Poll: Poll: Have you ever shot a gun? (Also note which country you live in)

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
Frankster said:
cubikill said:
Viruzzo said:
snip
Just to add my 2 cents: yup, less guns for the population means a rise in knife crime ( and in uk its rather hard for criminals to get guns, not to mention it would be a STUPID thing to do, it would guarantee the police would focus all their efforts on you because you would be the most dangerous gang/person around) but it's still preferable to making guns freely available.

If everyone was allowed to carry a gun, I'd feel the need to arm myself since I'd litterally be outgunned by possibly every stranger I meet and more or less at the mercy of any idiot/drunk person/ crazy peeps that decides to use their gun on me.

I don't fear knives as much. I've been attacked by knives twice (london isnt what it used to be), but succesfully defended myself both times (though not without scratches). At least with knives I can kinda defend myself unarmed, or run away. I can't do either of those if the other guy has a gun.

I'm honestly terrified of ever visiting the USA simply because of the gun mentality :S
I understand that, my point was violent people are going to find a way to be violent. And that you shouldn't punish vast majority of people who use guns responsibly by banning them because a small minority use them in crime. Also you really shouldn't worry about visiting because of guns, rather you should be terrified by the Southerns and Texans.

Cryogaijin

May 13, 2010
Silva said:
It generally saddens me that guns are so well-loved by the members of this forum. It now makes sense why The Escapist can have a National Rifle Association member writing articles with a clear pro-gun tone without getting castigated, or even really criticised, for it.
Why? Why should they be castigated/criticized/censored for it? What is it that scares you about guns? They're a TOOL. Nothing more. Do nailguns scare you? They're quite dangerous as well, and are easy to misuse.

Do cars scare you? They pack hundreds of times the energy that guns do. Having someone lose control of their car and plow through a saturday market causes just as much damage as a spree shooter can.

What sort of shooting do you object to? Criminal shooting only, that is a result of .01% of gun owners out there? And usually the illegal ones anyhow?

I own 8 guns that I've never fired at anything other than paper or clay targets. One of those guns I carry with me when I am out in the Alaska Bush in bear country. Because I LOVE wildlife photography. And only an idiot goes out in the Alaska Bush without bear protection.

I can understand people being nervous about gun owners, but the guns themselves are JUST TOOLs.

Tribar42

Jan 14, 2010
Yes, it was a M1903 Springfield Rifle with live ammo at a shooting range when I was in Boy Scouts. The rifle is owned by the shooting range manager so my poll would be other? I do own two Springfield Model 1865 never fired them though. Also have fired a shotgun no clue what model. I live in the US as OP asked

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Cryogaijin said:
Silva said:
It generally saddens me that guns are so well-loved by the members of this forum. It now makes sense why The Escapist can have a National Rifle Association member writing articles with a clear pro-gun tone without getting castigated, or even really criticised, for it.
Why? Why should they be castigated/criticized/censored for it? What is it that scares you about guns? They're a TOOL. Nothing more. Do nailguns scare you? They're quite dangerous as well, and are easy to misuse.

Do cars scare you? They pack hundreds of times the energy that guns do. Having someone lose control of their car and plow through a saturday market causes just as much damage as a spree shooter can.

What sort of shooting do you object to? Criminal shooting only, that is a result of .01% of gun owners out there? And usually the illegal ones anyhow?

I own 8 guns that I've never fired at anything other than paper or clay targets. One of those guns I carry with me when I am out in the Alaska Bush in bear country. Because I LOVE wildlife photography. And only an idiot goes out in the Alaska Bush without bear protection.

I can understand people being nervous about gun owners, but the guns themselves are JUST TOOLs.
I was going to quote that guy and ask him pretty much exactly the same thing, but looks like you beat me to the punch. Nice work.

As long as gun users are safe and responsible with their firearms I see no reason why anyone should be saddened by gun enthusiasts, and their choice of hobby.

We dont go pestering Golfers by telling them that a golf club is a very dangerous item that could be used to bludgeon someone to death, so why cant us shooters be left alone? :(

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
I never have. I never want to. Firearms make me very nervous and uncomfortable. But, since i'm from Romania, that's not much of a problem. Almost noone here owns a gun, except for law enforcement and the army.

hcig said:
now in a world where you cant legally own a gun (remember, he owns guns obtained illegally, because he doesnt care about the law) he now has free range for a killing spree, the cops
i prefer a world where i never have to use my gun, but since that world is impossible, i like to think that its better to go your whole life without drawing you weapon, than to not have it when its needed.
I don't think such a world is impossible, but i agree it's very, very hard to achieve. I think it's worth it to try though, as such a world might be superior to this one on that alone.

sniper9474

Sep 3, 2008
Put down as comabt senario, it was on an army range, which meant it was an army weapon, lent to the Air Cadets.

Live in Germany, British person though.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I used to shoot often when I was younger (I used to live in more rural areas of New York), but now I don't have as much of an opportunity to do so. I'm more of a bow person anyway.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Silva said:
Well I for one agree with you. I find this glamorizing of guns disturbing. They don't seem to be mere tools the way some here talk about them.

And for someone whos unarmed and forced to rely on their wits, the prospect of being around those who own a gun, let alone loads of them like some posters here, is a disturbing one.
And YES, cars, powertools, anything that can be used to kill or hurt instantly makes me uneasy, ive had some close calls in my life and im always wary of the possible danger that comes from a stranger being that much more better armed then me.

cubikill said:
Frankster said:
cubikill said:
Viruzzo said:
snip
snippy
Also you really shouldn't worry about visiting because of guns, rather you should be terrified by the Southerns and Texans.
Duly noted. If I do cross the big pond, I'll stay in the north for sure. The redneck stereotype of "we dont take kindly to your kind around here" is a worrying one, especially as I have the kind of english accent the brit bad guys tend to have in american patriotic films ><

Blackmagic1515

Jul 6, 2009
Several times. Very old rifles from the second world war. Can't remember the names of them though. That was with my old cadet unit.

Nick31091

Nov 21, 2009
As a World War II reenactor, yes, I have shot my M-1 Carbine and have done rifle qualification with an M-1 Garand. I shoot blank cartridges far more often then live rounds though.

Oh, I live in the U.S. in California (which probably has some of the strictest gun laws of the 50 states)

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
JWAN said:
If your going to get a Springfield XD get it in 40S&W, its just a superior cartridge.
Well, I really like that fact the the XDm 9mm has a 19 round mag. Besides, I just found out they are going to be announcing a XDm .45 ACP soon, so I'm go probably going to end up getting that instead.

Of course this is all a pipe dream anyway. I won't have the money for any new guns for quite some time.

Cryogaijin

May 13, 2010
There are a couple issues in the "gun debate" that I think get glossed over.

"Gun Grabbers" as the pro-gun people like to call the antis, generally tend to lump all gun owners together rather than looking at the risk factors. You are far more likely to be shot with certain classes of weapons, and generally not the ones that get legislated against.

"Gun nuts" as the anti-gun people like to call the pros, tend to not want to compromise at all. They refuse to help in any sort of legislation that will limit their right to own any firearm they want, and tend to minimize the aspect of "when things go wrong".

I've lived in both societies, very anti-gun, very pro-gun, and shades in between. I also tend to do my research, which neither side really likes to do. The facts, as I've learned them:
1. The majority of gun-crimes are perpetrated by small, easy to conceal handguns.
2. The majority of gun accidents are the result of negligence or alcohol.
3. The majority of gun legislation is written by people that don't understand firearms sufficiently to write good legislation about them.
4. The larger and more cumbersome the weapon, the less likely it is to be used in a crime.
5. When large, cumbersome weapons ARE used in a crime, they get undue media attention.
6. There are 300 million+ functioning firearms in the US. Any gun legislation needs to take this into account.
7. There are 4 major classes of firearms, and each class can be broken down into numerous subclasses. The major classes are: Handguns, shotguns, rifles, and black-powder/historic. Handguns breaks down to revolvers, automatics, single shot, and SMGs. Shotguns break down to single shot, two barrel, pump/lever/bolt action, and semi-auto. (There are full auto shotguns, but they're fairly rare, and their advantage over semi-auto is dubious.) Rifles break down to: single shot, bolt/lever/pump action, semi-auto, military grade, and full auto.

The most common firearms used in crime are revolvers and automatic handguns. Virtually anything else used is an outlier, statistically speaking. The most common firearms for accidents are also handguns, but there is much more representation of the other firearms in the accident catagory. Most accidents harm the weilder and no one else.

Most of the firearms horror stories (Sniper in a bell tower, assault rifle rampage through a mall, toddler getting hands on parent's handgun) are vanishingly rare. Some of the firearms horror stories (Sniper rifle shooting through multiple brick walls of a school, .50 sniper rifle shooting down airliners, .50 being used for ANY CRIME AT ALL) are simply wives tales. (I find the whole .50 hate offensive. As mentioned above, .50bmg rifles have never been used in a crime in the US that I've been able to find. yet they are banned by name in at least two states.)

Risk factors for firearms:
1. Size. Within reason, the smaller a firearm is, the more concealable it is, the more likely it is to be used in a crime.
2. Capacity. The more rounds a firearm can fire without reloading, the more damage it can do when it is used in a crime.
3. Ease of reloading. Capacity doesn't matter all that much if you can slap a new magazine in the gun in under a second.
4. Alcohol. Guns and alcohol don't mix.
5. Power of the cartridge. The stronger the round is, the more likely there will be collateral damage. Rifle rounds are orders of magnitude stronger than handgun rounds, and most rifle rounds can kill at huge distances.
6. Design of the bullet: Frangible/deforming rounds are far more dangerous than solids. . . however solids penetrate far more. Frangible/deforming rounds are illegal in many areas.
7. Storage. Guns should not be stored "ready" unless in safes designed specifically for the purpose. All guns should be locked up in some manner in storage. Ammunition should be stored away from firearms, and in fireproof containers (I use army surplus ammo tins. .50c for a vaccuum sealed metal box that will hold 600 rounds of .45acp or 400 of 7.62x51? yes please)
8. Training. No one should ever touch a gun if they don't know the 4 rules of firearms safety.

The rules are, for people unfamilier:

A) All guns are always loaded!
B) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
C) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
D) Always be sure of your target! (and the area behind your target)

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Qualified sharpshooter in the Navy. Last time I fired was in the middle of the ocean, at night, on rough seas. Lowlight quals are tricky.

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
Frankster said:
Silva said:
Well I for one agree with you. I find this glamorizing of guns disturbing. They don't seem to be mere tools the way some here talk about them.

And for someone whos unarmed and forced to rely on their wits, the prospect of being around those who own a gun, let alone loads of them like some posters here, is a disturbing one.
And YES, cars, powertools, anything that can be used to kill or hurt instantly makes me uneasy, ive had some close calls in my life and im always wary of the possible danger that comes from a stranger being that much more better armed then me.
No wonder, you live in London. For a second I thought you were an American.

Anyway, in the USA the person that stand in front or back of you in a grocery line might be carrying a conceal weapon. It's not a big deal. I carry a conceal Glock 19 so does all my gun friends.

Wits won't save you from violent criminals. In the move maybe but not in real life. The cops won't save you either as you are well aware. The only person that is responsible for your own personal safety is you and I think we both agree on that.

Ever seen an elderly person beaten to death in a violent crime? It's not pretty. In the USA guns save millions of citizens from violent crimes. These people do not want to be victims of crimes. They refuse too sit down and get rape.

I've google home invasion.
http://www.google.com/search?q=home+invasion+family+die&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

These people got their home invaded and was killed in the process. Beaten to death in most cases. In their home mind you. Where was there wits? Where was the cops? What would have save these people. A gun.

For example this elderly lady refused to be rape and kill in her own home. When the violent criminal broke down her door she start shooting. That save her life.

http://rpginn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1202&Itemid=1

Another example is this rapist that just got out of jail and tried to rape the lady in her home. The only thing that prevented her from getting raped and than killed was a small caliber handgun.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Sammie%20Fousts%20story.rtf

Here is another person minding his own business. Doing his job like any other day and violent criminals show up. He shot the criminal to protect himself. He refuse to be a victim. He defended himself four times.

http://rpginn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1072&Itemid=39

Here is another person that refuse to become a victim.

http://rpginn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=195&Itemid=39

More and more people especially female are arming themselves because the only thing that going to protect them isn't the cops or wits but a firearm.

Wits only work in the movies I'm afraid.