Poll: RPG King?

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
Amnestic said:
Bioware, followed by Obsidian.

I've never been as enamoured as most people seem to be with Bethesda on this site. Their games are okay, interesting even, but I never feel very "RPG" in them. Morrowind and Oblivion both felt like hack and slash (especially Oblivion) and Fallout 3 was a shooter with a few light RPG elements added to the mix, most of which felt very inconsequential.
have you even played one of those games? There all those different skills scaling from 1 to 100 each game having like thirty skill trees, an while the character dialogue in no where near as adapt as bio-ware's it's still a fairly capable and complicated system and while combat skills are essential there are so many situations where you can out and out by pass the combat. And describe a first person game as a hack and slash (correct me if I'm wrong but that means god of war right?)is just strange. a shooter with light RPG elements, that one is so annoying, frustrating and bespeaks ignorance. light RPG elements. with the all the many skills pick locks computer hacking dialogue trees decisions quests loot customizable appearance and the massive variation between tech, stealth and heavy to describe the elements as light is incredible. I'm pretty shore those things are the staples of RPGs.
whatever the case Bethesda gets my vote because I'm a massive elder scrolls fan. I love the fallout series as well (not tactics or brother hood of steel, damn those were bad) so Black Isle takes my second

Mar 30, 2010
Black Isle, definitely. First of all they produced Fallout 1 & 2, and then they went on to co-release Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 with Bioware.

As a Black Isle fan it does annoy how people will rave about Bioware, citing one of their greatest achievements as the Baldur's Gate series whilst never mentioning that BG was a collaberation between Black Isle and Bioware. Don't get me wrong, Bioware have some good titles, but they shouldn't be given sole credit for joint projects.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Black Isle, definitely. First of all they produced Fallout 1 & 2, and then they went on to co-release Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 with Bioware.

As a Black Isle fan it does annoy how people will rave about Bioware, citing one of their greatest achievements as the Baldur's Gate series whilst never mentioning that BG was a collaberation between Black Isle and Bioware. Don't get me wrong, Bioware have some good titles, but they shouldn't be given sole credit for joint projects.
not here to defend bioware or anything, but look at the credits.

So while the BGs have a Black Isle logo on the box, all BIS did for BG1 was swap some assets with Bioware and BG2 is entirely Bioware.
For better of for worse, Bioware deserves all the credit for BG1 + 2.

WriterX

Mar 21, 2008
I cannot say which one is the "RPG" King since each of those companies works on a slightly different style of RPG. I liked Fallout 3, BG 2, Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2). I confess I did not play Deux Ex too much, but the bits and pieces that I did play did leave a positive impression as well.

I suppose it also is a question of what each person prefers. Some like a bit more action oriented RPGs (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Deus Ex), other classic style RPGs (BG 2, NWN). Just can't pick a winner here.

Mar 30, 2010
veloper said:
Grouchy Imp said:

So while the BGs have a Black Isle logo on the box, all BIS did for BG1 was swap some assets with Bioware and BG2 is entirely Bioware.
Hey, I know I'm not going to be able to sway anyone's viewpoint here, and that perhaps posting that particular opinion was not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I just felt that it needed to be said. Whilst I'll admit that Bioware did the lion's share of the work on the Baldur's Gate series, it certainly didn't do ALL of it, so I'm just saying maybe a little bit of credit where it's due.

Back OT, you never mentioned YOUR developer of choice - I'm guessing by the avatar either Black Isle as well or Bethesda?

Captain-Cuntmouth

Jul 1, 2010
Black Isle all the way...

Fallout tactics? Icewid-dale 1 + 2...

it's pretty much archetypal to any RPG's and ARPG's...

Then again, who produced Wonder Boy for the Mega-Drive? I'd vote those guys in any day...

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Troika will always be tops in my book.

Their titles included Arcanum and VTM Bloodlines.
Troika. Hells yeah.

Arcanum is still my favourite PCRPG.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Bioware, then ATLUS. No idea why Obsidian is and Atlus isn't, considering Atlus made the Shin Megami Tensei games (one of the best RPG series I've ever played). Obsidian bludgeons good franchises someone else started, like Neverwinter Nights.
Arisato-kun said:
Atlus since the Shin Megami Tensei series is pure genius.
God damn ninja monkeys!! Stop ninja'ing me...

Bioware has my love for Neverwinter Nights, probably the best RPG game I've ever played (MULTIPLAYER RPG!!! YEAAAH!), Mass Effect series (awesome RPGs with great combat system), Jade Empire (awesome action-RPG), KotOR (again, Obsidian butchered the sequel). Atlus is second because I just finished Persona 4 for the second time, on Expert, 120 hours spent in total, 91% Personae in compendium and after extra boss.

Oh, and I can't wait till I get my hands on either Digital Devil Saga or Mass Effect 3. But about past games, pre-2004? Bioware it is.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
veloper said:
Grouchy Imp said:

Hey, I know I'm not going to be able to sway anyone's viewpoint here, and that perhaps posting that particular opinion was not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I just felt that it needed to be said. Whilst I'll admit that Bioware did the lion's share of the work on the Baldur's Gate series, it certainly didn't do ALL of it, so I'm just saying maybe a little bit of credit where it's due.
Don't even go there. If you start giving BIS credit for BG, then you'd have to allow Bioware a great deal of credit for Ps:t and IWD.
Why? Because the infinity engine was made by Bioware and Ps:t en IWD run on the infinity engine.

You'll have Bioware fanboys claiming Planescape for Bioware over the corpse of BIS and you won't have any arguments against it, because you made a big deal out of even less involvement yourself.

Back OT, you never mentioned YOUR developer of choice - I'm guessing by the avatar either Black Isle as well or Bethesda?
Already have, in this very thread.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Judgement101 said:
Amnestic said:
Bioware, followed by Obsidian.

I've never been as enamoured as most people seem to be with Bethesda on this site. Their games are okay, interesting even, but I never feel very "RPG" in them. Morrowind and Oblivion both felt like hack and slash (especially Oblivion) and Fallout 3 was a shooter with a few light RPG elements added to the mix, most of which felt very inconsequential.

Bioware takes the cake, and if they continue as they are, they likely always will.
Obsidian for second? Really? Huh, I didn't think they had many fans.
Obsidian has generally been pretty good in the storytelling department. Hell, I'll even come right out and say that I liked NWN2 more than NWN. Unfortunately, they have a tendency to release games far too early (KOTOR2) and generally buggy (Alpha Protocol, NWN2).

Mar 30, 2010
veloper said:
Grouchy Imp said:
veloper said:
Grouchy Imp said:
>snip<
>snip<
Don't even go there. If you start giving BIS credit for BG, then you'd have to allow Bioware a great deal of credit for Ps:t and IWD.
Why? Because the infinity engine was made by Bioware and Ps:t en IWD run on the infinity engine.

You'll have Bioware fanboys claiming Planescape for Bioware over the corpse of BIS and you won't have any arguments against it, because you made a big deal out of even less involvement yourself.
Alright, that's a fair point well made.

BTW apologies for not spotting your Troika post, I'm sat at work at the minute and so only skimming the posts in a vain attempt to still appear busy!

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Hardly seems fair to single one out, but my favourites are -
Square Enix - Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy
Bethesda - Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3
Atlus - Shin Megami Tensei
Capcom - Breath Of Fire

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
veloper said:
You already have alot of Bioware fans who honestly believe that Bioware made Planescape Torment.

BoxCutter

Jul 3, 2009
I love Bethesda, but BioWare definitely takes the cake here. KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2. Its hard to compete with that lineup.

Twin Of Aphex

Nov 7, 2008
I had to go with Bethesda, They are the only company that have produced RPG's I have gotten totally lost in, but iam pretty new to the RPG genre.