Poll: Prefered Gender: RPGs

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I play both about even, mostly because I like to design and think up personalities for both. The first character I make is always male, but sometimes i end up playing a female more.

Beero

Oct 17, 2009
My first playthrough i usually use a male character, which is my own gender. After the first playthrough,i might make a female character.

Scythax

Nov 23, 2009
I've always played as male characters in games. Not really sure why, I guess I just identify with them better and prefer how gear looks on them. *shrug*
Only time I've ever played a female character in a game was Fable 2 on my second run through, since males no matter what you do end up looking REALLY fat, I tried the female instead. Result? They look manlier than the men, and not fat.
That's the only time I've ever played a female. I have no problem at all with games where the main character is female though, just that when given the choice I go male without even thinking about it.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
i believe this question was asked 2 months ago...

ot: male playthrough 1 female plathrough 2 and 3

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
I play as my own gender, unless the gender is restricted in classes. Such as in 2moons, where you had to be female to be a healer/archer.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
WinterSoldier said:
Male who plays as a female.

It makes me feel pretty.

(I could give a real reason but somehow I can't think of one right now. xD)
It's the same for me. I play games to escape from the real world. I'm a guy in the real world so it makes sense.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I generally balance it out. In games like WoW and Dragon Age: Origins, it's interesting to take the female characters. In WoW, a lot of the less mature people will fawn over you, whereas the more mature ones will treat you just like anyone, and in Dragon Age, the love subplots make things much more interesting as a female than they do for a male. Just depends on the game and how much it's going to matter, though.

Aug 25, 2009
I pretty much exclusively play as female (I'm a guy, really, don't let the long hair fool you). I usually have maybe one play through as a guy in order to make sureI've done everything that can be done, but I much prefer playing as female characters.

A lot of it comes from my love of writing female characters, and since I use RPGs as a kind of base format for writing ideas, it us makes sense. As to why I like writing female characters, that's probably something deeply Freudian.

MimsySnark

Cat's Meow
Jan 18, 2010
I'm a female who usually plays as a male the first time playing any game, then I'll try out a female. I like to immerse myself in the "fantasy" aspect of being someone I'm not. And especially in MMOs, I like subverting people's expectations when they see my character. Like in WoW I play a fat squat male dwarf, and I get a kick out of other players' assuming I'm a guy and addressing me as such.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Lessee... Definitely a balance. I prefer playing a male charrie for the first playthrough (as I am a guy), and then a female charrie on the second playthrough... then whatever the heck I feel like after, but this isn't always true. On ME1 I was a MaleShep first, but on ME2 I was FemShep. Oblivion I started out as a female orc, but in Dragon Age I was a male warrior. My choice is basically at whim, with a rule to do the opposite gender after my first playthrough.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
I play as a male most times, but I occasionally sample playing as a female. But most times, I don't like playing as a female because I cannot completely relate to them.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
I like to balance it out because on some RPGs how the game plays for one gender is different than the other gender,but I mostly play as a male.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I play as a male character in 90% of my games.The only games I have played as female were the ones which "forced" me too such as Heretic Kingdoms.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Anticitizen_Two said:
Seeing as I normally play older RPGs with multiple non customizable player characters, I like to play as a balance of both. For instance, I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger, so I'm playing as four guys (one of which is a frog and one of which is a robot) and three girls.
Chrono Trigger rules. Still! :D

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Usually I play as my own gender (male). Old habbit I suppose. But when I got Dragon Age, I decided I was going to do something completely diffrent for my first play through. I made a female dwarven noble warrior. I think that made the whole experience all the more worthwile.