Poll: Planetscape: Torment or Baldur's Gate 2?

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
I am in the mood for a old-school rpg. I haven't played either of these and have heard good things about both. I am a big fan of fantasy rpg's and I have heard good things about both of these.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Planescape: Torment has a really good story going for it, and an awesome setting, but that's about all it has going for it. The gameplay is kind of boring compared to some of the other CRPG's released around that time and the game takes awhile to get going. Baldur's Gate 2 has the whole package on the other hand. The story is good, the gameplay is good and it's a pretty huge game. I'd recommend Baldur's Gate 2, but Planescape is still definitely worth playing.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Both are good, but Planescape is more about story.

Baldur's Gate is a VERY slow burner (so don't give up on it early into the game), but it has far more balance between gameplay and story, and you can get really engrossed into both the lore and the gameplay.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
endtherapture said:

Baldur's Gate is a VERY slow burner (so don't give up on it early into the game), but it has far more balance between gameplay and story, and you can get really engrossed into both the lore and the gameplay.
I have a lot of patience. It took me months to beat da:eek:. Also I would like a game to last me a while.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
The_Lost_King said:
endtherapture said:

I have a lot of patience. It took me months to beat da:eek:. Also I would like a game to last me a while.
Well BG2 is going to last you ages, if you do all the sidequests.

It is a really slow burner, the plot is revealed REALLY slowly, like you'll get maybe 5% of plot every 5-10 hours or something, in contast to DA:O which you're constantly getting fed new plot information.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Baldur's Gate is easier to get into, but you need to play both if you enjoy one.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Well best thing about the question is that you can't lose. Both are excellent games in their own right.

I selected BG2 for the poll as its my personal favourite game but if you go with Planescape you'll get a good game anyway (and you can play the other afterwards anyway).

Well I assume you mean Planescape rather than Planetscape, I wont mock you for that incorrect T as I remember doing the exact same mistake many years ago.

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
How does one choose between two masterpieces? I'd suggest both if possible, but if you must do one or the other then I'd go with Baldur's Gate 2 first. As some have said, it's a better game mechanically, with combat being shedloads more fun than Planescape's, while also having a good storyline(also, I LOVE the world's visual design).
Also, if you played Planescape first you might be disappointed by the fact that your attributes are almost purely for the mechanics in BG2. By this I mean that dialogue options are often just a case of choosing the right answer rather than "I've got X intellgence, and so I know the answer to this question", whereas in Planescape your attributes can add entire dialogue lines

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
The_Lost_King said:
I am in the mood for a old-school rpg. I haven't played either of these and have heard good things about both. I am a big fan of fantasy rpg's and I have heard good things about both of these.
It all depends on your taste and mood.

If you want to immerse yourself into a extremely well made character, pick Planescape: Torment.

If you want to live out your own journey with more freedom, pick Baldurs Gate 2.

And for the love of god, play the other one when you finish the first!

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Xaio30 said:
And for the love of god, play the other one when you finish the first!
Exactly, it's not like they're mutually exclusive.

Well, the world in PS: T is much more immersive, it has its own encyclopaedia, even. BG lets you have more freedom and there's more combat in it, but seriously even if I favor PS: T between these two, there's a certain Beholder in BG2 that you simply can't miss. Trust me, one of the best RPG scenes ever. And then in ToB, too.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I prefer BG2, Planescape has a few, not bugs I guess, but design flaws that caused me to have to look up the walkthrough. Like doors that are hidden behind the foreground and just things like that.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
The_Lost_King said:
Easy. Planescape. Baldur's Gate 2 is great to replay over and over and over again (just finished a run-through with a mate, in fact), but if you've never played it, Planescape just needs to be played. The story is too compelling to miss.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
:p Anyone else notice that the OT misspelled Planescape in the Title, Poll Title, and Poll option? Heh heh, just being a dick.

Anyways, my vote goes for Planescape...always had a LOT more fun with that game than the BG games. Not that the BG games were bad, I just preferred the world of PS.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Baldurs gate all the way, one of my favourite games of all time. You can sink so many hours into it and then just do another playthrough, and another. and another......

:3

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
I voted for BG2. PS Torment has a great story but the UI and gameplay seemed a little outdated even when a played it several years ago. You also have to read a lot of text to understand the story and it is not as much combat oriented as people usually think. I like the analogy that PS torment is like a great book and Baldurs Gate is like a great D&D campain. Baldurs Gate 2 is much more easy to access game so I have to recommend it even though both titles are worth playing even now.

Also maybe you should start with first baldurs gate game as BG2 basically continues the story and makes a lot of references to the first game. BG1 is not as polished as its sequel but there are mods that can fix that.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
*Both*

Play them both man, do not deny yourself the pleasure.

Although be sure to get the widescreen/high res mods for them or else its actually painful to play them on modern flatscreen monitors.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Both are great story and character wise. Planescape has a clunky combat system but I found it easier to get into than BG. BG is based quite tightly on D&D rules and is noticeably slow in the beginning. Might want to start with BG2 as it's not quite as archaic as the first game. Unless you're into this kind of thing, of course.
Overall I found PS:T more enjoyable but in the end both games are more than worth your time.