Poll: Prison or Space?

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
You have two choices. You can spend 1 year in prison or 1 year in space. It might sound like an easy choice but here are the conditions for space.

1. You are alone
2. It is a slightly cramped space shuttle you are trapped in. Let's say about 14x8 feet.
3. Your only source of human contact is a monitor on the shuttle's dashboard that periodically asks you questions to simulate conversation.
4. Your only (other) source of entertainment is just to look out the shuttle's windshield(spaceshield?) into the vast depth of space.

And prison is just prison. <--Lazy

Tell me which one you'd prefer and what you'd do there/how long you'd last there.

Prison for me, because I can put on a good psychopath act. No one will touch me.
Edit: It would be your region's prison.

Sanat

Apr 7, 2012
I think I'd go mad in space, but choosing otherwise really depends on the condition of the prison. I mean, if it was the rock or something...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Prison since I'm pretty sure I would lose my sanity with that space option or become some pissed off jerk (somewhat related)-

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
deserteagleeye said:
You have two choices. You can spend 1 year in prison or 1 year in space. It might sound like an easy choice but here are the conditions for space.

1. You are alone
2. It is a slightly cramped space shuttle you are trapped in. Let's say about 14x8 feet.
3. Your only source of human contact is a monitor on the shuttle's dashboard that periodically asks you questions to simulate conversation.
4. Your only (other) source of entertainment is just to look out the shuttle's windshield(spaceshield?) into the vast depth of space.

And prison is just prison. <--Lazy

Tell me which one you'd prefer and what you'd do there/how long you'd last there.

Prison for me, because I can put on a good psychopath act. No one will touch me.
hmmmm American prison, or Norwegian prison?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Obviously prison. There are no advantages to space at all in this scenario.
What this guy said, there's absolutely no incentive to go into space. It would be akin to being put into solitary confinement for a full year which, I'm pretty sure, is itself grossly illegal.

People start going crazy and hallucinating when kept in solitary confinement after just a couple weeks...locked in a space capsule for a full year would just be absolutely ridiculous. You'd likely flip out and open up the airlock just to end it all.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Prison. It's not THAT bad, so long as you are smart and don't go out of your way to piss people off. If you are afraid of getting raped or something, spread the word that you have HIV or something. It should drastically cut back on the number of "suitors"...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Space.

I used to watch Oz. It left me with a very negative impression of prison.

/understatement

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
1 year in zero-gravity alone will fuck someone up irreparably, let alone other factors like space radiation. I can't imagine anyone who values their health, bone density and eyesight picking Space.

The question is more like 1 year in prison or 1 year in a really fucked up prison with 24/7 solitary confinement and unavoidable, irreversible health risks.

If I was going to be sentenced to 1 year imprisoned in Space, I think I'd rather be executed.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Space. Wait... yes. Space.

Prison has people, tightly cramped together, and if this wasn't enough, it comes with a high percentage of veryvery unpleasant people.

I would like to ask, though, am I communicating with a human? Am I allowed to bring a book and something to write?

Anyways, in disregard of the before-mentioned negative effects of zero gravity and radiation: space. I'll return as a zen-monk. Could be worse.

OZWIN

May 14, 2012
Prison by far. I enjoy watching people or a lot of people call it 'people watch'. I stare a lot and the amount of stuff you'd see in prison would be amazing. Going with prison for sure on this one.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Matthew94 said:
Obviously prison. There are no advantages to space at all in this scenario.
What he said. There is no advantage to space. You either go to a place that, as bad as it may sound, is made for people to be there, or you spend the exact same length of time in, what can rightly be called, inhuman conditions. Chance of getting alive and sane out of prison > the same for space.

Now, if the space had any advantage whatsoever, then it would be a better question. Say, you could have a reduced sentence in space...or at least access to any books you want or something anything to make it sound in any way appealing.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
purf said:
Space. Wait... yes. Space.

Prison has people, tightly cramped together, and if this wasn't enough, it comes with a high percentage of veryvery unpleasant people.

I would like to ask, though, am I communicating with a human? Am I allowed to bring a book and something to write?

Anyways, in disregard of the before-mentioned negative effects of zero gravity and radiation: space. I'll return as a zen-monk. Could be worse.
All you would know is what I told you. Maybe it is, or maybe it's just a program. Not knowing that could be another thing to add to your inevitable insanity.
Plus like I said, the view of space is all you got for entertainment. Unless you can make a game out the the monitor asking you questions like Siri.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Prison, I don't want bone and muscle loss/greater risk of cancer. I'd love to go to space, but I'd quite like to live afterwards to enjoy the space memories.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Prison obviously, I mean the only danger there is dropping the soap

[small]so i just wont use soap[/small]

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Give me space, I could live without people, create my own entertainment. Maybe find some way to hack the computer, and if I don't know how I have plenty of time to learn. If not, then I'll have something to look forward to - millions of ££££s in publishing rights whenever I get back from space. I could reveal all about my experiences.