Poll: Poll: How should DayZ servers handle PVP in future?

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
lRookiel said:
I used to play the survivor game, it actually worked a few times too, I remember befriending someone called "Cookiemonstaa" at one point, he was extremely laggy and we just lost eachother after about 20 minutes XD

Rocket aims to help the team building during development. things like less weapons in starting areas and team options will be placed into the game.
I've been trying to do the same. It's easy to find another beginner and start out for a while, but as soon as you're on your own at any given time, trying to team up became a horrible idea. I've tried it multiple times, got shot every single time except one.

Wouldn't less weapons in starting areas make griefing (going to beginner areas and killing newbies just to spite them. It's quite popular these days) simply that much easier?

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
SpaceBat said:
lRookiel said:
I used to play the survivor game, it actually worked a few times too, I remember befriending someone called "Cookiemonstaa" at one point, he was extremely laggy and we just lost eachother after about 20 minutes XD

Rocket aims to help the team building during development. things like less weapons in starting areas and team options will be placed into the game.
I've been trying to do the same. It's easy to find another beginner and start out for a while, but as soon as you're on your own at any given time, trying to team up became a horrible idea. I've tried it multiple times, got shot every single time except one.

Wouldn't less weapons in starting areas make griefing (going to beginner areas and killing newbies just to spite them. It's quite popular these days) simply that much easier?
Awww shit never thought of that, you are right aswell, the sniper hill in Elektro is a place where I camp to kill player killers (Which kinda makes me that too, but I'm dealing out justice XD)

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Jowe said:
Nope, I only bought arma2:CO recently, about a month ago. I spent most of those three hours complaining about how broken the controls were on skype to my friends :D, and generally getting pissed off at it.
Im used to it now though :)
lol I did the same. "Why the fuck can't I look around with the mouse? What's going on? BLAAAARGH"

The controls and I are on good terms now.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
This is funny because I just bought ARMA 2 and downloaded DayZ yesterday. I've logged a total of 10 minutes into the mod but I have to tell you that the reason I was intrigued by it in the first place was the udder severity of it.

I don't know if it is indeed the case but I bought/DL'd it hoping for a persistent world where if I die I lose everything, and every bullet can be fatal. So just by a friend accidentally mouse clicking I could lose hours of progress.

I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but I hope that that is indeed the 'nature of the beast' so to say.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
GiantRaven said:
From the things I've read about DayZ (haven't had the chance to play it yet), it seems to me that there needs to be something implemented to give players a reason to keep others alive. As it stands now, it seems the only use for other players is to kill on sight for supplies, and so they don't do the same to you.
Well, players do tend to form bands for protection.

All in all, I like it. If you don't, there are other 'safer' zombie games for you to play.

For potential's sake, there needs to be something like this, and it shouldn't be nerfed because this is part of what makes it unique. I feel introducing servers where PvP was impossible would ruin the possibility of finding friendlies, and the overall feel of the game, because those people would be flocking to the safe servers.

All in all, it encourages you to think. Should you go into that big town, or city? There is the risk of bandits.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
lRookiel said:
Awww shit never thought of that, you are right aswell, the sniper hill in Elektro is a place where I camp to kill player killers (Which kinda makes me that too, but I'm dealing out justice XD)
Killing the killers huh? I like it.
How do you differentiate them from other kinds of players though?

Jowe

May 26, 2010
Voxgizer said:
Jowe said:
Nope, I only bought arma2:CO recently, about a month ago. I spent most of those three hours complaining about how broken the controls were on skype to my friends :D, and generally getting pissed off at it.
lol I did the same. "Why the fuck can't I look around with the mouse? What's going on? BLAAAARGH"

Just checking- You know you can use left alt to free look right, not just numpad? :)

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Jowe said:
Voxgizer said:
Jowe said:

Just checking- You know you can use left alt to free look right, not just numpad? :)
I do, but I only learned that a bit earlier today. lol

It'd probably be in my best interest to adopt that, though, as I have a habit of lining up on 5, 6, + on the numpad instead of 4, 5, 6.

Good tip for anyone who doesn't know, though!

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
Isn't DayZ meant to be a realistic apocalypse scenario? How many strangers would you trust when you are fighting ALONE, tooth and nail in a hostile, unforgiving environment?

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
i've never played DayZ, but everything i heard about it tells me it's designed to play like a real zombie apocalypse, and people killing other people simply because they can sounds like it would be commonplace in a zombie apocalypse. i say leave the PvP like it is.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
SpaceBat said:
lRookiel said:
Killing the killers huh? I like it.
How do you differentiate them from other kinds of players though?
Depending on the equipment, if I see a dude in a ghillie suit, sitting above elektro with a big ass sniper rifle I kill them. xD

I hang out in elektro quite alot, I follow these rules:

1: Don't trust anyone with a lee enfield, they will just 1 shot your ass (I love/hate that weapon)
2: If they are russian, kill or be killed...
3: Stay hidden! If you see someone, stay in your hiding spot then try the "Friendly in (Insert place here)?" thing, if there is no response, assume they are hostile
4: People are twitchy in the game as it is, so if you suddenly encounter someone like coming up the stairs or coming into the same room as you (Happens quite often) I would just shoot them since they are probably startled/scared of losing their stuff to the stranger in the same room.

That should help, by the way if you are looking for someone to survive with, I'm down for that :3

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Leave it as it is, if you died you weren't being careful enough. Get over it, shit happens in this game. Killing other players in DayZ is NOT griefing, all they are doing is playing the game the way it was meant to be played. If you really don't like the pvp, play offline or host your own server or something, though that sounds boring as hell, to me what makes the game fun is the threat of other players.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
There is nothing more fun than knocking as guy unconscious, dragging him to an open spot and setting up in a sniper perch and camp him

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I think the reason why people kill so often is because the game is focused around hoarding items. Players have items, zombies don't. Kill players. Seems easy to follow the train of thought. It can't be changed with pvp options, it has to be the mechanics of surviving entirely.

Its a sandbox. The goal is survival by any means necessary. Yes it can be unforgiving but the game isn't about being fair. Not all games are.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Suki_ said:
That sounds annoying. I can understand the point of having pvp on at all times because it helps with the atmosphere but dam. Im not sure how you could fix the pvp and still keep the game the same.

I just wish they would make this into an actual game. I love the sound of it but I dont own a PC and I despise PC controls for games.
Well it is going to be stand alone, but I think it will only be on the pc(This is a guess, not fact). It is still in it's alpha.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
As it is now, it's like EVE Online. If you play the game for PvE, you go into it accepting that PvP can, and will, happen. It also has so many options to befriend, betray, or jsut whaever you want within the PvP because of how open ended and freeform it is. PvP makes the game good, people are the real threat in most good zombie related books, films, etc. But in games it has always been the zombies. But no, DayZ is doing it right, and introducing the people as a threat thing, it's much mroe unpredictable and tense and it just adds so much to the game. It's not you vs. some zombies, it's you vs. the zombie apocalypse and all of the "realistic" dangers that are associated with it.

If somebody honestly thinks running around with friends killing NPC's all day and hoarding loot with no threat of losing at any time unless you fuck up massively, then all I can really say is go play an MMO. You'll love it. Maybe borderlands, if you want a shooter.

Edit becasue I've actually read the post and not just the poll now: As somebody has mentioned already, to survive you need equipment and loot, and the best palce to get that is from loot pinatas. Erm, I meant otehr people who hoarde stuff. Both killing other players or befriending them is a valid way to get access to that stuff, one is a lot safer, killing them, and the other requires trust between both players. So it's a perfectly valid thing to do to survive. On a non PvP server, goodness knows why you'd want to go on a non PvP server but whatever, I can understand your concern more. But in that case it's likely somebody just spamming into any server without reading the name, or somebody intentionally trying to piss people off.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
The only changes to PVP that'd want to see personally are stopping people from alt-f4ing, serverhopping mid fire fight and spawning in next to people and killing them.
And seriously, no matter how empty a server is, always assume there's someone watching the town you're about to loot. Case in point, I was just on a server with 10 people in it, with a friend of mine and about a minute before we were about to call it a night an SUV rolls up to the military tents north of Stary Sobor and 3 people hop out. We killed them, took their car and their loot (they had an m107 too, dunno why he was looting the tents and not in an overwatch position). They didn't check the surrounding area, didn't send a scout, didn't put someone on overwatch, they just waltzed in and assumed it was safe and they paid the price.
Basically just don't do stupid shit like that. if you play by yourself and not with a group then you're going to have a much tougher time since you can't check everywhere and loot at the same time.

1-up

May 12, 2011
Easiest way to make it work I think would be to incorporate some sort of "zombie bounty". In other words, as you kill players you somehow attract the attention of more zombies or more lethal zombies or something like that. Make it permanent and cumulative.

If nothing else it would ensure that the bandits are regularly recycled and it would add a real cost to all the murder.