Poll: Races

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Well it is an intresting subject and question.

Is humanity splited up in races? Black, white, asian?

I say no, there is not enough diffrent between a black person and a white person to say that they're diffrent races.

Not only black and white could be diffrent races, maybe you think that aryan and slav is like a shark and a violetear.

I think it is an important topic.

Tell me, what are your thoughts on the subject.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Yes, there are enough clear distinctions between groups of people for them to be different races. Of course, the lines can get blurry and there are plenty of in-betweens. But people are different.

That's not necessarily bad, though. If you think so, then that's what makes you racist. You are not racist for thinking that people are different, just for thinking that they're worse than you because of it. I'm looking at you, Stephen Colbert.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Race pretty much means species. If not, then it's a random barrier put down only by people's false knowledge.
A species is a group of organisms who can only reproduce with each other. Tell me, if you took a willing Texan and a willing Mongolian, would they reproduce? Yes.

There's not really any room for opinion here.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Saying that race doesn't exist is retarded. Saying that it matters what race you are on important levels is retarded-er.

EDIT: "Am I a different color than a black man? Yes. Does that make me better than him? No."

Portkins

May 27, 2008
RACE WAR, RACE WAR!!!!
Race is only dictated by the Melanin in your skin cells last I checked....

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
I thought it was about car races :(

Anyway, I say they exist in a way: There are different species of frogs (for instance), and I think they might be able to cross-breed. So yes, there are different variations of humans, but that doesn't matter one bit.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Okay, you are (partially) correct. I admit my mistake.

race - n.
1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

All humans have descended from a common ancestor. So, the human race (which also could be known as our species, homo sapien) is all the same.

Although that's not even semantics, just arguing over diction.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
ArcWinter said:
Race pretty much means species. If not, then it's a random barrier put down only by people's false knowledge.
A species is a group of organisms who can only reproduce with each other. Tell me, if you took a willing Texan and a willing Mongolian, would they reproduce? Yes.

You, are my number one...

Uhm, sorry for the Joker impression.

I mean, you, I agree.

What you wrote pretty much summed up my point.

Can my cat and a Zebra get a kid. No, then they are diffrent races.

Can I get a kid with some hot chick from africa?

Well, no, that would be a crime. But the point is! That we could if both wanted, and therfor, we are the same race.

TA-DA!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Yes, there are enough clear distinctions between groups of people for them to be different races. Of course, the lines can get blurry and there are plenty of in-betweens. But people are different.

That's not necessarily bad, though. If you think so, then that's what makes you racist. You are not racist for thinking that people are different, just for thinking that they're worse than you because of it. I'm looking at you, Stephen Colbert.
You're forgetting about reverse-racism. You're also racist for thinking they're better because of it.

Eskay

Sep 2, 2007
ArcWinter said:
Race is meant as species.A species is a group of organisms who can only reproduce with each other. Tell me, if you took a willing Texan and a willing Mongolian, would they reproduce? Yes.

Where does this assumption that Race is meant as species come from? I don't think the word species has been used here. Not saying you're wrong, just a little explanation please.
There is even so a great deal of room for opinion. The definition of a species is in itself something that is heavily debated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_problem

Tich

Aug 13, 2008
I'm of the race of Tich, superior in every way.

Other then that I can pretty much say, if you can procreate with it successfully, that's means you are of te same race. The human race.

dstryfe

Mar 27, 2009
I'm kinda worried about the almost 20% who claimed superiority...

Race, as most have come to know it, is a misnomer. The human race is aptly titled. There can be only one. Having said that, there are different (sometimes radically so) traits in different cultures, but these are 'sub-races' (I lost the actual term). So no. Not entirely different races...and asians are better.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Nimbus said:
ElephantGuts said:

You're forgetting about reverse-racism. You're also racist for thinking they're better because of it.
Wait, what? I didn't say that I thought anyone was better than anyone. I was only talking about other people, when did I say I think someone's better because of something?

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Yes there are races...! Should we discuss them...? No we shouldn't!

There happen to be certain differences between people, get over it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Nimbus said:
ElephantGuts said:

Wait, what? I didn't say that I thought anyone was better than anyone. I was only talking about other people, when did I say I think someone's better because of something?
Grr... Damn lack of proper english pronouns...

One can be racist for thinking that some people are better than others because of race.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Nimbus said:
ElephantGuts said:
Nimbus said:
ElephantGuts said:

Grr... Damn lack of proper english pronouns...

One can be racist for thinking that some people are better than others because of race.
No, I didn't say that people can be better than others because of race. I said that some people think they are better than others because of race. And that makes them racist. I do not believe that though.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I am so confused?

Yes we're all humans just different kinds. Kind of like how cats are all cats but slightly different size, shape, coloration means its a different kind of cat. Their organs still work the same, they biologically only possess minor to minute differances.
Maybe if you used to word 'breed' instead you'd feel better? Although that does sound a little racist...