Poll: Rolling Stone's Top 10 "Best Video Games Right Now"

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
What I find comical is the lack of application of open mindedness here.

All any publication ever is; is an opinion. DJ Hero is at the top of the list because somebody believed it in their opinion to be good enough to be there.

Saying that their opinion is worthless while lording your own is a bit of a hypocrisy, no?

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
It looks like their criteria is focusing on recent releases despite "right now" allowing for previous games.
But I'm really surprised to not see, say, Uncharted 2 there (though I'd disagree with it.)

If this is limited to recent releases, then I'd insist that Demon's Souls and Dragon Age be included in there. If not... then they're way off base.

Aug 25, 2009
Wow 36 no's 0 yes's at the time of posting, that's pretty damming evidence that rolling stone magazine is universally hated. Also max payne is still out as far as I knew, so is fallout 3, why aren't they there.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, just wow

DJ Hero = Fail

GH: VH = Fail

Those games should be nowhere near the top ten, stupid music games that have been recycled a shitload of times.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
philzibit said:
In the November 12th issue of Rolling Stone, they have a article called "The 10 Best Games Right Now". According to them, they are:

3. Brutal Legend
4. Left 4 Dead 2
7. Assassin's Creed 2
9. GTA 4: The Ballad Of Gay Tony

*snip*

(I also read this in the magazine itself, I can't find it on there website, but here is the url to the issue's content: http://www.rollingstone.com/issue1091)
Edited to keep in the worthy games. The list needs Borderlands, Dragon Age, Batman AA and The Orange Box.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
They are stupid, that is a terrible list. I've never liked Rolling Stone (Or The Rolling Stones for that matter) for one they hate Led Zeppelin (So I'm told) and they named their magaznie after a band I despise. So, in short, screw them.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
1. DJ Hero - I havent played it but i really doubt it being the best game out from the videos i've seen
2. COD: Modern Warfare 2 - Maybe Correct but they havent played it yet
3. Brutal Legend - I love tim but there are a few too many flaws with this to be as high as this
4. Left 4 Dead 2 - Maybe correct but they only have a short demo to go on
5. Guitar Hero: Van Halen - NO! GH2, GH3,GH: World Tour, GH: Metallica and GH5 were all better.
6. NBA 2K10: No just no. If this was the case why not just put 7,8,9 as NfL2k10, Fifa10,Nbl10
7. Assassin's Creed 2: Thy havent played it
8. Avatar: They havent played it
9. GTA 4: The Ballad Of Gay Tony: I havent played it so possibly
10.New Super Mario Bros. WII : Adds 2 things to the ds game. 4 players AND THE ABILITY TO LET THE COMPUTER CLEAR THE GAME FOR YOU. WTF?
It looks like the list of a person who has been listening to fox news reports about games rated by exposure

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Excuse me one second.
Vuljatar said:
DJ Hero don't belong anywhere near that list.
Where is Rock Band 2?
First of all, you're missing the point. The list is meant to be the 10 best games from Q4 this year.
Second of all, you are an unbelievable hypocrite. I mean, you've basically said that, because you prefer guitar music to electronic music, noone should buy DJ Hero, despite the fact the mixes are FUCKING AWESOME. I won't be buying it until the price comes down though.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Definitely not the top ten best right now.
Some of those haven't even come out yet.

However, that is a very accurate list of the Most Overhyped games out right now.
Maybe it was supposed to be the ten best hyped games right now?
Acidwell said:
1. DJ Hero - I havent played it but i really doubt it being the best game out from the videos i've seen
2. COD: Modern Warfare 2 - Maybe Correct but they havent played it yet
3. Brutal Legend - I love tim but there are a few too many flaws with this to be as high as this
4. Left 4 Dead 2 - Maybe correct but they only have a short demo to go on
5. Guitar Hero: Van Halen - NO! GH2, GH3,GH: World Tour, GH: Metallica and GH5 were all better.
6. NBA 2K10: No just no. If this was the case why not just put 7,8,9 as NfL2k10, Fifa10,Nbl10
7. Assassin's Creed 2: Thy havent played it
8. Avatar: They havent played it
9. GTA 4: The Ballad Of Gay Tony: I havent played it so possibly
10.New Super Mario Bros. WII : Adds 2 things to the ds game. 4 players AND THE ABILITY TO LET THE COMPUTER CLEAR THE GAME FOR YOU. WTF?
It looks like the list of a person who has been listening to fox news reports about games rated by exposure
Actually, that brings up an interesing point. Where HAS DJ Hero been getting a lot of press? (Asuming they didn't just pick a random music game out of a hat.)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Starke said:
GonzoGamer said:
Definitely not the top ten best right now.
Some of those haven't even come out yet.

However, that is a very accurate list of the Most Overhyped games out right now.
Maybe it was supposed to be the ten best hyped games right now?
Then it's a great list.