Poll: Portal Vs Portal 2

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Hard to say... Portal 2 is probably a better game in general, but nothing can replace the feeling of being freshly introduced to the unique gameplay mechanics and dark humor of the first game.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Well both are equally good and you will just LOVE it if you continuously play them , one after the other . It feels like you have played one complete game which is just feels perfect in every way imaginable.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I like Portal 2, it takes what made Portal great and improved it in every way. Especially the writing was funny. Also i enjoyed it so much i played and completed it in 2 player on my own just to see if i could. I tell you, there are some points in that game where juggling two joypads is difficult. lol

Valve my make Portal 3.....do it NOW.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Portal was incredibly tightly designed, and was overall, more memorable and unique. For me, it's just better.

Portal 2 was longer, and had it's fair share of ups and downs, but was still a great game. It's weaker because I can barely recall anything from the game, and it doesn't have nearly as many stand-out moments as P1.

It's the Anchorman vs Anchorman 2 debate. Both are incredibly funny films in their own regard, but the first one will always stand out more.

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
I'm gonna paraphrase JonTron's view on Banjo Kazooie:

"The second one is bigger, better designed, there's more to it; it's everything a squeal should be. But I like the first one more."

The first one was just such a surprise, and as OP said, just as long as it needed to be. Portal 2 was very good, and on paper better than the first, but I still like the original better.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
GLaDOS was superior in Portal 1, but everything else about Portal 2 was better. More characters, all equally funny. More puzzles, better puzzles. More varied environments. And I felt it still maintained...perhaps even improved on...the first game's haunting sense of isolation and sinister/melancholy undertones.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Where's the option for liking them both equally? I don't think I could choose one of them, because I loved different things about each of them.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Bara_no_Hime said:
I'm sorry I can't hang on the side of a portal, push a button, and create a new portal all in the same half-second - it basically broke the game for me, and I could never finish Portal 1 (to my great sadness).
That you were trying to do this is probably why you had so much trouble with Portal. There isn't any moment when you have to create another portal while standing half in an already formed portal. Actually, I'm not even sure it's even possible to jump far enough out of a wall mounted portal to be allowed to make a new portal while still landing back inside the portal. There are a couple times when you have to move through a portal from a moving platform onto the same moving platform, but you don't have to chain portals to do it. Also, I found that most puzzles that can be solved using twitch reflexes can also be solved in a different manner with a slower and more careful approach.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
That you were trying to do this is probably why you had so much trouble with Portal. There isn't any moment when you have to create another portal while standing half in an already formed portal. Actually, I'm not even sure it's even possible to jump far enough out of a wall mounted portal to be allowed to make a new portal while still landing back inside the portal. There are a couple times when you have to move through a portal from a moving platform onto the same moving platform, but you don't have to chain portals to do it. Also, I found that most puzzles that can be solved using twitch reflexes can also be solved in a different manner with a slower and more careful approach.
Yeah, no.

It's one of the later areas where you fire off one of those glowy death balls that can power things. You press the button to fire the glowy thing (which you can only access while hanging in mid-air out of a portal) and then have to redirect the portals INSTANTLY to redirect the glowy death ball to where you want it (instead of having it hit you in the back because you're standing in the portal) without it hitting a wall (which instantly destroys it, preventing a wall-bounce loop).

When I couldn't clear the area, I went online and looked up video walkthroughts.

Every. Single. One. Showed that as the solution.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I think both of them are excellent games, but I think Portal 1 is the better game on the whole because it's more focused. Not a single moment of that game is wasted and the story is woven into the game so perfectly. GLaDOS is an incredibly engrossing character and the level design's design to fit the puzzles is sub lime. Plus I actually like that the difficulty curve is actually somewhat slow moving and methodical whereupon the last half of the game is all fast movements and has extremely good pacing.

Portal 2 is also brilliant, but I feel like it's too busy making nudge wink references to the first one. I mean, it's cool that we visit the old facility, but did we have to do the first five tests again to understand that it's been a while since the first game? No, I don't think so. GLaDOS, while still a nice character, has had her original charm replaced with a more jokey persona (though the tragedy of her creation is really well done). Plus it does the game camera angle but you don't have control thing constantly, whereas in Portal 1 it only happened once when the game was patched to prepare for Portal 2. It's less focused, but still finely crafted, and I love both of them.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Bara_no_Hime said:
Yeah, no.

It's one of the later areas where you fire off one of those glowy death balls that can power things. You press the button to fire the glowy thing (which you can only access while hanging in mid-air out of a portal) and then have to redirect the portals INSTANTLY to redirect the glowy death ball to where you want it (instead of having it hit you in the back because you're standing in the portal) without it hitting a wall (which instantly destroys it, preventing a wall-bounce loop).

When I couldn't clear the area, I went online and looked up video walkthroughts.

Every. Single. One. Showed that as the solution.
Is this the part you're talking about? Because this is the only part of the game I can think of where a button is suspended in the air and accessible only to portal. If it is, then while the section does require speed, it certainly doesn't require the player to be half in a portal the whole time.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
The first, both where really good but the humour didn't really work for me all the time in the second, the puzzles where easier and it kind dragged out too long.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I'd have to replay both of them to know for sure so I didn't bother voting.

I want to say I preferred Portal 2 better but over time I only really remember story events of the original.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Definitely Portal 2, it took everything that made the original amazing and built on it. I found just about everything said was funny, my sister and I frequently quote GLaDOS' lines to each other. It was also really good how it included some new mechanics like the gels to stop it being too much of the same thing. My friends have all played it too so it was cool to see which puzzles my friends got stuck on because each of them got frustrated by different ones.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Portal 1 and 2 are the few games left made by Valve I haven't burned out on. Can't decide really.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I really enjoy how the poll is so close together.

Both are great. I like Portal 2 for the length, atmosphere, and how much further they go with the portals. I like Portal 1 because the puzzles are almost purely portal-oriented, no messing around with goo or anti-gravity, and I very much like the story as "It's a test course, nothing else to it" until it ended.

I prefer Portal 2 most because of the length, the environments, and the characters. Shame that the maps are so tiny and loading screens are everywhere.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Portal 2 because Cave Johnson.

I absolutely loved the original Portal but the world felt a little deserted and wasn't really given enough context/ backstory. Portal 2 made up for that in heaps with a couple of excellent new characters and a huge amount of excellently written and performed dialogue which actually served a more informative role as well as being genuinely hilarious. Cave Johnson's 'lemons' monologue is still my favourite monologue from any video game character ever and he isn't even onscreen for it.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
The original was perfect- it was a brilliant puzzle game which also contained hilarious comedy and a plot that was all the more stunning for being completely unexpected, as if Dr Wright from the SNES version of SimCity suddenly started plotting to overthrow you and turn your city into a fascist state.

The sequel, while a perfectly competent game, didn't have the same razor focus, nor the same impact. Rather than a puzzle game laced with brilliant comedy, it was a comedy adventure game with a heavy emphasis on puzzles. It was funny, sure, often hilarious, but it was like the difference between going to see a genius stand-up comedian perform and going to see a comedy movie with the same stand-up comedian playing the lead role. Also, the puzzles, I just have to say, weren't as good.

Both games are brilliant of course, but I'd call the sequel a 9/10 and the original a perfect 10/10.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I voted Portal just because Portal 2 felt like it was spread a bit too thin. I know people like to talk about hours spent vs dollars spent when assessing the worth of a game but I feel like Portal 2 would've been much more enjoyable if they cut out all the fat and made it about half as long (or maybe two thirds as long). I did enjoy all of the characterisation, maybe just get rid of all of the wandering around bleak areas looking for the next portalable surface.