Poll: RANT: Disgusted with Skyrim

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Can't you just shell out some extra money to get an updated 360 controller?
Could that fix your problems?
Maybe original Xbox controllers are no longer as reliable...

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Oh HAI! It's this thread again! I can't really stand that X game din't win GOTY, so I will attempt to tear down the one that did win, with high drama and curse words. I am so clever!

Next, I'm going to go make a post about how MW3 sucks, Battlefield 3 is better, Yahtzee is god, Greg Tito is a shill, and Susan Arendt only loves Uncharted 3 because Naughty Dog paid her school loans. I am so clever.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
joe-h2o said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
JesterRaiin said:
Details. DETAILS !
Indeed hehe. It's all a bit mysterious otherwise :p. We need ALL the info!
Well, I'm a Capricorn,
Good people. Stubborn and often preoccupied with details more than with Big Picture. Hard working, enjoying building something from the scratch (dismantling is fine too). Natural born leaders, creators of structures. They often forget that the rest of humanity isn't that skilled and finds it hard to follow Capricorns. Motto : "it won't happen by itself".

That will be 12.95$ Thank You. ;)

Alade said:
I modded skyrim before booting it up the first time. Bethesda may be leaving too much for the modding community to do...
I didn't. It's fun to compare "how it was before and how it is now". Also, with plethora of mods you won't remember which part is modded and which not, so, your experience is different to those playing Vanilla version.
I encourage everyone to spend at least a few hours playing vanilla version before trying some mods. :)

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Bradeck said:
Oh HAI! It's this thread again! I can't really stand that X game din't win GOTY, so I will attempt to tear down the one that did win, with high drama and curse words. I am so clever!

Next, I'm going to go make a post about how MW3 sucks, Battlefield 3 is better, Yahtzee is god, Greg Tito is a shill, and Susan Arendt only loves Uncharted 3 because Naughty Dog paid her school loans. I am so clever.
Oh look, it's this post again! where the poster didn't actually read the damn OP, so they attempt to sound clever with sarcasm!

Next, Someone will quote them and emulate their post to mock them, then it results in a massive argument ending with warnings/suspensions all around.

shadow.humper

Jan 13, 2012
I have the PS3 version. It occasionally suffers from slowdown, and it's crashed once or twice. But I think it's because I have 6 different saves with different characters.
Yeah, Skyrim can be buggy, it's a big friggin game. But I think Skyrim problems [on PS3] have been exaggerated by people with bad copies, and people who got disappointed by the hype.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Bradeck said:

yea make an effort to at-least read the first paragraph next time >.>
although this sound less like that then posting it in the wrong browser tab

ot:you have a frame rate issue not a mouse issue

1. Update if you haven't
2. under the auto play menu turn down the graphics as a test to see if it helps

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Sleekgiant said:
Alorxico said:
will be hitting Best Buy in the next few days to get some advice
Well there is your problem....
Aha. AAhhaha. AHAHAAAHAAAHAHAA!!!!

*chokes a little*

Best Buy for computer advice? Holy crap, man, do you think those people know a damn thing about computers? They know they should sell you a Dell with warranty, that's what they know.

Honestly, even the Bethesda Skyrim forum - you know, the official one - will get you vastly better advice on how to fix mouse issues.

Now, there's a lot of possibilities as to the problem, but there IS a known mouse issue where the vertical movement sensitivity drops to annoying levels. There's also the possibility of you having the settings too high, and crap FPS causes terrible mouse response. There's also, get this, mouse options both in Windows and in Skyrim so you can adjust sensitivity. Imagine that, hey?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
The Poll needs an option which reads: No, I'm a filthy Console Gamer and the game was designed with a controller in mind.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
When I first started playing Skyrim the mouse sensitivity was way too high, so I paused the game and noticed there was a mouse sensitivity setting, so I messed around with that until it was just right. It's an easy fix if that is your problem.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"as a good portion of the Escapist population is under the age of 18 I resolve NOT to swear"

Nah, fucking go nuts. (Seriously, 12-year-olds swear in school, the only people who think its a big issue are livin' in a box. A cardboard box.)

Anyway, for whatever reason, the mouse sensitivity in the intro was atrocious for me too. Then it got marginally better, but I had to turn off the acceleration through the .ini (and then bump the sensitivity up manually by about 3x). An annoyance - one which certainly shouldn't be there - but not one worthy of 5 game restarts.

Although you should post your actual computer specs, because I can't imagine a Best Buy (assuming that's where you bought it) knows two shits about what they're on about.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK, disgusting? Really? This disgusts you?

I mean, I would usually use a word like "disgusted" when talking about something like the Holocaust, but, you know, not being able to play state-of-the-art videogames is pretty bad, too, I suppose.

Seriously, it's fine if you wanna rant about your terrible experience with this game (I have the PS3 version and have encountered none of these difficulties) but please, don't act like this is some serious problem that we should all be very concerned with. Using words like "ashamed" and "disgusted" only serve to insert pointless drama into what is really a very trivial issue, and it makes you come off as narcissistic and childish. So my advice for dealing with this problem? Maybe try growing a little perspective. There are people in the world who have REAL problems. Reserve your outrage for situations that actually warrant it.
First World Promblems.

Entitlement issues like these, just make me shake my head in disbelief sometimes.

Busdriver580

Dec 22, 2009
The game has a pretty serious problems in that it does a lot of the graphics on the CPU and tends to ignore the graphics card itself. I was having some pretty weird issues until I disabled the games antialiasing.

Prosis

May 5, 2011
Back on Topic

It sounds to me like you're having trouble with the program for Mouse Acceleration.

Skyrim has a specially designed Mouse Acceleration program that I'm pretty sure Oblivion and Morrowind did not.

To the best of my understanding, the purpose of the mouse acceleration was to determine your direction of movement after a certain length, and accelerate it. Ideally, you'd be able to make small changes with your mouse in order to do things with a great amount of control, but still be able to turn around rapidly (since normally in games either its one or the other).

Unfortunately, it doesn't really work. So, for some people, it does nothing, while for other people, it messes up their mouses.

Since this program is in Skyrim's programming, it would apply, regardless of what controller you use.

Here is a fix, copied from Reddit.

Go to \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\steam/steamapps/Skyrim
Open the SkyrimPrefs.ini file with notepad
Find the line bMouseAcceleration=1 (located under [Controls])
Replace the 1 with a 0
Save the file (make sure you don't accidentally save it as Skyrim.ini.txt)

(steam may be located in your program files, if you can't find it under My Games)

As for why the joystick or xbox controller don't work... no idea. I use my touchpad.

Also, IMO, the scale in Skyrim is a bit wonky at times. That is, hallways take longer/shorter to navigate than it looks. This means that its sometimes easy to misjudge how far away things are, and how fast you are moving.

For the most part, this is negligible, but I find Helgen Keep to be particularly bad. I felt the controls were miserable, until I managed to get outside, at which the game felt more "controlled." I figured that it was because I was getting the hang of the controls, but each time I make a new character, Helgen Keep feels like an absolute pain to navigate.

Grit your teeth, let the npc do most of the fighting, and get through Helgen Keep. Once you're out in the open world, then decide if the controls are terrible, or if they're just bad in the starting area.

One final note: "allies" always get in your way when you're fighting. Hitting your teammates is unavoidable. Solution is to travel alone.

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
@xXxJessicaxXx
@M4t3us
It is my plan to build a computer when I have money in six months or so. I am basically just lugging along with this computer for now. Thanks for the advice though :)

@JesterRaiin
Ill try the cap thing.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I notice the OP has not returned to the thread yet. However, it's been less than 24 hours so... will give the benefit of the doubt for now...

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Ermm.. really? disgusted is a strong word, and this really doesnt deserve it, if you really are 'disgusted' at the situation, instead of angry, or frustrated, then you need to sort yourself out before the game.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK, disgusting? Really? This disgusts you?

I mean, I would usually use a word like "disgusted" when talking about something like the Holocaust, but, you know, not being able to play state-of-the-art videogames is pretty bad, too, I suppose.

Seriously, it's fine if you wanna rant about your terrible experience with this game (I have the PS3 version and have encountered none of these difficulties) but please, don't act like this is some serious problem that we should all be very concerned with. Using words like "ashamed" and "disgusted" only serve to insert pointless drama into what is really a very trivial issue, and it makes you come off as narcissistic and childish. So my advice for dealing with this problem? Maybe try growing a little perspective. There are people in the world who have REAL problems. Reserve your outrage for situations that actually warrant it.
WHITE PEOPLE PROBLEMS are still problems!