Poll: Poll: How should DayZ servers handle PVP in future?

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
So there I was, about to start work on getting a pickup truck up and running. I had a Crossbow, a 1911 and enough items to remain self-sufficient for quite some time. I'm crawling toward the beat up PoS when suddenly I'm murdered in cold blood by some little shit who wanted to play Rambo. This was the sixth time I'd been dispatched in such a way and I normally wouldn't be so upset about this. However I was on a server that specified no pvp.

This was the most progress I had ever made in the game, I had beaten the average player lifespan by 5 and a half hours and this was the first time I'd held a firearm.

I understand that the bandit lifestyle is a valid form of play in DayZ and I have no quarrel with it so long as it remains in its place. I wanted to embark on a new experience exploring the possibility of man trying to hold onto his humanity in a post-apocalyptic world. Instead I got the shit murdered out of me by some fucker who's played too much Call of Duty.

Griefing in DayZ and Minecraft is the online equivalent of kicking down a kid's sandcastle. Nobody's impressed and, in the end, nothing is gained. Only a few lines of code get shuffled around.

Anyhoo, what does everybody else think?

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
Well if it is griefers who are rustling your Jimmies then you should either go into offline mode or, host or join a private server if they have them.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
ErwinGodfrey said:
Well if it is griefers who are rustling your Jimmies then you should either go into offline mode or, host or join a private server if they have them.
I don't know how DayZ works, but wouldn't this ^ solve your problems?

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
NightHawk21 said:
ErwinGodfrey said:
I don't know how DayZ works, but wouldn't this ^ solve your problems?
No, unless you had a private server to get into there is no offline mode.

Like the mod maker said, it's up to the players to combat PvP.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well well well, so many pleads for realistic zombie games around here and when you get one game that comes close... "NERF IT NOW!"

You can always make your own server and manage that, doesn't even cost extra, ah the wonders of modern technology.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
From the things I've read about DayZ (haven't had the chance to play it yet), it seems to me that there needs to be something implemented to give players a reason to keep others alive. As it stands now, it seems the only use for other players is to kill on sight for supplies, and so they don't do the same to you.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Don't play it until they add a single player option. That's pretty much all you can do, and that's what I'm doing.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
GiantRaven said:
From the things I've read about DayZ (haven't had the chance to play it yet), it seems to me that there needs to be something implemented to give players a reason to keep others alive. As it stands now, it seems the only use for other players is to kill on sight for supplies, and so they don't do the same to you.
Well, banding together actually does increase your chances of survival. However it also increases the chance of betrayal. Just like real life.

Suki_ said:
That sounds annoying. I can understand the point of having pvp on at all times because it helps with the atmosphere but dam. Im not sure how you could fix the pvp and still keep the game the same.

I just wish they would make this into an actual game. I love the sound of it but I dont own a PC and I despise PC controls for games.
Ha ha ha ha...oh you're serious. Not this generation of consoles, and, if the next box leaks are anything to go by, not next generation. We're talking about Bohemia Interactive here, they care not for console money. Or optimization. I wish the control scheme was better too. ARMA is a...unique experience.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
octafish said:
Or optimization. I wish the control scheme was better too. ARMA is a...unique experience.
Same issues I take with the game's engine. You're right, though, it certainly is an experience.

I chose Flagging for PvP/PvP Server. Why? Well, considering when you're new (I've only been playing a few days and don't know the areas that well yet) and start out with no way to defend yourself, it's kind of frustrating. I'd also rather work with people than have to shoot them, because nine times out of ten they're going to shoot me.

As for the people saying to host a private server, as far as I know that isn't possible. Rocket, the developer, stated that you can not have locked servers. They have to be open to everyone. I can understand that because if you have a locked server, you hop on there with some friends, gear up, and move to a public server and just dominate it with all your fancy toys. The same could be said about PvP servers, and in that case, it could be possible to make pvp characters pvp only. Would that be unfair? Unless the servers are clearly noted, no, if you're a bandit, you're probably not going to care.

That said, I won't hesitate to shoot a foo' if I need some beans and water badly enough.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
PVP has destroyed the zombie aspect of this zombie game, as your main source of deaths will probably be at the hands of players rather than zombies. People very often shoot at sight these days, because everyone does it and there's a huge chance you'll get shot if you don't.

Actual focus on survival, teaming up and communicating with others later on is indirectly discouraged, because instantly killing others and looting them is a lot more beneficial. There are a lot of griefers as well, which fuck up the experience for newbies.

The game has basically turned from a zombie co-op survival game into an MMOFPS.

octafish said:
Well, banding together actually does increase your chances of survival. However it also increases the chance of betrayal. Just like real life.
Problem is the actual banding together. If you come close to someone, chances are you're going to get shot to death for simply being there. Hell, people tested this by playing as unarmed helpful characters that handed out healing items and they still got shot immediately 75% of the time.

Leaving it as it is, is a fucking stupid decision. There is no balance at the moment.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Bandits, they make the game fun, challenging and dangerous.

Why would you wanna get rid of them?

(Me and my group of friends are bandits hehe)

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
I chose leave as it is cause I don't think any of the proposed solutions are very good and the problem isn't the players but the zombies, and the unfinished state of the game.

Zombies are stupid as hell, easy to outsmart/outmaneuver, and hit you for next to nothing (100 or 200 out of 12000 or something like that).

Once you learn where the gear is at it's easy to go for it, and you either get killed quickly by a player, or get the gear within 30min to 1 hour from spawning, and that includes weapons, a backpack and most basic tools.

And if you've made it this far then congrats, zombies are now no longer a threat whatsoever, so it doesn't take long for survival to get boring and most people turn to the obvious, hunting other players.

However I get the feeling that being a mod in alfa/beta (not really sure) state, the zombies are not tuned properly and the AI is very incomplete, if survival was at all hard and stayed that way even after you geared up it would drive people together because it'd be preferable to surviving alone.

I think fixing the AI, fixing the bugs (I currently have a sniper rifle and a pistol with infinite ammo, since u can convert almost spent magazines to be usable in other weapons, then change them back again for a full magazine) and making zombies hit way way harder would be the best solution, or said in another way, finishing the game would fix the problem.

Jowe

May 26, 2010
Voxgizer said:
octafish said:
Or optimization. I wish the control scheme was better too. ARMA is a...unique experience.
Same issues I take with the game's engine. You're right, though, it certainly is an experience.

I chose Flagging for PvP/PvP Server. Why? Well, considering when you're new (I've only been playing a few days and don't know the areas that well yet) and start out with no way to defend yourself, it's kind of frustrating. I'd also rather work with people than have to shoot them, because nine times out of ten they're going to shoot me.

As for the people saying to host a private server, as far as I know that isn't possible. Rocket, the developer, stated that you can not have locked servers. They have to be open to everyone. I can understand that because if you have a locked server, you hop on there with some friends, gear up, and move to a public server and just dominate it with all your fancy toys. The same could be said about PvP servers, and in that case, it could be possible to make pvp characters pvp only. Would that be unfair? Unless the servers are clearly noted, no, if you're a bandit, you're probably not going to care.

That said, I won't hesitate to shoot a foo' if I need some beans and water badly enough.
I learnt most of how to play dayz in the first 3 hours, its not that inconvenient to learn the map, as long as you can read maps etc in real life. Also find people willing to use skype/real-life friends to play with, makes it more personal and less likely for them to betray you. Use VOIP if you have to (caps-lock), but remember that everyone can hear you.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
lRookiel said:

I don't want to get rid of bandits. It's just that the huge benefits to being a bandit (compared to everything else) makes it a very popular play-style. This in turn makes it incredibly dangerous to approach people, let alone team up later in the game, as you have no way of seperating a fellow survivor from a thieving bandit (basically everyone shoots at sight at this point). This results in the majority of players taking up a bandit playstyle and this in turn completely kills a certain aspect of survival and turns the zombie apocalypse into a bandit apocalypse.

It's basically an MMOFPS at this point.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Jowe said:
Voxgizer said:
octafish said:

I learnt most of how to play dayz in the first 3 hours, its not that inconvenient to learn the map, as long as you can read maps etc in real life. Also find people willing to use skype/real-life friends to play with, makes it more personal and less likely for them to betray you. Use VOIP if you have to (caps-lock), but remember that everyone can hear you.
That's an excellent point. The most trouble I've had is learning the areas, but I've taken to looking at a map to figure out my location and learning how to apply it properly. I've also been playing with some real life friends, and it does make it much easier.

On the learning curve, did you happen to be an Arma player before DayZ? Just curious as to if you were, and if it helped at all in DayZ itself.

Captcha - "garden of eden" Guess that explains the outbreak.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
SpaceBat said:
lRookiel said:

I don't want to get rid of bandits. It's just that the huge benefits to being a bandit (compared to everything else) makes it a very popular play-style. This in turn makes it incredibly dangerous to approach people, let alone team up later in the game, as you have no way of seperating a fellow survivor from a thieving bandit. This results in the majority of players taking up a bandit playstyle and this in turn completely kills a certain aspect of survival and turns the zombie apocalypse into a bandit apocalypse.

It's basically an MMOFPS at this point.
I used to play the survivor game, it actually worked a few times too, I remember befriending someone called "Cookiemonstaa" at one point, he was extremely laggy and we just lost eachother after about 20 minutes XD

Rocket aims to help the team building during development. things like less weapons in starting areas and team options will be placed into the game.

Jowe

May 26, 2010
Voxgizer said:
Jowe said:
Voxgizer said:
octafish said:

That's an excellent point. The most trouble I've had is learning the areas, but I've taken to looking at a map to figure out my location and learning how to apply it properly. I've also been playing with some real life friends, and it does make it much easier.

On the learning curve, did you happen to be an Arma player before DayZ? Just curious as to if you were, and if it helped at all in DayZ itself.

Captcha - "garden of eden" Guess that explains the outbreak.
Nope, I only bought arma2:CO recently, about a month ago. I spent most of those three hours complaining about how broken the controls were on skype to my friends :D, and generally getting pissed off at it.
Im used to it now though :)