Poll: rape worse than murder?

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
So in the United states I've noticed extreme leniency to rapists. 1 guy got parole after doing that to a 3 yr old. Rape victims say "i wish you just killed me" i think rape is worse than murder. What do you think? Why?

Also when regular people get revenge for murdering their brothers murderer i don't really think they deserve death. Hell it seems drug dealers get harsher penalties than rapists in the us.

Lived with a serial rapist and he is still free.

EDIT
I am referring to violent rape, not statutory or any other kind.
Also I am just plain sick of rapists getting slaps on the wrist. I AT LEAST think they should be treated with the same contempt as murderers. But the fact that all other prisoners see them as morally reprehensible and will kill them should indicate their character.

Also I was mainly referring to morality of the act.
I definitely think rapists are on average much worse than people who have killed, with the exception of serial killers many murderers have decent justification for their crimes. "Killed a rapist" etc.

EDITEDIT
I would like to apologize to rape victims who I either offended or have brought up traumatic memories with this thread.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Murder. In my mind, there's really no question. Murder takes everything away from the victim, and the victim's loved ones. Rape, while terrible and life-impacting, does not take the same away. The victim, through hardship, can still move on with their lives alongside their loved ones.

Murder is final, but a rape victim can still live the rest of their life.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Depends, you could justify murder in some way. Rape on the other hand...not so much if at all. I don't know why but rape just seems crueler to me, sure they're still alive but it's still a horrible horrible thing to do to a person.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Risingblade said:
Depends, you could justify murder in some way. Rape on the other hand...not so much if at all. I don't know why but rape just seems crueler to me, sure they're still alive but it's still a horrible horrible thing to do to a person.
People who say that you can justify murder don't understand what murder is. Murder isn't killing someone, murder is illegally killing someone without justification.

If you kill someone in the heat of passion it's not murder, it's manslaughter. If you kill someone in the defense of yourself or others it's not murder it's self defense. Murder can't be justified because to be murder it has to be unjustifiable, that's what makes it murder.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Risingblade said:
People who say that you can justify murder don't understand what murder is. Murder isn't killing someone, murder is illegally killing someone without justification.

If you kill someone in the heat of passion it's not murder, it's manslaughter. If you kill someone in the defense of yourself or others it's not murder it's self defense. Murder can't be justified because to be murder it has to be unjustifiable, that's what makes it murder.
That would be true if we were talking purely from a legal standpoint. However if you look at the TC's example, killing someone out of revenge for killing a loved one, some people would actually find that justifiable. Is it still murder? Yes but some people can morally justify it.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I would much rather be raped than murdered, and no amount opinions from rape victims will convince me otherwise. Everyone takes rape differently; some are so distraught that they kill themselves anyway, some are haunted by it for the rest of their life, and some can more or less get over it and live a happy life.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Risingblade said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Risingblade said:

That would be true if we were talking purely from a legal standpoint. However if you look at the TC's example, killing someone out of revenge for killing a loved one, some people would actually find that justifiable. Is it still murder? Yes but some people can morally justify it.
Some would also say that raping or torturing someone for revenge is justified.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
Risingblade said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Risingblade said:

Some would also say that raping or torturing someone for revenge is justified.
True, but like I said it's a tad harder to do so.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Well for the victim, murder. Impossible to recover from.

But I'm likely to think a rapist is more irredeemable. Some murderers may be just as bad, but motives for murder can vary greatly. There's a lot more room for them to not be utter scum because of that. Rapists though, fucking sick pieces of shit, all of them. No reason I can see the least bit of sympathy for any motive they may have.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Murder can be committed in the heat of the moment. Rape can't.
Once you've been murdered, you can't be murdered again. Not so for rape.
Murder can be committed in seconds, rape can't.
Rape is used to subdue, break and control a person. Murder isn't.
Murder can be sudden and without pain and suffering. Rape can't.
Rape can lead to unwanted pregnancies, psychological breakdown and other issues. Murder can't, at least for the victim.

On the other hand

You can get over getting raped, but not over getting murdered.
Being raped causes untold sorrow upon your close ones, but you're still around. Not so for murder.
When someone is murdered, not only are they destroyed, but also everything they could have been will be destroyed.

In the end, I think the above is worse, and the leniency for rapists makes it worse.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
bartholen said:
Ehh. What? Sure it is. All be it indirectly at times. At lest in the context of a war. Most notably a "Scorch earth" campaign, or "total war." If you can murder someone's family you can brake and control that person. Besides in the end isn't the ultimate control over a person taking away there autonomy? In this case there life?

And anyway disregarding pregnancies (maybe not?), everything you said about rape can apply to black mail. Witch well a shitty thing to do is nowhere near as bad as murder or rape. Hell a good portion of them apply to slander. Eff whatever to each his own. (odd saying that about this subject)

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Eddie the head said:
bartholen said:
Ehh. What? Sure it is. All be it indirectly at times. At lest in the context of a war. Most notably a "Scorch earth" campaign, or "total war." If you can murder someone's family you can brake and control that person. Besides in the end isn't the ultimate control over a person taking away there autonomy? In this case there life?

And anyway disregarding pregnancies (maybe not?), everything you said about rape can apply to black mail. Witch well a shitty thing to do is nowhere near as bad as murder or rape. Hell a good portion of them apply to slander. Eff whatever to each his own. (odd saying that about this subject)
In this case I was referring to the victim in particular, and not their close of kin or friends, but what you say is also true, albeit I'd phrase it differently. In the case you described it's not, in my perception, murder itself used to control people, but the threat of it. You can murder a person close to the one you're trying to control, but not the person itself, because what's there left of them to control anymore?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ending a life is worse than ruining it, right? Rape victims can get back on track, murder victims stay dead.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
sigh

I really, really don't like the idea of putting these two things in a "which is worse" argument. They're both terrible, terrible crimes in their own way, and shouldn't be compared nor pitted against each other like it's a competition. At the end of the day, nobody wins. No matter what side you choose it doesn't make you look good. It's a pointless argument.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
bartholen said:
Eddie the head said:
bartholen said:

In this case I was referring to the victim in particular, and not their close of kin or friends, but what you say is also true, albeit I'd phrase it differently. In the case you described it's not, in my perception, murder itself used to control people, but the threat of it. You can murder a person close to the one you're trying to control, but not the person itself, because what's there left of them to control anymore?
Fair enough I guess, but I still think the ultimate "control" of a person is ending there life. If you see it as different. Well ok, we both agree it's bad that's good enough for me. Considering the difference is completely subjective in the end.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
inu-kun said:
I'm going to get crucified for this but it must be said:

Not only is murder far far worse than rape, rape is completely equivelant to torture and can be said to be just a different type of it.

I think the reason people think that rape is so bad is born of sexism, the notion that women that were raped are now "less" off a women or "defiled" is drilled into our heads from a young age causing us to view the act as ridiculously bad (it's still a pretty horrible thing to do) and make the victims think of themselves as lesser people.
That may be the case in other countries, but in the United States more men are raped than women. And these men will lose all their respect for being "bitches". US Prisons are rough places.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Murder. There is no coming back from Death. Rape sucks, but you can recover eventually. And even if you don't ,well at least you are alive to tell about it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
You can walk away from a rape scene after you have been raped.

Not so much from a murder scene.

It's pretty obvious which one is worse.