Poll: Origin v Steam with battlelines drawn, where r u?

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I was going to buy Crysis 2 on steam but it got pulled. Now I'm not going to bother so EA/Crytek are out my $30-50.

So yeah, Steam all the way.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
As a fan of both Bullfrog and Westwood, I hope EA looses as much money as they possibly can in this venture =)

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
the only time I will be using origin is for when ToR comes out, otherwise i plan to have nothing to do with it.

Apr 28, 2008
viranimus said:
My position is the same as it always is. Until these digital distribution clients actually impart ownership rights, and stop selling licenses instead of games, then I hope they duke it out in a bloody battle and obliterate each other out of existence.

Yeah I get it. Steam has awesome "sales" But those prices directly reflect that there is no actual ownership and Steam in its discretion can revoke your license with or without reason and every steam user has agreed to this as well as agreed to if their account is closed that they are not entitled to any form of recompense for what has been taken away from them.

It astounds me that people buy so vehemently into this. I mean Most people wont buy gold from chinese gold sellers in MMOs because "why would I pay real money for something that isnt real" then why is it that people miss that when it comes to digital distribution?

So yes.. Let them duke it out and destroy each other. Perhaps we can get a proper method of digital distribution that isnt founded on such a faulty premise.
And we have a winner.

It's why I love GoG.com. When you buy from them, you own the game, not GoG, or anyone else. It's yours and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Sadly they just deal in older games, and not newer ones. Closest digital distributor to do this is GamersGate. You give them money, they give you the game. Simple, easy, painless. Of course you're still at the mercy of whatever the publishers want to put in their games, but at least GG doesn't saddle anything more on it.

But even still, I prefer physical copies. Because I don't feel like trusting big companies to not screw me over. Steam does need competition to give it the kick in the ass it needs. But EA is not that competitor. That, and I like to own my games.

To compete with Steam you'll need to do what they do and more(or less, in some cases). You need to offer games at good prices, have plenty of sales, provide a nice community system, make downloading/installing easy as pie, not force the customer to run a client to play the game, and basically let the customer own what he/she buys.

No way in hell is EA up to those tasks.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I really don't care about the company I care who's trying to give the people using their services more rights and things to do and NOT limiting us with shitty limited download DRM or always on DRM.

And as I understand, Origin lets you download your game and after a year you have to rebuy it if you haven't downloaded it so as far as I'm concerned Origin can go stick a carrot up their nose. Not using it .

Samurai Jim

Nov 9, 2009
I'm confused about this is any different than Battle.net for WoW and other Blizzard games? You don't find those on Steam and yet there isn't a daily cry for its immediate failure and destruction despite Blizzard's connection to Activision. I'm not up here to defend EA or its business practices but lets keep some perspective: you want a system that one of this site's favorite developers (Bioware) is forced to use to sell and operate their games with because you dislike the publisher.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I think EA is stupid to pull anything off of Steam. They are cutting their own sales.

Better solution - offer extra goodies for buying it from Origin.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Gabe will eat them alive.

[sub]disclaimer: that is a figure of speech and is not intended to be taken as a 'Gabe Newell is Fat' joke, honest. Don't blame me if HL3 has just been pushed back another week.[/sub]

Apr 24, 2008
I'm fairly unimpressed with origin at the moment.

My only experience with it was a quick look at the website, I saw the prices, laughed...closed the browser.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
I don't really care what happens I'll get the games I want one way or another.

What I DO want though is that all these systems are compatible. I want to be able to buy the full version on Steam and then 2 different expansions from D2D and Origin. If they manage to pull that off I welcome them.
They won't but I can dream.

Another plus side is that with more digital game shops there will be competition among them and we (the gamers) can expect nice price cuts and exclusive items.

Who wants to bet that Ubisoft is going to be next with such a service? (and that it will be a DRM virus in disguise?)

Captcha: Meet your waterloo! (Be nice to me..)

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I've always wondered...

Why are amazon's prices for games ALWAYS lower than digital distrubution prices? It makes no god-damn sense.

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
What's wrong with competition? Maybe Origin's presence will finally convince Valve that Steam doesn't need to be connected to the internet for me to play single player games*. Come on people, competition is what drives innovation. Look at what it did for graphics cards, RAM, hard drives, EVERYTHING EVER**. Really people, this can only help the industry.

And for that, my answer is "Powdered Toast Man!".

*No one argue against me on that statement, because Steam DOES occasionally freak out and refuse to let me play games when I lose my connection and then try to start Steam. My friend is also currently experiencing the same issue.

**Hyperbole, but I'm sure you get the point

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Amphoteric said:
I've always wondered...

Why are amazon's prices for games ALWAYS lower than digital distrubution prices? It makes no god-damn sense.
I got BFBC2 for $5 on steam and it's $20 on Amazon.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
well....I don't think ANY consumer asked for or wanted EA Origin.....And thusfar they have proven themselves to greedy to beat Steam's prices.

That being said, if they take this as a learning experience and will try to match Steam's prices I'm okay with it.

.......oh god. I just realized. EA Origin will fail, and in a hilarious attempt to get some money back they'll try and sue Valve for undermining them or some shit. That I have to watch.

Captha: Rum Do

If you say so captcha

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Bags159 said:
Amphoteric said:
I've always wondered...

I got BFBC2 for $5 on steam and it's $20 on Amazon.
Yeah in a special occasion sale. Can you find a game that is cheaper on steam right now?

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Lashus said:
Only going to Origin for SWTOR
Amphoteric said:
I've just realised I'm going to HAVE to use origin for TOR and ME3...

fuck
CriticKitten said:
Really?

Well, all of my remaining interest in SWTOR just slipped away.
xDHxD148L0 said:
the only time I will be using origin is for when ToR comes out, otherwise i plan to have nothing to do with it.
Just wanted to clear this up for you guys, according to the devs at TOR, Origins is only used if you bought the DD version from Origin, and even if you did you will not have to run Origin while playing, nor do you have to launch the game or patch through it even if you did buy it from there.

So, no Origin in your TOR unless you want it to be.

OT: I have no issue with Origin. It doesn't need to be running to play its games like Steam which pleases me, but if Origin really wants to compete with Steam (with a wide selection) or the Amazon downloading service (where everything is cheaper than everywhere else by a huge margin), Origin needs to find its own schtick other than it isn't annoying to use. Not really a plus in its favor, even if it does keep track of my EA purchases from other sites.

Amphoteric said:
I've always wondered...

They have to compete with their boxed prices, which are in direct competition with the used sales that are on the very same page as the new purchases. That drives down prices lickety-split :p

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
You must be joking. Origin is just a rebranded marketplace (which was fucking awful), with the huge gaping flaw that your downloaded games only last for a year, where exactly is the versus? Origin is a shop that only sells EA games, will most likely eat up more resources, and might not let me access my games after a year, why the hell would I use it?

poppabaggins said:
*No one argue against me on that statement, because Steam DOES occasionally freak out and refuse to let me play games when I lose my connection and then try to start Steam. My friend is also currently experiencing the same issue.
Doesn't mean it isn't true though, just because you're having issues, works fine for me and most other people, granted I will give you it does freak out, but that doesn't mean the intention isn't there, it's SUPPOSED to be able to be used offline, which I was doing so for the past 20 days where I didn't have internet.

If steam was designed to ONLY work when connected to the internet, you'd have a point, as it stands, you're letting personal experience cloud your judgement.