Poll: Personal Issue with Batman: Arkham City

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I think I'll just agree with people here; I pre-ordered it anyway (even though I didn't really know that Catwoman came along) and it's been a blast so far. I just wanted to play as Bats again. :3 As for the skins, that was just a bonus. I didn't pre-order to get the skin or Catwoman, I pre-ordered because I really wanted it. xD

If it mattered more, I'd have probably been upset, too. But it's not really a big deal to me. The game is still great without Catwoman and skins and stuff.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
KaiserKnight said:
WindScar said:
I would press that you should all consider CDProjecktRED's great game "Witcher 2" which features FREE DLC because they feel that it's the best way to ensure marketing. I guess I am upset that this is my comparison
Don't take this the wrong way...but you sound like the kind of person whom buys cereal for the free toy instead of taste/health benefits.
Don't take this the wrong way, you sound like you pulled that example out of your ass.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
KaiserKnight said:
WindScar said:
Hello fellow Escapees.
Recently, I have seen what is going on with Arkham City, and I have decided not to buy it.

(1)I was a huge fan of the original game, it was great and I felt real joy when City was announced, but now I see that they are doing just about everything to the game that I hate.

(2)They demand pre-ordering from diffrent places for the diffrent skins. I.E you would have to pre-order it from 6 diffrent places to get all the costumes

(3)And as if that wasn't bad enough for me, they also said that if you bought it used, you would have to pay to unlock Catwoman as a playable character.

I don't know about you guys, but this business model speaks only "CASH NOW, DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT" to me, and I despise it. I will be buying it used, just because it's my own personal "FUCK YOU!" to the business model.

Thoughts?
(1) Were you a big Batman fan or just a big fan of the first game? Either way games are changing every time they make a sequel, if they don't we get POS games like Gears.

(2) It was a marketing gimmick and it does NOT affect the game what so ever. Honestly, that is a really piss poor excuse not to get a game. So your character looks different when you play but game-play itself is the same...if you REALLY need to have all the skins you might want to talk to someone about your obsession issue. HUGE FANATICS would have an issue with this yes, but that is about 3% of people to my knowledge.

(3) And? Many games have done this, story wise there is nothing changed since you are buying BATMAN Arkham City, so you still play as BATMAN and follow BATMAN's story. Just some achievements (means nothing to me, over hyped marketing gimmick now) may not be unlocked but it is one of the few things companies do that I approve to make players buy a game new. Want this special weapon/character or see a new area that adds 2 hours of gameplay? Buy the game new, want it but bought it used? Pay for it.

My opinion...you are over reacting to something that is really nothing. Buy it new, buy it used, if you are just buying it for Catwomen spend the extra $5 currently to get it new and have her in it...I really didn't care much about having her in it but then again I am not a big fan of either one. Just an interesting game with a decent story to it.
Wait a minute, you're saying that I should get the game, even though I don't want to? Piss poor logic, bro.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
It's to create a variation, and as stated above, they gotta make money. Sure, one can say it's enough money on the game itself, but considering the hard pressed world economy, the more money they can earn, the better. I don't know that much about the game industry as a whole, but maybe because of this move, it means they don't have to fire employees? I don't see why you complain at all, though. It's a fucking skin.

It won't change your experience of the game, but go ahead and boycott it. It won't make a difference to the industry that you do, and meanwhile many of us will enjoy playing it on the release date and play as Catwoman, so consider what you lose and what you gain. Hint: You gain nothing.

WindScar said:
KaiserKnight said:
WindScar said:
I would press that you should all consider CDProjecktRED's great game "Witcher 2" which features FREE DLC because they feel that it's the best way to ensure marketing. I guess I am upset that this is my comparison
Don't take this the wrong way...but you sound like the kind of person whom buys cereal for the free toy instead of taste/health benefits.
Don't take this the wrong way, you sound like you pulled that example out of your ass.
That is an excellent example, because you're spending your time complaining about something as stupid as an alternative skin for a video game. Please, get a grip. If you want the game, buy it. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Your little boycott won't make a difference.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
You can eventually (and maybe even initially) buy most of the other costumes as DLC. Don't worry. Just play the game if you like it.

Who the hell needs so many costumes anyway, only if you REALLY like the game. You're actually not gonna play it at all because you really like it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
WindScar said:
Hello fellow Escapees.
Recently, I have seen what is going on with Arkham City, and I have decided not to buy it.

I was a huge fan of the original game, it was great and I felt real joy when City was announced, but now I see that they are doing just about everything to the game that I hate.

They demand pre-ordering from diffrent places for the diffrent skins. I.E you would have to pre-order it from 6 diffrent places to get all the costumes

And as if that wasn't bad enough for me, they also said that if you bought it used, you would have to pay to unlock Catwoman as a playable character.

I don't know about you guys, but this business model speaks only "CASH NOW, DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT" to me, and I despise it. I will be buying it used, just because it's my own personal "FUCK YOU!" to the business model.

Thoughts?
If you're able to, send the WB and, Rocksteady an e-mail or letter expressing this sentiment. It's true that buying used from gamestop will still get you the Catwoman code but that's only gamestop. It's a huge middle finger to every mom-n-pop shop trying to compete and an F-YOU to other retailers that offer game trading like Best Buy. Speaking of Best Buy, if you didn't preorder from them you can buy Robin for an additional $6.99 (rounding up to $7). If you didn't pre-order the game at all, but mearly bought the game on a whim from Gamestop you don't get any skins so while you're saving $10 on Catwoman, you're going to have to shell out $4.99($5) for the additional skins (and $7 for Robin).

Of course if you grab the game pre-owned from Best Buy, you'll probably get it for $55. Forgetting about Robin and the Skins, you would still need to give up $10 for Catwoman which has been heavily advertised for the last few months. It doesn't matter how little a role she plays as it's still single-player, story-mode content being withheld until the used player ponies up the extra cash. Unfortunately, I'm in the position where I can't connect to Xbox Live at all so even with a new copy, I'm locked out of bits of my own single-player mode.

I've sent a letter to the WB about this but doubt I'll see a reply since they're still going to make bank on this game anyway. I've already started to see that more than a few copies of the game were sold without the online pass! It probably won't be enough to make a significant number of people say 'No More' but there will be more now than there were before. It's this kind of nickle-and-dimming that's pushing me back into retro gaming, where you paid for a game once and knew you held in your hand a complete, finished product contained within a cartridge or, disc. Game companies make, and have made, more than enough money before these Online Passes became the norm. $10 is a drop in the bucket to these people and I'm done lining their pockets.

Sep 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
They don't get your money, why should you get all the content? Hell, it's not even main content, it's stuff on the side.

Sounds like a fair trade to me, but I would say that, because I buy all my games new.

And pre-order skins? Meh, I don't really care about how my character looks while doing the freakin' challenge modes.
this.

it's all trivial stuff that adds up next to nothing on what i'm getting with the main content.

plus the used price is hardly cheaper, it's usually 5-10 bucks max off the main tag price, hence, project 10 dollar.

I'm not going to get the game probably for a while, maybe christmas, but i'll be buying it new.

say 20 people buy used, instead of buying new

--
900 dollars goes to the gamestop(retailer)

buy it for 60-50

--
1200 goes to the developer/publisher, and that is just for 20 people...

now yes you can nitpick at that all day, but that is what the publisher will probably think and that is 1200 dollars to go into someone's pocket, and they sure as hell don't want it to be game retailers.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
If you're able to, send the WB and, Rocksteady an e-mail or letter expressing this sentiment. It's true that buying used from gamestop will still get you the Catwoman code but that's only gamestop. It's a huge middle finger to every mom-n-pop shop trying to compete and an F-YOU to other retailers that offer game trading like Best Buy. Speaking of Best Buy, if you didn't preorder from them you can buy Robin for an additional $6.99 (rounding up to $7). If you didn't pre-order the game at all, but mearly bought the game on a whim from Gamestop you don't get any skins so while you're saving $10 on Catwoman, you're going to have to shell out $4.99($5) for the additional skins (and $7 for Robin).

Of course if you grab the game pre-owned from Best Buy, you'll probably get it for $55. Forgetting about Robin and the Skins, you would still need to give up $10 for Catwoman which has been heavily advertised for the last few months. It doesn't matter how little a role she plays as it's still single-player, story-mode content being withheld until the used player ponies up the extra cash. Unfortunately, I'm in the position where I can't connect to Xbox Live at all so even with a new copy, I'm locked out of bits of my own single-player mode.

I've sent a letter to the WB about this but doubt I'll see a reply since they're still going to make bank on this game anyway. I've already started to see that more than a few copies of the game were sold without the online pass! It probably won't be enough to make a significant number of people say 'No More' but there will be more now than there were before. It's this kind of nickle-and-dimming that's pushing me back into retro gaming, where you paid for a game once and knew you held in your hand a complete, finished product contained within a cartridge or, disc. Game companies make, and have made, more than enough money before these Online Passes became the norm. $10 is a drop in the bucket to these people and I'm done lining their pockets.
That's great! I'll make sure to do so as well, in true hope that they will realize that not everyone should pay, or even use online downloading for content that could have just as easily been on the disc.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
MysticToast said:
Tell me, OP. Did you complain when Soul Calibur II (I believe it was II) had three different exclusive characters depending on which console you bought it for?
or 4 for yoda/darth vader option?

And Who gives a shit about the pre order. Oh YAY I CAN GET A DIFFERENT SKIN. So what.

The "buying new" thing though is actually good strategy, because the company that made the game doesn't make money if the game is sold used. That's all Gamestop/best buy that bought the game back at half the price it's being sold for used.

So while i think it's stupid that each company has a different "pre order skin" or "pre order item" I do agree with the "If you buy it used you lost out on stuff" that bioware seems to love doing.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
WindScar said:
MercurySteam said:
WindScar said:
MercurySteam said:
WindScar said:
you would have to pay to unlock Catwoman as a playable character.
No. Wrong. Catwoman is a bonus downloadable pack not included on the disc (about 250MB).
That's not wrong, you just said I was wrong, even though you said exactly what I did. Kinda childish, bro.
I fail to see where you are correct. You stated that you have to 'unlock' Catwoman with a code, I said you have to 'download' Catwoman separate from the game.

Two totally different things bro.
Are you retarded, bro? Unlocking == Downloading with a code included in the game. You are just arrognat and refuse to say you were wrong now, bro.
See, there you go. Wrong again. When you 'unlock' a piece of DLC you redeem a code to download a digital rights license (108KB on Xbox LIVE) that 'unlocks' the extra content from the disc that grants you access to it. When you 'download' something e.g. the Catwoman Bundle Pack you have to redeem a code (or pay 800MSP) which then grants you a digital rights license then requires you to download a 250MB file to access content not included on the disc.

Oh and it's arrogant, something you seem to be displaying very well.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
WindScar said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Hey they gotta make money somehow...
By which I mean "Isn't it enough selling the game itself?"
There is absolutely no difference between the Catwoman thing and any other DLC. Her storyline is pretty minor and is NOT necessary to complete the game. Plus, I read that used copies from gamestop will still get the code.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
MercurySteam said:
See, there you go. Wrong again. When you 'unlock' a piece of DLC you redeem a code to download a digital rights license (108KB on Xbox LIVE) that 'unlocks' the extra content from the disc that grants you access to it. When you 'download' something e.g. the Catwoman Bundle Pack you have to redeem a code (or pay 800MSP) which then grants you a digital rights license then requires you to download a 250MB file to access content not included on the disc.

Oh and it's arrogant, something you seem to be displaying very well.
"You're wrong, therefore I shall say the exact same thing I have previously, to prove my point, flinging the same words you used against me." Not even going to try, you're locked up in this whole thing, and I see no reason to talk you out of being 'right'.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
I don't think the skins are any sort of deal-breaker. There's really only two player characters for the challenges, everything else is just cosmetic.

As for the Catwoman missions... I'm at 45% completion of the main missions and so far the two Catwoman missions have been surplus to requirements, as the story of Arkham City is disjointed to begin with. It's little more than a Day One DLC. Since Gamestop only knocks about $5 off of Used Games, giving away a $10 DLC is obviously being used to encourage new game purchases.

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
WindScar said:
KaiserKnight said:
WindScar said:
Wow, sensitive much? How would I pull digital words out from there anyways, or a thought from there? Also was not saying in the last post you should buy the game just that you have given really poor reasons to not buy it. Opinions, they do exist though and each person has their own reason for things even if they do not make much sense.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
KaiserKnight said:
WindScar said:
KaiserKnight said:
WindScar said:
Wow, sensitive much? How would I pull digital words out from there anyways, or a thought from there? Also was not saying in the last post you should buy the game just that you have given really poor reasons to not buy it. Opinions, they do exist though and each person has their own reason for things even if they do not make much sense.
You just pulled that example out of your ass, that's what I said, and you just deny what you said, and call ME sensitive? Gee.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
When everybody thought Catwoman was apart of the main story yet a few weeks ago they fliped and said that's she's now DLC. That's bullshit in many ways plus people been having issues saying the DLC is corrupted or it didn't work. That hurts the NEW buyers for something that's a fucking cash grab. What's next they're gonna hype up bosses in the next Arkham game yet you can't fight'em unless you buy new or get the DLC and that's if the shit isn't buggy.