Poll: Re-Readable Books

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
I've re-read The Hitchhikers series multiple times, I re-read the later Harry Potter books, The Alchemist, and Let the Great World Spin.

verbose123

Feb 16, 2010
It seems that I am quite fond of Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Jane Eyre. I have been reading and re-reading them since childhood.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
chronicfc said:
Recently (and by recently I mean right now) I've been thinking about books that could be read more than once. Personally I don't re-read books a whole lot, as I tend to find a lot of books that I enjoy to be very long. However, there have been books that I've read and enjoyed many times, and these books have all been mainly books in the Douglas Adams Hitchhiker series. So I was wandering, Escapists, what books, if any, have you read over and over again?
I hardly EVER reread books, but there is a quartet I read recently that I'm almost done rereading now. It's called the Truth series, and it's by Dawn COok. The four books are First Truth, Hidden Truth, Lost Truth, and Forgotten Truth.

The reason I'm rereading it is because it all ties together so well. Events and characters in the beginning tie very well with the end, and the end also influences the beginning. So, I'm rereading with the knowledge of the end in mind, and I'm picking up on many subtleties I missed (or didn't find important) before--subtleties that hint at what comes in the future. It's a very tightly wrapped story, and I highly recommend it.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I think I read watership down like 4 or 5 times over the course of many years.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
These aren't really novels per se, but .... the Fighting Fantasy series!!! Steve Jackson's "The Shamutanti Hills"/"Khare Cityport of Traps"/"The Seven Serpents"/"The Crown of Kings" from the Sorcery! FF series. Also, I really enjoyed Star Strider, Seas of Blood, and Flames of Fury.

strider2u

Feb 6, 2011
Hegemony or Survival - Chomsky

Like quoting him anytime someone says America is the greatest/peaceful/prosperous/moral country on Earth. Quells their nationality.

Oh, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Harry Turtledove's Darness Series

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
When I was 8 I read the same book 8 times, and then I never re-read a book ever again.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
Kurt Vonnegut and Chuck Palahniuk (I think I spelt them both right) are easily re-readable and I would highly recommend their books to anyone here.

Jul 11, 2011
Jurrasicpark, The Dark Tower: The Last Gunslinger, and my personal favorite Stephan King's IT. Read those books all the time.
Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
Метро 2033 (Metro 2033) by Dmitry Glukhovsky

I reread it every year at some point.
Did you read the book in Russian? Or has it been translated into English yet?

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I read the hitch-hikers guide series twice. It was a good call, I missed stuff the first time.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
Almost never, I only re-read a book when it gets to the point where I've pretty much forgotten everything about the book.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I've reread most of my books at least once, but the ones I've reread the most are my Classic Battletech/MechWarrior books. I've read them so much over the years the covers and spines are trashed which is unfortunate because replacements would be difficult and expensive to obtain.

_Depression

Jun 28, 2011
The books I've reread are as follows (and yes I've charted how many times I've read each one, so I listed them in number of most reads, from most to least).

Ender's Game
Speaker of the Dead
Redwall
Mattimeo
Taggerung
HP 4
Wyrms
Bartimaeus Trilogy: Amulet of Samarkand
BT: The Golem's Eye
BT: Ptolemy's Gate
Anything else from Orson Scott Card or Brian Jacques

Flig