful roaming the wastes and fighting raiders and exploring interesting towns.

That being said, neither Fallout or Oblivion have helicopters to jump out of at great heights.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Rockstar.
Easy choice because their games are not unbalanced bug filled clusterfucks.

Jul 13, 2010
Rockstar for me. Their worlds feel much more alive and organic, while Bethesda's are a bit plastic. Interesting, pretty and all that, but not really alive.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Joseph375 said:
Rockstar, because I really hate Fallout. Bethesda consistently makes glitchy games in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but get eaten by mutant flies over the next hill. Also, Fallout npcs look really creepy when they talk to you.
Um this is a thread to see who does the best worlds and things to do in those worlds, not whats the better game

OT: Bethesda because there always the element of discovery when going into old ruins or a new dungeon. Whilst in RDR and GTA the only other things to do are minigames and the world acts more like a hub for the missions.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Jabberwock King said:
Bethesda is the company that was making sandbox games before they really had the descriptive title of "sandbox", though I might be wrong about that. Regardless, I never finished Red Dead Redemption, because the gameplay was simply boring. Keep smashing the "A" button to run, same thing with your horse, don't bother aiming your gun at the 3 dozen copy-pasted enemies in front of you, we'll do it for you. Sandbox games are by their very nature long from beginning to end, and Bethesda's understands that by filling the world with assortments of different enemy types, desirable loot, and fun sprawling terrain and dungeons.
If you find auto aim too easy, turn it off. I put it in expert mode, was great.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Bethesda has better worlds, but Rockstar has better combat. Overall, I prefer Rockstar's games better, but I had to vote for Bethesda.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
Bethesday, their games come much closer to actually being open world instead of rockstar's just a huge map

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Iwata said:
bombadilillo said:
Also theres the pointless sandbox a la LA Noire.
How do you mean? I was under the impression the game was a sort of open world experience, albeit a bit more linear than most. But still open world. I haven't played it yet, so feel free to elaborate.
Well, there's nothing to do in the open world. I should say theres nothing to do thats fun in the open world. Its a sandbox but that just serves as a tedious drive between crime scenes. You can skip it by letting you partner drive, which I did after the first few uneventful drives. There are "street crimes" that you get calls on the radio for but you can fast travel to those as well. Its just kind of pointless. I guess people call it "immersion" but I will take a loading screen over 5 minutes of boring driving, especially later cases with like 8 locations.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I can admit I have had some enjoyable times in Liberty City, the old West, and L.A.

But Bethesda's worlds though have lost me to playing for upwards of 14 hour forgetting to eat, and constantly referring to myself as the brave battlemage Illegor.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
It's apples and oranges really, but I'll go with Bethesda simply because I don't like the GTA games.