Poll: Satanism

Audun

Oct 14, 2009
Where is the distinction between a cult and a religion? To me it appears that satanism is an christian cult. Which deifies satan, a character in the christian bible, with a childish philosophy to add credibility.

Am i justified in comparing this offshoot sect with a rebellious teenager?

Edit: Choosing the upside down cross as a symbol for a religion without first researching what it meant seems like something an 8 year old would do.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
People usually have problems with Satanism because it contains the word "satan" but their idealogy actually seems pretty good if you think about it. Eye for an eye, discipline and yet indulgence. It's not actually a BAD way of thinking.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
InfiniteSingularity said:
I'm curious to see what people here think of Satanism as an ideology. Firstly, though, I want to know what you all actually know about Satanism BEFORE looking it up. Then once you've done that read this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism] and this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism] and tell me your opinion on it
What, no option for indifference? I cannot honestly take part in your poll.

My understanding of Satanists is like my understanding of Bin Ladin. Instead of listening to pundits and seminarists and other people who make their living scaring the shit out of me, I listen to what Satanists say about themselves, their motivations, etc.

They don't worship, or even believe in, Satan. Most of them appear to think they're hot shit. That's about it. My opinion's pretty similar to scientology. It seems to be more of a fun little secret society for snobs than an actual religion. Now, let's chase down those links!

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Firstly, i'm not religious.

Before reading the wiki links:
I went to their website once, to check out what they were about. Their ten commandments made far more sense and were far more moral than what the christian version is. A lot about treating others equally/ same as you wish to be treated.

After reading the wiki links:
Yeah, pretty much the same. Got a better picture now (it was only once several years ago), i didn't know it was so splintered (but then again, what religion isn't?), and i like the idea of concentrating on humans and oneself for worship (Still don't understand the point of "worshiping", but i do appreciate a more humanist approach to religion). What i don't like is the LaVeyan promotion of far too much self-sufficiency, vengeance, and sometimes even unprovoked violence.

I have nothing against people believing in this stuff, it's one of the better versions of religion i've seen (not as good as, Buddhism or Shinto, but definitely better than christianity). But as an organized religion, i'm still against it.

(lulz! when chrome corrects me for misspelling christianity, it insists on capitalizing. Doesn't treat satanism the same.)

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I actually don't have much of a problem with Satanists, really. At least they're not trying to force the government to reflect their own values or shove their ideologies down people's throats all the damn time. They can believe whatever they like, as long as it doesn't harm me or my rights in some way.

Same reason why I've got no problem with Jainists or Buddhists; they don't bother me, so I don't bother them.

Simple really.

Blood Countess

Oct 22, 2010
I don't view what Levey made as Satanism since I know both Traditional Satanists and Luciferians but I got no problem with the ideals since the ones I know are honestly good people themselves to me but some are douches but that is how all groups are

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Venereus said:
Is the Santa thread ready yet? Can you link me too it, please?

Seriously, why are we giving satanism attention?
OP, you've gotta quit sourcing Wikipedia. After reading the first couple of paragraphs of link 1: here's some things I noticed.

In the book of Job he is called Satan (meaning "accuser."). Satan means "enemy." That's why in the movies you always see an Arab guy shouting about "American Satans."

...and acted as prosecutor in God's court. Satan was the angel in charge of music. He was not a "heavenly lawyer."

This character is the bringer of Armageddon and Apocalypse as featured within the Book of Revelation. The Beast and the AntiChrist, 2 separate figures, bring about the Apocalypse in the Book of Revelation.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Astoria said:
Satanism is about self worship. What most people think is satanism is devil worship and a completely different thing. There's different types of satanism just like with christianity.
I applaud you for knowing this.
Very few people do tragically.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
If you thought regular religious people were whackjobs who had no legs to stand on when they claim their religion was truth, this is just going to be a field day for you.

Ultimately, the practice is harmless, I'm not going to say it should be outlawed or anything, but come ON. There's no way this isn't anything more than a direct derivation of Judeo-Christian beliefs at the beginning of the previous century to make a statement against the social norm.

On the plus side, its presence allowed Ozzy to make the song Mr. Krowley, so it all balances out.

Nopraptor

Jun 18, 2010
@ Istavan: I think there is a big diffrence between the two, Scientology charges you money to be part of their curch and is a profitable organization, on the other hand satanism is free and open to the public

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Poll has not enough options. I really don't care about the faiths of people I do not know so long as they aren't being shoved in my face. And I haven't met an evangelical satanist myself, so I'm inclined to prefer it more than christianity at this point. It is someone's personal choice, and if it doesn't affect my friends or myself, and isn't hurting anyone, then anything goes.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
This birngs back memories from my world religion class. Amd yes I went to a Catholic School.

Also when a scientist debates a theologin nothing will get accomplished. Also If I remember correctly the founder of the religion was arrested for claims of sacrificeing children though I think these were false claims just to shut him down

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
I'm extremely curious about Satanism and have taken to carrying a copy of Anton Szander LaVey's Satanic Bible around with me for reference, but I don't think the highly egotistical ideology of it's morals are properly suited to my world view... That being said, I find glee in the cynically and cutting disregard for the aspects of life which I find abhorrent. I make a study in Satanism, I don't practice it.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Out of all the believes i dont follow its maybe the best i ever read about. Indeed i adapted a lot i was tought by LaVey and the following, into my own way of living.
It actually wouldnt be the worst basis for a society.

James13v

May 24, 2010
Just as retarded as the vast majority of religions that have been thought up.

From an ideological perspective: it seems to be pretty unempathetic; so not for me/directly opposed to my own ideas.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Isn't Satanism what teens do to feel edgy?

Hmm. Organised religion is not for me, but I couldn't care less about what you think is right. Suit yourself.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009

Hmm. Organised religion is not for me, but I couldn't care less about what you think is right. Suit yourself.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009