Poll: Preorders... Why?

CroutonsOfDeath

Jan 14, 2009
I only pre-order now if I am getting a collectors edition (A Genuine one, not one that just comes with some extra-DLC.) or if there is a pre-order perk I genuinely find tantalizing, so long as they don't charge extra for that perk. But even then, pre-ordering is less relevant so I do it much less. In the digital era, we have amazon for Console Games and Steam and other digital services for PC games. I love Steam because I hate discs of any kind so if Steam is an option and there isn't a cool collector's edition tantalizing me (Like the New Vegas collectors edition which I had to nab physically.) I get it on Steam and what is the point of pre-ordering on Steam or other digital distribution services? I still do it sometimes for the free perks, and because I like all my purchases to be together and if I'm nabbing a couple games off Steam I might pre-order one solely so I don't have to pay for it in 2 weeks but even then that is rare. But I never pre-order in brick and mortar stores with Amazon, which doesn't risk running out of stock or handing your pre-order away. You ask for day 1 shipping, you get your game day 1 - the only drawback is sometimes you gotta wait till like 3 in the afternoon for the UPS guy to get to your house despite you only living 1 block away from the main UPS warehouse and it left for delivery at 2:00 am. Plus without the worry of running out of stock as fast as a store might, I rarely need to pre-order on Amazon in any case. I just order whenever I want.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
If I like the series, or the premise of the game, if I like and trust the developers, and if I think it'll be worth paying a full $60 for (I'm not a very wealthy person), then I'll pre-order. I get a nice little bonus, and the assurance that the game is there. I did it with Catherine (for the free swank), doing if for Battlefield 3 (might be out of stock), and I'm going to do it for Mass Effect 3, Aliens Colonial Marines, and Far Cry 3 all because I like those franchises and think the games are looking pretty good. Coming from a guy who will usually wait a year for a game to inevitably drop down at least half of its original price, a pre-order means I expect high things from them.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Well, when you pre-order things on Steam, they're often cheaper than they would otherwise be at launch. I pre-ordered Portal 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i pre ordered Golden Sun: The Lost Age and was told i'd get a phone call when they had one for me. i'm still waiting for that call. that was the first and last thing i pre-ordered. may pre-order something if i REALLY want it and doing so would get me some cool extra stuff but that's it

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
zelda2fanboy said:
I am talking about in store pre orders, not online orders, which are essentially "orders." Your getting the game early is most likely an accident and if gamestop knew that it was arriving before your region's release date, they would probably put a stop to it.

Also, have you seen this story yet?
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/from-software-s-unique-punishment-for-players-who-broke-dark-souls-street-date
That story didn't really have anything to do with my order of Dark Souls. I have not got my hands on the game before September 22nd, which is the first official release date of Dark Souls. I play on PS and the games are region free. Once a game has had its first official release date I am allowed to purchase it. If I spoke or understood Japanese I could have ordered that version of the game. Sending infinite amounts of Black Phantoms after me for having pre-ordered a game would be cruel. Funny as hell, but cruel.

The game is out, already in US and Japan. Here it will be in stores on Friday. My copy has been dispatched today and will be at my doorstep tomorrow. It's a pre-order and has been shipped the same time as it would be for stores. What kind of pre-order is sent on the same day as it would be in stores? As far as I know the pre-order games are sent before the release date so you have the game on the release day. I know that the shop I order from has fast delivery and to my joy on my account the game shows as shipped.

And my pre-order of Dark Souls wasn't from Gamestop, only ACR is. I tried to have those two games separate on my post. And I consider any order that has been ordered before the release date to be a pre-order. Maybe that's were we're getting the difference of an opinion.

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
I pre-ordered The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I mostly did it so I could get the gold Wiimote+ bundled with it for an extra $20. I have a couple of the motion plus attachments, but I hate using them because they feel weird due to the extra size.

I've also pre-ordered Crysis 2 because it automatically upgraded to a special package on steam.

I mostly preorder for bonuses and knowing that I don't have to pay later.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
It fuels the hype campaign, mostly. It creates a feeling that there are limited supplies (there aren't) which creates demand. It also helps to let Gamestop know how many copies to order before launch day, and get an idea of future sales figures.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Only game I pre-ordered in forever is Dark Souls. My fancy shmancy Collectors Edition was worth it.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
zelda2fanboy said:
Its interesting that your name on here is Zelda, because that's the only game I'm planning on pre-ordering in the near future. The reason is simple: I want the limited edition controller, just because it's gold and I'm a sucker for gold Zelda-themed shit, and it comes with the anniversary soundtrack.

Gamestop thinks that you and I are suckers. They've failed to hold games and systems before when they've been pre-ordered, they occasionally tamper with products and then re-seal the packaging, and with every visit they try to sell us those bullshit cards that we'd have to dump literally hundreds of dollars into just to "save" a few bucks. They offer the most bullshit exclusive pre-order content ever. Skins that no one cares about and cheats (adult gamers do not care about cheats). Of course no developer is going to exclude all of the savvy, intelligent consumers who don't shop at Gamestop from content they value. It is always throwaway content. I've always preordered at a place like Best Buy; if you have a good relationship with a Mom-and-Pop then they might be your best bet if you actually want to preorder something. If you pick up Zelda in the first week, though, you probably won't have to worry too much about finding a copy. That won't be the case when the Wii U comes out.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Sometimes if I really want the game of if there is a really interesting preorder bonus. I haven't done it as much lately though.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
I will preorder on steam if i care enough. I rarely buy games from stores anymore so its never an issue for me

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
As well as if I really want to play the game, and to get my hands on it as soon as I can, I tend to also pre-order because:

-I genuinely want the company to get a fair bit of money from me (it sounds silly, but for every Fable title before number three I just borrowed them off my friend, felt kind of guilty)

-There's something genuinely unique and awesome that you get as a pre-order bonus

-Usually in Australia even the big retailers (especially big retailers, mostly JB hi-fi) honour pre-orders above all, even ringing those that pre-ordered a game as soon as the game arrives (I had Portal 2 pre-ordered, my trusty and fairly priced JB ran the day before release date because Valve pulled a good guy move and shipped it early)

it's pretty rare that I pre-order games, they're quite expensive over here so I usually wait a month or so after release if I'm extremely interested in the game and the reviews are good.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I pre-order off the internet. It arrives the day the game is released and sometime a day earlier than the actual release date.

It's mainly because I don't have ID yet and I always get asked for my age in shops. I'm 17 but I've had my age asked for 15s...in the middle of the school day when only college students would be legitimately out.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I do preorder some of my games like the huge AAA titles such as Gears 3 and MW3 but other games like Assassin's Creed Revelations or Battlefield 3 I can wait on for a while and pick them up for Christmas or my birthday in January.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
nope. Pre-order is a stupid idea unless you are condescending to help fund an indie project.

Why oh why would you want to pay a work man for a job before you've seen that the work has been done properly? Doesn't that just encourage the work man to cut corners and fuck off early as he already has your money?

We don't need to be encouraging publishers to be evil, the mange just fine by themselves.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
Bonuses, and the want to reserve a copy so you are guaranteed to get one on release day.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
I really only pre order if there's some kind of bonus that makes it worthwhile... Otherwise, what's the point?