Poll: Physical or Emotional Pain?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
dorkette1990 said:
I happen to enjoy physical pain so emotional is worse.
Pretty much this. After all the times I have accidentally cut myself, I don't mind it anymore, and stuff like getting punched and slapped can sometimes be enjoyable.
So I think you can guess which one is worse.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Physical pain is more tolerable... Emotional pain will leave you scarred worse... Your own mind can lead you to ruin as it stands, what more if it gets beaten and battered?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Physical pain due to my history of it.

Things like chronic back pain, knee pain or constant headaches far exceed the ups and downs that come with being heartbroken, experiencing loss of family or sensing fear.

However, I can see why most people would consider emotional pain worse and rightly so.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
SoulSalmon said:
Rarely does anyone experience anything that should be traumatic enough to be emotionally scarring, short of having every person you've ever loved being skinned and in immense pain right in front of your eyes, and then learning that it's your fault, you shouldn't HAVE any emotional pain.
And in the end you'd be experiencing the emotional pain BECAUSE of physical pain anyway, just not your own.
That bolded bit... just what do you mean by that??

Because, I'm a psychologically damaged person by any stretch of the imagination, and yet I find myself in the unenviable position be being unable to express any anger or hatred towards a thing/organisation/person for any of it. There is literally nothing or no-one I can pass blame to for my circumstances. I can blame myself for feeling shit and having nightmares but is that going make anything better? I find it difficult at the best of times to justify my existence and yet I persist for the sake of my family, the hope that someone out there might understand my pain and be able to cry with me and that before I die, I might be able to feel even just a moment of true happiness.

You fail to understand that the strength of will of the human mind varies from person to person. Perhaps I'm a complete wuss because I saw someone close to me killed no more than two metres in front of me, and I'm yet to properly recover from it. Perhaps I'm a complete wuss because I broke down in tears when I found out my child never drew breath. When you lose something that means more to you than your very self, get back to me.

... Excuse me...

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
physical i am such a cold hearted ***** that emotional pain just bounces right off and on top of that getting shot and stabbed really hurts i tagged myself with a splinter while chopping wood a week or so ago and that hurt and i was cutting branches of palms today and that hurt

my uncle died and i felt nothing my boyfriend dumped me because he felt i didn't love him i didn't i again felt nothing

so with a choice between something that hurts and something that doesn't the one that hurts comes out on top that makes physical pain worse for me

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
SoulSalmon said:
Yes but emotional pain is EXCLUSIVELY in the mind, physical harm is backed up by actual injury and nerve endings releasing chemicals that specialize in making you suffer.

Emotional pain... well it's pretty much just 'negative' emotions like sadness from what I can tell, and I can't imagine why people let themselves get so worked up about it.
Except it's not just in the mind. It has real-world, physical consequences as you agree.

Its cause is often due to physical circumstances, too. The only real difference is that emotional pain rarely finds its cause in actual kinetic energy impacting the individual.

Both the causes and responses to emotional pain are observable in the natural world, and both are processed temporally. They're the same thing, you see?

The reason they can still be compared despite being effectively the same thing is that they have different causes. Physical pain is most often caused by a discrete action, whereas emotional pain is caused by a continuous unchangeable characteristic of the social or physical environment. The cause of emotional pain never goes away. That person will always be dead, there will never be an objective point to life, things will always be less than they could be, you will never achieve all your dreams, ideals can by definition never be reached.

In fact, even in a tortuous situation, much of the pain is itself emotional in the knowledge that you'll never be able to escape the physical pain. It becomes a matter of willpower, of 'breaking their spirit' in the words of torturers. Even in that most physically painful of situations, it isn't about physical pain, but emotional strength.

And you lost me...
Feeling actual pain because life is pointless?
Since when does anything ever have a neatly defined 'point' to it anyway?
That's precisely the point.

Heh.

No but really, it is. The problem people have is that there is no point to anything.

Just in case I made it sound like PEOPLE who commit suicide are stupid, let me clarify that I do not.
The ACTION is what I find stupid
I don't think you can distinguish like that. If a person takes a 'stupid' action, whatever that's even supposed to mean, they are a stupid person. I don't think a 'stupid' action can exist independently of a stupid person or persons. In the same way you can't have a dent without a surface or a smile without a face.

First world problems much?
Yes, that was an example I thought you'd be able to relate to, seeing as you're from the first world. Pointing out that an example is narrow in scope does not undermine the principal it's trying to get across. There is no flaw here despite the implication of your question.

And, actually, having been to a few developing countries, I can tell you that their reasons for depression are not that different to ours. They are perhaps more fundamental sometimes, but then fundamentality can only be judged in relation to social circumstances.

I'll have to see if I can find out how this works at another time, maybe something will change.
Should do. I've a more practiced empathetic mind due to my familial circumstances, which is why I can spout off and speculate motivations like this despite not being much older than you.

And in the end you'd be experiencing the emotional pain BECAUSE of physical pain anyway, just not your own.
That's wrong. Each independent experience of pain is a discreet entity. A husband killing himself because his wife died because she was hit by a car does not equate to the husband dying because he was hit by a car. His pain is entirely emotional. Her pain was entirely physical (if it was quick).

Physical pain can cause emotional pain which may cause something else, but that doesn't mean it is the proximate cause of that something else.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
TacticalAssassin1 said:
smithy_2045 said:
Emotional, by far. It's much easier to find the root cause of physical pain and fix it.
Physical pain may be easier to stop but that's not the question.
Would you rather be shut in a dungeon with insults blasted in your ears 24/7 or be thrown in some shithole where a dude drills your teeth out with a rusty drill? I think I'd go with the insults.
Less be insulted and more watch everyone you ever loved be brutally murdered in front of you while you're blamed for each and every death while the person you're madly in love with gets incessantly raped.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Having not really experienced any extreme of either I have no real opinion on the subject.

Also drugs can fix both kinds of pain! Sometimes a little more permanently than intended! :D

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
TacticalAssassin1 said:
smithy_2045 said:
Emotional, by far. It's much easier to find the root cause of physical pain and fix it.
Physical pain may be easier to stop but that's not the question.
Would you rather be shut in a dungeon with insults blasted in your ears 24/7 or be thrown in some shithole where a dude drills your teeth out with a rusty drill? I think I'd go with the insults.
Exactly. It's not about how easily it can be fixed, but how bad it is when it's happening. I'd much rather be crying my eyes out than have someone burning them out with a blowtorch.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Emotional pain. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, so physical pain for me is like: OW, oh well. Emotional pay is a ***** to get rid of though. It just keeps hurting and hurting and hurting. It's like the energizer bunny.

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
Anyone who hasn't lost someone they care about doesn't know what emotional pain is. It will stay with you for the rest of your life. It gets better, but it's always there.

That being said, I've never been tortured. I don't know what the extremes of physical pain are, but if I had the choice, I'd choose physical pain over losing someone.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
All the people in this thread who have just had a break up will say the latter and all those who've just had a broken leg will say the former.

They both suck, let's leave it at that.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Emotional Pain. Physical pain is can be a nuisance, but to feel emotional pain so great that I over sleep on purpose so I don't have to deal with the emptiness of the real world is an entirely different level of agony.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
SoulSalmon said:
Rarely does anyone experience anything that should be traumatic enough to be emotionally scarring, short of having every person you've ever loved being skinned and in immense pain right in front of your eyes, and then learning that it's your fault, you shouldn't HAVE any emotional pain.
That bolded bit... just what do you mean by that??
Was just trying to make the situation seem worse, feel free to ignore that part if you wish.

I was trying to add insult to the scenario, having the above happen would be shattering yet made worse if you discovered that it was directly because of your own actions that everyone you loved was tortured.
A guilt trip on top of trauma essentially.

SckizoBoy said:
Perhaps I'm a complete wuss because I broke down in tears when I found out my child never drew breath.
I think this is where one of the problems is coming from...
Every single person in this thread has a different idea of what 'emotional pain' is...

Having emotions doesn't make anyone a 'wuss', it's more then understandable that you'd feel that way, my almost-sister was stillborn so I'm not totally foreign to it.
But the people in this thread saying "My girlfriend broke up with me and now i am teh sad, its wurse then physical pain because it emotionally scarred me for lief" ARE being wusses in my opinion... and those were the people my first post was mainly geared towards.

I'm probably done with this thread, I've already started repeating myself.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Physical is worse as that takes time to heal. Emotional is just about getting your head straight.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
To me it's kinda odd. I think emotional is worst but if given the choice, I'd rather take an emotional beating than a physical one.