Poll: PEANUT BUTTER!!!

Feb 7, 2016
I love peanut butter. There are few things that I wouldn't at least try to eat with peanut butter. I recently had a plate of celery and carrots with some peanut butter as dip.

My father loved peanut butter. My brother enjoys it. My mother likes it.

My girlfriend doesn't like it, and one of my close friends HATES it.
In fact, there are a few people in my life that do not like peanut butter, and it's kind of baffling to me.

I used to feel the same about people that didn't like pizza, but I can at least understand that: It's greasy and depending on where you get it from it can make you feel upset by how much grease is in it.

However the people I know that don't like peanut butter are very few, and since it's been a part of my life for so long I guess it's hard for me to accept how someone couldn't like one of my favorite foods. (I'm exaggerating, of course, it's totally cool if you don't like it)

But I would be curious to know if there's any specific events in ones life that could cause someone not to like peanut butter other than just taste. There are foods I won't touch just simply because something happened involving the food and that's all I can think about when seeing it (for example, not only did I hate the smell, but I was also quite nauseous when my parents were having candied sweet potatoes, so now even the smell can trigger a bit of nausea, and it tarnishes the taste even as an adult)

Do you like peanut butter as much as I do? What creative/special ways have you used it in food? Heck, even if it wasn't for food! I'm curious to know.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I love the smell of peanut butter, but dont care for eating it much. Sometimes I open a jar of PB and smell it...then put it away again cause I dont want to actually eat it.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Don't know and can't vote. Both for the same reason; I've never tried it.
I don't think it's actually all that common or available outside the US..?

I do like "Peanut Rings" (Jordn?tsringar in Swedish), but since it's a completely different texture involved, I'm not sure how I would feel about it..

I am quite certain that I wouldn't like a PB&J sandwich though. Can't stand jelly or jam. Wrong texture (again).

Hate it or love, it's the same thing with Messm?r (Primost/Prim).

Feb 7, 2016
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I do like "Peanut Rings" (Jordn?tsringar in Swedish), but since it's a completely different texture involved, I'm not sure how I would feel about it..

I am quite certain that I wouldn't like a PB&J sandwich though. Can't stand jelly or jam. Wrong texture (again).

Hate it or love, it's the same thing with Messm?r (Primost/Prim).
...is it less common outside of the US? Peanut Butter is one of the last foods I'd think about being more central in the US in comparison to other places. That's an interesting thing to find out if it's true.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I don't hate it, but given the choice I'd generally choose the... whatever the alternative would be. I'd pick it over Marmite. Probably better than some other things. But never a go-to for me. I don't think I've actually ever bought a... jar, can, tub? Whatever its sold in. Similarly I don't understand the appeal of Nutella. Again not bad, but its just chocolate peanut butter. It isn't that appealing.

Generally I prefer savory over sweet though. Peanuts are best just lightly salted... then eaten. And even then I prefer almonds or pistachios.

Nov 9, 2015
I don't like peanuts, so I don't really like peanut butter.

Eating unsweetened peanut butter is just awful, and eating either grainy peanut butter or chunky peanut butter is gross. I like the smooth kind as vegetable dip or heated with toast, but that's about it. Oh and it absolutely ruins chocolate.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Readily available in the UK in pretty much any supermarket.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I'd like to indicate my indifference. A bit too gacky to enjoy, but in the case of utter starvation, it's preferable to eating my coworkers or children

[small] marginally improved by adding chocolate spread to create choconut spread![/small]

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I HATE IT!

It smells fowl and tastes worse. I used to hate whenever someone had peanut butter sandwiches at school as it stunk up the whole classroom for the rest of the afternoon.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Love it, although not as much as Marmite, and peanut butter made of 100% peanuts is rather bitter and unpleasant.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I was hoping this was going to be some BoJack shenanigans. But you guys are really talking about PB...

It's fine but definitely prefer crunchy. My partner does a great peanut butter slice.

We have PB in Australia. But that's not saying much as we're wanna be Americans

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Yes, especially chunky. Why would you want Peanut anything if it isn't chunky?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Definitely a peanut butter fan. I prefer smooth and ?with honey? varieties, but you can keep that ?natural? stuff that you have to stir between uses; too much work and the texture of fine, oily sand is pretty off-putting. But my preferred PBs go great an most fruits and certain veggies; a peanut butter sandwich with a cold glass of milk or hot tea/coffee is awesomeness. I also like it on my pancakes: buttery pancakes + a layer of PB in between + syrup to taste = HEAVEN! But at my laziest, I just grab a tablespoon, scoop out a big glob of peanut butter and eat it like a lollipop.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I like it well enough. I'm not too particular about it, either. Sweetened, unsweetened, natural, full of additives, creamy, chunky, whatever.

It's not a food I actively seek out, but having a bit of it on some toast every once in a while is nice. I'd probably also be branded as un-American if I didn't have the occasional peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

My family generally loves the stuff, though.

Apr 17, 2009
I like it in sandwiches when you pair it off with something sweet. But I most commonly use it melted down to use as a sauce, with various ingredients added depending on what kind flavour I'm going for. Great with chicken or prawns on top of noodles or some stir fry veg

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I don't like it. Not to the level that its smell ruins my appetite (like Parmesan powder does), but I hate when I think i'm biting into a chocolate brownie and suddenly taste peanut butter.

I remember eating PB&J sandwiches a lot when I was in pre-school, but sometime growing up I just lost the taste for it.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Usually I prefer almond butter, even though it's more expensive.

Souplex said:
Yes, especially chunky. Why would you want Peanut anything if it isn't chunky?
Yes, this!
With regular PB: chunky or GTFO.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Saelune said:
I love the smell of peanut butter, but dont care for eating it much. Sometimes I open a jar of PB and smell it...then put it away again cause I dont want to actually eat it.
This is now the strangest thing I know about you.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Reasonable Atheist said:
Saelune said:
This is now the strangest thing I know about you.
Pfft, then you dont know me. This? This is just peanuts ;D *pause for laughter*