Poll: Origin v Steam with battlelines drawn, where r u?

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Golan Trevize said:
I don't care as long as EA gets their system right by the time Mass Effect 3 is out.
Hear-hear!

The only reason why I don't like Origin is because, well, it sucks. If I'm playing Mass Effect 3 and I have to restart my computer, uninstall Origin, reinstall it, and download every update each time I want to play the game I can safely say I'm gonna be pissed. (Sad thing is, this is already what Origin is like)

If they fix it and make it bearable for Mass Effect 3 I won't mind it one bit.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
I like EA's Origin line-up, but this digital download platform can just go plough itself, just like the EA Download Manager. What's with this name anyways?
I've used Steam since 2009, and I'll keep using it.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
viranimus said:
My position is the same as it always is. Until these digital distribution clients actually impart ownership rights, and stop selling licenses instead of games, then I hope they duke it out in a bloody battle and obliterate each other out of existence.

Yeah I get it. Steam has awesome "sales" But those prices directly reflect that there is no actual ownership and Steam in its discretion can revoke your license with or without reason and every steam user has agreed to this as well as agreed to if their account is closed that they are not entitled to any form of recompense for what has been taken away from them.

It astounds me that people buy so vehemently into this. I mean Most people wont buy gold from chinese gold sellers in MMOs because "why would I pay real money for something that isnt real" then why is it that people miss that when it comes to digital distribution?

So yes.. Let them duke it out and destroy each other. Perhaps we can get a proper method of digital distribution that isnt founded on such a faulty premise.
I look at it like this: in a world where every company on the planet wants to violently bend you over, suck every single penny out of your wallet, and leave you crying on the floor of the shower, Valve has the decency to use a lot of lube and thank you when it's done. It might even call you the next day and ask how work went.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Steam will win. Look at the sales they have just for the hell of it really. Imagine what they will do to crush their competition.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I really couldn't care less what it says on the tin, as long as I don't have to use a different service for every freakin' game.

If every developer ends up having its own distribution service you have to run in order to play the game then I'll probably just start mailing them a cheque, and pirate the crap out of it.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
EA are more hated then valve. Steam are more reliable and trust worthy than E.A.
I hadn't even heard of origin until very recently and according to the poll 1 in 20 people who actually care agree.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I'd probably squat on Steam's side, maybe throw a stick or something if it comes down to a bloodbath. I'd just as soon care less. I mean, I know this is an important issue for a great many people, some of whom I might even pretend to like, but I just have no investment in it.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]
viranimus said:
My position is the same as it always is. Until these digital distribution clients actually impart ownership rights, and stop selling licenses instead of games, then I hope they duke it out in a bloody battle and obliterate each other out of existence.

Yeah I get it. Steam has awesome "sales" But those prices directly reflect that there is no actual ownership and Steam in its discretion can revoke your license with or without reason and every steam user has agreed to this as well as agreed to if their account is closed that they are not entitled to any form of recompense for what has been taken away from them.

It astounds me that people buy so vehemently into this. I mean Most people wont buy gold from chinese gold sellers in MMOs because "why would I pay real money for something that isnt real" then why is it that people miss that when it comes to digital distribution?

So yes.. Let them duke it out and destroy each other. Perhaps we can get a proper method of digital distribution that isnt founded on such a faulty premise.
I look at it like this: in a world where every company on the planet wants to violently bend you over, suck every single penny out of your wallet, and leave you crying on the floor of the shower, Valve has the decency to use a lot of lube and thank you when it's done. It might even call you the next day and ask how work went.
I don't think there is a better way to put it.

It's scary, but I think you would hear a lot more people complaining about it if Steam would have an active account banhammer. I don't think many people have been kicked off of steam and thus lost all their games.

If someone has statistics I'd be interested.

General Michi

Sep 12, 2010
I wish both sides would get their shit together about this DLC business.

My side is, none the less, with steam. I'm not going to join another digital distributer when this one works perfectly. Also Origin only does EA games at the moment anyway and it's not worth joining if that's all I get. It feels like they've shot themselves in the foot by trying to tango with Valve

ImpofthePerverse

Sep 14, 2010
STEAM's been good to me, and honestly I kinda hope Origin falls flat on it's face. Unless E.A. try doing something new or unique with Origin then it's not going to compete, coming to blows with the largest force on the digital distribution market will only end one of two ways.

1) E.A. go back to making their titles comply with STEAMS terms of use due to lower than expected digital sales.

2) E.A. have some success and deiced to sell all their games directly through their own service

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Well, I tried Origin recently, when I finally got my hands on a (retail) copy of Dead Space 2. My impressions: it's half broken, the library is pitiful, prices are too high and the support is nigh non-existent.

Steam, on the other hand.. I've been using it for over 3 years now, and I'm yet to have a problem with it. EA are starting a fight they cannot win.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
indiangrunt91 said:
Wait you have to use origin for bf3! Damn it!
If that goes through, it might do worse in gamers eyes than MeeWeeTwoo or BOps.

To me and competitive gamers (the target of BF3 since they're making a "non console" PC version) that's like an early grave.

Well we'll see anyway. *goes back to playing HOMM V on steam*

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
at the end of the day this is no different than there being 2 different video game retailers on the high street and anyone who is smart will go for the one that has the game they want the cheapest and not because its run by EA or Valve that shouldn't matter

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
I'll be buying Mass Effect 3 on D2D or Impulse before I install Origin. I will then immediately add it to my Steam games list and play it exclusively on there. I have no doubt EA is going to make sure ME3 is never on Steam just like all the other new releases and it ANNOYS ME A BUNCH. :[

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
TimeLord said:
Steam will win. It has way too much of a head start over Origin, is better than Origin and Steam isn't run by childish gits.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong but could you not just buy an EA game from a retailer then put it in your Steam Library as a non-Steam game?
That's what I did with Crysis 2. I'm so glad that I didn't buy it through Steam.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Neutral. Rather idiotic to take sides really. They're both businesses out to make money, Valve is just far better at hiding it. Origin will never take over Steam eitherway, but I don't mind games requiring it.